Sign in to follow this  
jimcarrel

ASN16 and sun

Spent most of the day trying to get the sun graphic back in P3d with  hotfix 2. (Client install only)

I did have asn16 + asca (both SP1) + Envtex. (and throw in PTA). Some how I lost the sun graphic.

I ended up uninstalling ASN16, ASCA and Envtex. Also reinstalled hotfix 2 Client.

Refreshed shaders and ran P3D without ASN16 and I had sun. Later on after running P3D a couple of times, I couldn't stand being without ASN so I reinstalled it. I didn't install ASCA. I started ASN, then P3D. Low and behold, no sun. I've got the reflexion and shadows on pavement but no sun graphic.

There has to be something left over from ASN16 that I can't find. After un installing ASN16 I checked everywhere I could think of for a data.ini or something that would store the misconfigured "no sun" data. Even checked thru the registry. If I can't get the sun back, I may have to fly something else.

Anyone run across this before? 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Jim - which is it ASN or AS16?  There is no ASN16. Did you try restoring from Envtex and/or PTA? AS16 or ASN . I haver a feeling that between the backups made by ASCA, Envtex and PTA you have somehow lost something. I would uninstall the P3D client.. Delete the shadersHLSL folder if there is any remaining files and then reinstall P3D Client. See how that goes. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for the input, what I have done is found below, of course most all addons are now gone and will have to install again, but that is fine. AS16 is now working fine. I agree, envtex helped to lose some stuff. All these addons that backup original files can be disastrous, because you don't always remember what "original" files each on is backing up. You can easily lose the real "original files". 

Delete the Lockheed Martin folders, Launch Prepar3D and test 

Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin 

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ►Lockheed Martin

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I also had my sun disappear after installing the hotfix.  I am running ENVTEX and since I am using their sun texture I did a reinstall of the ENVTEX textures and the issue was fixed.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Hi, Flic1.

I did do that, but still had no sun if I ran AS16.

All was fine without it running.

For now, I am in doubt that I really need PTA or ENVTEX, especially after this "little" mix-up. I think I will stick with what I have now. 

Hi, Flic1.

For now, I am in doubt that I really need PTA or ENVTEX, especially after this "little" mix-up. I think I will stick with what I have now. 

That's odd, I also run AS16 with ASCA plus PTA and the sun has not disappeared again with everything running.  That's a strange one for sure as I don't know how AS16 could effect a sun texture.  Hope you can figure it out!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Hi, Flic1.

Well I spoke to soon!!  I am having the issue again with the sun disappearing and my sky textures are not right either (they seem to stay the same, no sunset/sunrise).  It appears to happen when ASCA loads in textures.  I'm thinking it has something to do with ENVTEX....???

Eric

No, you won't catch me blaming it on one program, when you have multiple programs that back up textures and efffect's, it is bound to happen.

I would be more apt to blame myself. I shouldn't be trusted to keep track of "what" I've done with "which" texture program and "when" I did it in relation to another of the multiple texture programs. It's confusing just thinking about it.

So for now I'm stubbornly set on not running PTA, ENVTEX, and ASCA at the same time, it is too tempting to change something here, and then something in that other program. Shaders and textures get all mixed up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...lol

No, you won't catch me blaming it on one program, when you have multiple programs that back up textures and efffect's, it is bound to happen.

I would be more apt to blame myself. I shouldn't be trusted to keep track of "what" I've done with "which" texture program and "when" I did it in relation to another of the multiple texture programs. It's confusing just thinking about it.

So for now I'm stubbornly set on not running PTA, ENVTEX, and ASCA at the same time, it is too tempting to change something here, and then something in that other program. Shaders and textures get all mixed up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...lol

I have been troubleshooting the issue and I now believe it is ASCA causing the problem.  I took ENVTEX out of the equation and restored original textures and this still happens.  I can sit and watch the sun disappear as AS16/ASCA load in their wx/textures.  It does not happen when I run P3D without AS16/ASCA so I think that eliminates a PTA shader issue.  I even uninstalled/reinstalled ASCA to be sure I have the latest build....so something is amiss! I have posted on the HiFI boards to see if they can help. 

Eric

Ha! I was really tempted to re install ASCA, but I'm holding off. I was also tempted to play with PTA again, but then I realized that I would need to remember and delete the cached back up files in PTA before I ran it again, and backup again the original shaders that I just spent a couple of hours getting back into P3D.

Anyway, for those who celebrate, Merry Christmas!

More on AS16... Today I was only running only AS16 and nothing else that messes with shaders or textures. Late this afternoon, my sun disappeared again.

AFter several trials with the Time Preview trying to track the sun across the sky I turned Fog layer off in P3D and the sun appeared, turned fog back on and it immediately disappeared. So its not neccesarily anything other than P3D. Fog is still turned on in AS16.

I made quite a few short flights in different ports of call and I couldn't see any detrimental effects with clouds with P3D's volumetric fog turned off. So now I'm off to play with PTA.

More on AS16... Today I was only running only AS16 and nothing else that messes with shaders or textures. Late this afternoon, my sun disappeared again.

AFter several trials with the Time Preview trying to track the sun across the sky I turned Fog layer off in P3D and the sun appeared, turned fog back on and it immediately disappeared. So its not neccesarily anything other than P3D. Fog is still turned on in AS16.

I made quite a few short flights in different ports of call and I couldn't see any detrimental effects with clouds with P3D's volumetric fog turned off. So now I'm off to play with PTA.

Hi ...I just made the same discovery...the visibility layer is obstructing the sun.  I still find it a bit odd because my visibility at the time was reported 10 miles with just some high scattered clouds.  Not a typical day where the sun would be obscured.  No big deal though, at least we figured out what it was!  Enjoy the holiday!

Eric