Sign in to follow this  
Guest Larry S

SERIOUS CREDIT CARD SCAM NOW HAPPENING....

a person who makes up such a scam email can obtain the EXACT information that you just pointed out. Look again at the URBAN LEDGENDS page and read this. It is not new, it has been going around in emails FOR YEARS in different forms and most likely did what you did in obtaining information, also good that you did that ;-)..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Good catch Randy.... The telltale flag is this quote from the "scam" alert:"please pass this on...."Credit Card fraud does happen, but in tandem with that, people have learned that a clever hoax can flood forums and email, flooding networks with traffic nearly equal to an initial virus outbreak.Some of these hoaxes generate millions of emails and thousands of forum posts.When it comes to fraud, each of us has a personal responsibility to protect ourselves and if we're the victim of a fraud, we can educate people. But passing on stories I don't suggest--in the WWW it's the same as standing in a freeway shouting about something that happened to someone else. Everyone's going to hit their brakes, and traffic will slow to a crawl. -John

Guest Slacktide

>Hi Mitch...I don't believe a word of it.>>"there are 7 numbers; the first 4 are your card number, the>next 3 are the 'Security Numbers'">>If I read correctly, there are many more #s than 7, and no one>can get your CC# from your 3 digit pin.No, but they can get your name and CC# from a carelessly discarded recipt. Then they look you up in the phone book, and start the scam.Identity theft sucks. My SO (luckily, we're not married) got her identity stolen a year and a half ago, to the tune of just under 100,000 dollars worth of debt. We're STILL straigtening out some of the accounts. Personally, I think much of the blame lies with the credit issuing companies. They'll give tons of credit without vetting your ID, and way too much of it. Why in the world would you extend $100,000 worth of revolving credit to someone who only earns $35000 a year?Dan

Randy---they can have your credit card number from ANY transaction slip you have EVER created by a sales purchase.They then only need you to give the three digit PIN to be able to transact over the internet, etc.By having a card, you have left a paper and electronic trail---ALL BEHIND YOU! Each store, every C.C. receipt you have not shredded, but have 'lost', misplaced, or simply thrown out in the garbage. This is only one way of getting your number, let alone a dishonest store clerk.....Recently there has been a rash of C.C. fraud whereby you give up sight of your card (ie: food, gas----) to an attendant/server, and they not only swipe once for your purchase of food or gas, etc, but then multiple times for other add on's. This is a threat that has happened to two persons I know. Two in fact! People are getting desperate out there, due to lay-offs, closures, any kind of loss of job----- and some are dropping their chin to the curb.....to try to survive.Not all things are rosy in our economy. Be careful...Cheers!Mitch R.

I sent this post to my sister last night and just received a post back from her stating to thank me and that she and her husband watched the news a few nights ago, and it was being stated by the newscaster with the story to follow.This is legit. What you do with the information and how it might or might not affect your handling of C.C. purchases, etc is of course totally your choice.If you find this nonsense, then nothing is lost to you. If someone else reads this, and it prepares them for a day that they might actually be targeted for this scam--they are now totally prepared for it.I'll always post something like this, rather than not. I'll let the reader discern the content.For myself? I choose to make note of it, and am now prepared.Happy Holidays!Mitch R.

Just because this particular example isn't true doesn't mean the practice isn't happening.It is...

Certainly this IS a FAKE email that is the EXACT that has been going around since 2002. Does CC fraud happen? Of course. But what does that have to do with this silly story? You cannot get a CC# from your 3 digit security code! Saying one story based upon a LIE does not convice ME. For god's sake just call Visa and ask if you don't believe me. It's on the urban legends page, for those who do not know what exactly that means it's a page dedicated to MYTHS and silly things people believe like if you eat water melon seeds you will start to grow water melon in your gut.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

You still don't understand it do you?If I steal some creditcard slips and have some knowledge of the system (which Google would provide I'm sure) I can find out the telephone number of the owner of the creditcards used.I can then just phone those people and ask them for their 3 digit code.Together with the 16 digit code from the stolen slip I now have all I need to make online purchases with no need for the card at all.

Whether or not the e-mail is a fake is irrelevant.The last 3 or 4 digit security code is increasing being requested for on-line transactions as well as the full card number. Accordingly, you should never give ANY information about your credit card.

