Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

SOCAL - 29 Palms to Catalina

SOCAL - 29 Palms to Catalina

Today we will fly from the Sonoran Desert over the San Bernadino Mountains  then to the Pacific coast before finishing at Catalina

Starting from 29 Palms (KTNP) airport the route proceeds west to the first stop at Big Bear (L35), followed a departure over Big Bear Lake and a climb over the mountains of the San Gorgonio Wilderness, then a steep descent and landing at Banning (KBNG).  The route continues following I-10 east to the next stop Palm Springs (KPSP).  From Palm Springs we head southwest to waypoint BALDI and through the pass between the San Jacinto and Santa Rosa Wilderness Areas.  Continuing on we pass the Palomar Observatory before landing at Pauma Valley Air Park (95L).  This is followed by a stop at Oceanside (KOKB) before a long leg to Los Alamitos (KSLI).  The final leg will overfly Long Beach Harbor before turning south to cross the San Pedro Channel to Catalina Island.  After circumnavigating the island we will finish the tour by landing at the Airport in the Sky (KAVX).

catalina.jpg

The flightplans for Plan-G and FSX can be found here.

Aircraft.
The route is 243nm.  I will be flying the A2A Comanche but as always you are free to fly what you like.

Scenery

Recommended:  Orbx NA Southern California

Optional Payware Airports:

29 Palms Airport   (30% off)

L35 Big Bear City Airport

KPSP Palm Springs International Airport  (35% off)

KAVX Catalina Airport

Particulars
Date and time: December 24, 2016, 1900 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. Latest TEST version is 
here. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked
 here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Please set your own starting time. Recommend that you set your initial clock at 1330 local time to account for flight time and the usual "faffing about" time.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Please set your own starting time. Recommend that you set your initial clock at 1330 local time to account for flight time and the usual "faffing about" time.

Big responsibility and one that will take a bit of getting used to. :Nail Biting:

I've got a nice warm feeling in my tummy about this flight. :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

A stunningly beautiful flight plan.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Brian, when you decide on your plane -- and if you have a moment -- might you please be so kind as to fill in the aircraft information under our multiplayer spreadsheet here. You have a slot already reserved for you. Doing so will save everyone some time. Thanks.
--M

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

No, you cannot land a Constellation on Big Bear, Banning, several others or Catalina. So leave it at home! :Shame On You:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

OK, I'll fill it in, Now I have to really decide what I want to fly....  I like my Shrike but I think I'll need something that is turbo-charged and can handle IFR conditions as well. My Shrike isn't the best for that...

Ciao!

Hope ya'all had a nice Christmas. 

Thanks for the flight plan Jeff! Thoroughly enjoyable!

Here's a PIREP for the flight. Could've been better, I need to remember as SOP to start the FSJoin recorder when we are all joined up. All of the recordings between Oceanside ( I called it Riverside :fool: - The race fan in me, too late to change, sources are gone )  thru Long Beach were unusable because of the network glitches we were having at that point.. (Real weird stuff showing!)  

Half way through compilation (up to Oceanside) I found that OCam, a screen recorder that I have used until now, used so many resources and full of nag/adware that the recording playback was nearly unusable at some airports. Searched around and found Open Broadcaster Software Studio, open source, 64bit & super light weight on the system! Highly recommended if you like to do screen recordings/streaming, for anything.

Have a happy & prosperous New Year!

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I missed that one, it sure looks like you had fun!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Today is the first day that I have been able to really focus and "feel" like I'm going to survive.  I hope this improve trend continues.  I feel somewhat human again.

Having said that I will look to participate in something in the near future before I head out for three months of "snow birding" to southern California in three weeks.

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3