Sign in to follow this  
Mustang1

Deciding between the FF Boeing 757 v2 and FJS 727 v2

Hello all,

I am trying to decide whether to get the new 757 v2 or the 727 v2. I fly on PE and Vatsim and with the PE expansion am looking for a new aircraft. What are the pros and cons for both. They are both about the same price so that isn't a factor. What would you pick between the choice of them?

Thanks,

Benjamin

You won't go wrong with either one, they are two of the best for XP.  It really depends on the type of flying and workload you want to do.  The FF 757 has more modern avionics and FMS with LNAV and VNAV capability, autothrottle, autopilot, etc.  The 727 doesn't really have any of that stuff and while you can get an aftermarket INS or use xFMC, you'll mostly want to fly it /A, at least I did.  The autopilot is rudimentary but fun to use going VOR to VOR. 

Ryan

I'd go (have already gone for), the 757v2. If you are used to old-school Civa INS systems, then  you will get mileage from the 727 v2, but if you want PMDG type systems where you can just load a plan and fly, then the 757 is for you.

There are some good sales on the .org site from time to time, so you always get the other aircraft when the time comes.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

if you want a real fmc then the 757, while the 727 does have an integrated fmc it is more a bolt on 3rd party solution that flyjsim added because people kept begging for it. The 727 was made for INS navigation or VOR Navigation. This is where this plane really shines.

Personally i find the 727 alot more satisfying to fly and master but i will fully admit that there are days where i just can't be bothered with the whole VOR/INS navigation and i just take out a modern jet. The whole startup procedure, the clickspots, the sounds, everything has got some "omph" to it in the 727. The manual aspect of everything, the joy of not setting one engine on fire during climb for the first time. It just feels great and handflys beautifully.

At the end of the day it comes down with your personal preference, with both you do nothing wrong. Especially in North America and PE region, VOR navigation is still very much possible, unlike europe where you start to get problems with VOR in some regions.

one last minor thing, if you like correct models dont look at the 757 full flap extension its at an wrong angle. and if you seen it you can't unsee it :D

Tough call. I have both and wouldn't want to decide between them. So my advice would be get both :wink:

Although I find myself flying the Felis Tu-154M a lot more than the 727 recently. It's kind of the russian 727 with very unique and detailed systems. But despite having some special nav options, you can still simply fly it /A for VOR to VOR or /G with the KLN90B, which even has SID/STAR support.

Getting this thing from cold&dark to ready for takeoff is fun in it's own way. :smile:

http://felis-planes.com/tu154/

I've got both and they are both lovely, but I'd have to recommend the 727 + CIVA INS plugin, provided you are going to use it as intended, I.e. using VOR/INS. There is a functional FMC option, but as mentioned it is a third party generic option to please the FMC only crowd, it's not the aircraft at its best.

The 757 is a much more complete sim of a more modern FMC bird, so if that's your regular nav option, it's a no brainer.