My bank here in Sweden has pretty good system where you can go to their website annd generate a new credit card # for every purchase, and specify the expiration date as well as a credit limit yourself. So e.g. if I want to buy a $20 addon I set the limit to $20 and expiration date to 1 month from then and I get a unique credit card # and CV2 code for that purchase. Also works for phone/fax orders.Of course if someone would hack into that system it would be a disaster so it's not 100% safe.In fact I think all these electronic transfers, Internet banks and internet purchases are like a bomb waiting to go off. Sooner or later someone will hack into a major bank or payment processor and manage to steal billions of $ resulting in total collapse of civilization. Or something :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I believe Randy understands it perfectly--credit card fraud happens.That isn't his point.(In case anyone doesn't understand, Jeroen is right. With a Credit Card number, address, phone number, and the three/four digit security code, a whole world of web purchases is open).That argument over, an important point still seems to be missed here.The question is, am I going to forward emails to everyone I know when I hear a word of mouth story? These posts were a lot more commonplace a couple years back. Email systems were flooded with them. Forums were flooded with them. They hit home--warnings of virus attacks, terrorist attacks, credit card scams, taxes on email. And then there are the ones where you're ten times lucky, if you just forward a charity email to ten friends. And so on.My rule of thumb--if it happens to me (fraud), I post where it does the most good, including these forums. If it is forwarded to me, I do my due diligence and one of the first places I look is urbanlegends.com. Chances are if it's there, the intent of the original story wasn't to warn of something--it was to flood forums and email with needless posts.I think a person needs to be responsible before warning of anything in the public forums. Are they delivering (in your words) "common sense" that we all should know anyway? Or are they an unwitting victim in some punk's attempt to flood the forums and email servers?I could go on for hours here posting every possible means of credit card fraud. Some of it you can just reason out. In this case, the author of the tread unwittingly participated in something else.Remember our discussion about Spyware? Spreading the urban legends is the same. Look how much bandwidth has been absorbed here. Is that the purpose of this forum?If you do want to learn more about how to protect yourself from scams, the best place I can recomment is a visit to clarkhoward.com And by all means, if something happens to a user here I think it's a great service to share it in this forum. After all, we use credit cards to pay for all those great MSFS add-ons we own.-John

Check your private message area, please. I sent you a note.

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

That urban ledgends page does say it's happening with stolen reciepts as I recall from my reading it. But that is the requirement. So unless they've been digging in your trash can, or searching a parking lot, they won't have much to go on in a phone call with just the security code. If your phone number is unlisted, they won't even find your number in the phone book in their search. Fortunately, most retaliers are also moving to reciepts that show only your last 4 digits so they read "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-3456" rather than the old "1234-5678-9012-3456" making this particular scam further impossible. For those with listen numbers and buying from stores that still hand out reciepts with the full numbers are the only ones at risk with this. I shred my old credit card reciepts to better safe guard this number since a some websites still don't ask me for the security number anyway. However, because of the many requirements for this scam to work, I doubt it's all that wide spread.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

"Sooner or later someone will hack into a major bank or payment processor and manage to steal billions of $ resulting in total collapse of civilization. Or something"There's nothing new under the sun...... In 1307 the Catholic Church and several European kings moved against the Knights Templar. At the the time, Templar letters of credit were the one virtually universal system for carrying out long distance trade without carrying sacks of gold across a bandit riddled countryside - they were the Visa cards of their time. Additionally, Templar chapterhouses around Europe were the primary places of safe keeping for most wealth.Unfortunately for the Church, the Templars somehow got their treasure out of the main headquarters in France and many of the outer chapterhouses, and the effect was a virtual collapse of international trade across all of Europe, as nobles and landowners who thought they were rich found that they were penniless, merchants who'd deposited money to buy goods before leaving home arrived at their destinations to find themselves unable to buy anything, sellers couldn't sell because the buyers were broke, Letters of credit against gold stored in Templar houses were worthless.... everything collapsed once the Templars were arrested and their chapterhouses found to be empty.The electronic banking system is the Templar chapterhouse of the 21st century and just as vulnerable to outside interference as they were to their kings and church.Richard