Sign in to follow this  
darem

Need your advice on upgrade path

Hi,

could you help me with one question that bothers me?

My System right now: i7-3820, 16GB RAM, GTX 680, Win 10 64bit. All drives are SSDs. Single Monitor 1920x1080

I can run P3D quite ok, not stellar, but ok. As long as I stay away from complex planes, I can run it with real weather (AS 2016) and decent autogen as well as some AI traffic with 30 frames locked.

However, I would like to use complex planes ;-).

Would I benefit enough from upgrading to a GTX 1080 - or would you advise me to get a newer processor AND a new graphics card?

As money does matter, keep this in mind as well.

Thanks für your thoughts.

Bernhard

Is your CPU running at stock speeds? If so, overclocking it would give you the biggest performance improvement for the least outlay (free?). There are plenty of web sites showing how it's relatively straightforward to get a 3820 up to 4.5GHz although you'd probably need better cooling. As performance tends to relate almost directly to CPU clock speed, this alone would give about 15-20% better performance.

With regards to your graphics card, replacing it would only be worthwhile if it's the bottleneck in your system. If your GPU is running at 100% most of the time when you're running P3D, then a newer card would help. However, a 1080 is complete overkill for a 1920x1080 monitor. Even a 1070 would be more than you'd need for P3D at that resolution but would make your system more future-proof.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit