Sign in to follow this  
PaintSplasher

THOPAT 1.0 | Preset for PTA2 | As real as it gets

Hm, strange, we tested our preset with around 50 flights and many restarts and we didn't have any flickering shadows-

My shadow setting are "GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096" and I use a GTX1070 card.

Are the problems still there, if you use our preset 1.2?

I've got a bizarre issue. Flying at night, looks great and then all of a sudden the sky brightens like there is a full moon out. Shadows in the cockpit, clouds brighten as well. I go into P3D/options/settings, don't need to adjust anything, just click "ok" and the sky texture, clouds and shadows go back off. What would cause this? Using your preset with the options as stipulated in your comments. The only change I made was using the moon texture from here: http://navidh.se

Eric 

My shadow setting are "GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=4096" and I use a GTX1070 card.

Are the problems still there, if you use our preset 1.2?

I tried 1.2 and still get the same flickering. The shadow flickering is very pronounced when shadows are darkened up.  

I tried to create a new prepar3d.cfg to start with default values but that didn't help either....

Can you (or anymore that doesnt have shadows flickering) please tell me your setting for a few things for me to compare:

In you prepard3d.cfg:

[Graphics]

CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=
GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_HIGH=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_LOW=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_MID=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_ULTRA=
BUILDING_SHADOWS_CAST=
BUILDING_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=
CLOUD_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=
CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=
CLOUD_SHADOWS_CAST=
CONTENT_NO_SHADOW=
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=
DYNAMIC_REFLECTIONS=
EFFECTS_DISTANCE=
EFFECTS_QUALITY=
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=
GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=
IMAGE_QUALITY=
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=
OBJECT_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_HIGH=
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_LOW=
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_MID=
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_ULTRA=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_HIGH=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_LOW=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_MID=
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_ULTRA=
SHADOW_QUALITY=
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_CAST=
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=
TERRAIN_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_CAST=
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_CAST=
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=

Does your aircraft camera.cfg use clipmode=normal or clipmode=minimum ?

Thanks in advance...

You could try playing with these values.  I have mine set to 0.98.  They will smooth terrain shadows nearer the airplane.  Lower numbers make them smoother farther away.  Default is 0.85. 

SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_LOW=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_MID=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_HIGH=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_ULTRA=0.850000

See this post by me...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/427529-simple-solution-for-shadows-and-loss-of-fps-or-the-tweaking-has-begun/page-2#entry3549609

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You could try playing with these values.  I have mine set to 0.98.  They will smooth terrain shadows nearer the airplane.  Lower numbers make them smoother farther away.  Default is 0.85. 

Thanks - but it didn't help. I tried several values up to .98 with no luck...

I am having some problems with PTA 2.04 and this preset. Don't know why.

Light suddenly change when move the camera. For example in the VC or exterior if i move the camera there is a point where the sim goes suddenly too much or too less bright. Will try to make a small video.

I have latest PTA and latest Tophat. Settings as suggested. AS16 + ASCA (not Envtex).

I've had this off and on every since P3D ver 2.xx and there was no PTA and before I ever heard  of KNOSSOS

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Is it this, what you're talking about?

http://projekte.reflex-artdesign.de/video-1484520891.mp4

Yes!

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Is it this, what you're talking about?

I also posted a screen shot of a shadow (from light to dark) that appears when in spot view and rotating thro' 360 deg's.

today I reset PTA back to the original textures and the problem went away.

hope this helps

bob

edit .. I should have added that I replicated this shadow with the 'Default ' pta2 preset.

Hello Thorsten!

I still prefer the 1.2 setup. The yellow snow is still there with the updated 1.4.

Best regards

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

It might be down to your current choice of Sky textures. So much depends on these being right for your setup. What set are you using?

Regards,

Mike

I just bought ENVTEX and installed the recommended textures.

It´s really looking better now. The yellow snow is gone!

Keep up your good work!

Stephan

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.