Sign in to follow this  
N1125Y

to X-Plan or not to X-Plan

" . . .Fortunately, the xEnviro plugin seems to be shaping up to be X-Plane's answer to Active Sky."

And that's an understatement! xEnviro (v1.06) has already surpassed ASN's rendering capability. If you want a simulator 'to simulate flight' without having to spend a lot of time tweaking not to mention the time required to keep addons up to date such as ORBX scenery for those of us who have it, get XP11. Don't bother with XP10 even if it comes free with the purchase of XP11. Even in BETA, XP11 is way superior to its previous version. And you'll love the C172! I'm not a pilot but just a guy who enjoys simulating flight. FSXSE and P3D were draining too much energy out of me required to maintain these platforms to perform at a borderline acceptability level. XP11 allows me to get the enjoyment level I always expected out of a flight simulator. XP11 brings you a very plausible world right out of the box and is actively supported by very talented and generous community members. Then get yourself a Christmas gift: xEnviro! I guarantee you you've never experienced atmospheric renditions in a flight simulator such as those offered by this new offering. Have fun, JJ

• Upvote 11

" . . .Fortunately, the xEnviro plugin seems to be shaping up to be X-Plane's answer to Active Sky."

And that's an understatement! xEnviro (v1.06) has already surpassed ASN's rendering capability. If you want a simulator 'to simulate flight' without having to spend a lot of time tweaking not to mention the time required to keep addons up to date such as ORBX scenery for those of us who have it, get XP11. Don't bother with XP10 even if it comes free with the purchase of XP11. Even in BETA, XP11 is way superior to its previous version. And you'll love the C172! I'm not a pilot but just a guy who enjoys simulating flight. FSXSE and P3D were draining too much energy out of me required to maintain these platforms to perform at a borderline acceptability level. XP11 allows me to get the enjoyment level I always expected out of a flight simulator. XP11 brings you a very plausible world right out of the box and is actively supported by very talented and generous community members. Then get yourself a Christmas gift: xEnviro! I guarantee you you've never experienced atmospheric renditions in a flight simulator such as those offered by this new offering. Have fun, JJ

Amen to that!

There's one more thing that I'd like to mention and feel this is the appropriate thread to say it.

About two weeks ago I contacted Freddy De Pues (XP Freeware Developer) and I asked him to develop my home airport KBKV. A week later I meet with him and we took pictures of most of the airport building and AA Flight Academy. A week later I had my home airport and a new friend.

Here's the link:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/35436-kbkv-brooksville%E2%80%93tampa-bay-regional-airport/

This is a special community!

• Upvote 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I'm a GA guy that fly slow and low in SoCal, and currently the only add-on I'm using is FTX SoCal, few Carenado Birds and that's it 

I'm RW Student Pilot and wish to use the Sim for training purposes.

Any thoughts ?

Happy Holydays

Yair  

I'm a sim addict who just switched from P3D to XP11. I tried to come back to P3D several times, but couldn't overcome the urge to fly exclusively in XP11. I know at current state XP11 has some shortcoming and and bugs, but XP community is great and addons are amazing.

I see you are RW student. I am RW CFI, so my advice (with any sim) is use it wisely. Preferably under supervision of flight professionals. Sims can very beneficial, but also can be quite damaging if misused. 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I'd rather wait  for P3D to go 64 bit, and enjoy all the good add-ons you have in FSX:SE

They won't work in 64bit

This is a special community!

Indeed it is!!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I really like we're the new x plane is going, but I just cannot commit only because there are no decent Airbuses. Yes there is JAR but that does not cut it for me...yet...they may yet upgrade it but compared to the AS offering or the FS Labs it is a no .. and the other payware airliners are not my bag..yes I appreciate how good the 737 is.

I just cannot get into GA flying and this is where x plane excels..so I am probably missing something.

For me personally it is a like being between a rock and a hard place love the look of x plane 11 just not quite there yet..for airline flying, so having totally giving up on other sims.. not much flying for me ...ah well let's see where things go in 2017.

Happy Xmas all.

They won't work in 64bit

But will eventually be updated :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm a sim addict who just switched from P3D to XP11. I tried to come back to P3D several times, but couldn't overcome the urge to fly exclusively in XP11. I know at current state XP11 has some shortcoming and and bugs, but XP community is great and addons are amazing.

I see you are RW student. I am RW CFI, so my advice (with any sim) is use it wisely. Preferably under supervision of flight professionals. Sims can very beneficial, but also can be quite damaging if misused. 

.. & rest a sure that I'll take your advises .....  

....okay guys .. first and for most I would like to tnx all of your for you comments, and to to wish all the Simmers community happy Sim years.

Now. I took the advantage of X-Plane 11 demo & installed it on my secondary SSD drive next to FSX-SE (not sure if it is wise, and If I'm not getting my self in trouble here, but I did it)  

First impression:

• Setting up, understanding and dealing with new terminology & phraseology, well, overall, it seems like less intuitive than FSX
  • Learning curve will be somehow steep, if I may say so (Not as many tutorials on youtube as for FSX)
  • Installing configuring & tweaking all my HW (GoFlight, VRInsight, Saiteks Etc, ) seems like way more complicated than FSX .

Initial conclusion:

It is ,definitely, not Buy & Fly

Since $$$ with the Demo Beta version is not an issue, & I can still run FSX-SE,  & will take my time to investigate if XP can serve the purpose, or I Should stick with FSX, or start practicing knitting at the local Senior Citizen Club (I'm GA guy flying low and slow in SoCal with live ATC) 

Cheers

Yair  

And that's an understatement! xEnviro (v1.06) has already surpassed ASN's rendering capability

I'll second that. I was very reluctant to purchase this product after seeing the price, the lack of custom weather and some other reasons I won't go into. However, I don't regret the purchase, it's a truly incredible product inside and out that is being constantly updated. I did a flight yesterday evening in the XP11 C172 from my home airport, the weather was perfectly represented. After climbing to 2000ft, I was just above the low cloud layer and the visuals were stunning and ran at a smooth 40fps. Talk about immersion and close to reality, this was not far off the real-life visuals. I also had icing effect my aircraft in another airport (I had to do an emergency landing as I lost lift), something I have not bothered to be concerned about in the eternal X-Plane summer for some time so I forgot it was there.

For a GA flyer at least, X-Plane wins hands down, for jets/commercial flying, it's catching up quickly

Sims can very beneficial, but also can be quite damaging if misused. 

You mean like overscanning the instruments instead of looking out the window ;-)

Now. I took the advantage of X-Plane 11 demo & installed it on my secondary SSD drive next to FSX-SE (not sure if it is wise, and If I'm not getting my self in trouble here, but I did it)  

You can have both installed without problems. Not sure why you had controller problems. My X52 worked out of the box with XP11 unlike in FSX.

First impression:

• Setting up, understanding and dealing with new terminology & phraseology, well, overall, it seems like less intuitive than FSX
  • Learning curve will be somehow steep, if I may say so (Not as many tutorials on youtube as for FSX)
  • Installing configuring & tweaking all my HW (GoFlight, VRInsight, Saiteks Etc, ) seems like way more complicated than FSX .
Initial conclusion:

It is ,definitely, not Buy & Fly

Hm... I almost get the feelings you are talking about another sim... ;) Maybe it is because I come from P3D? Although I used FSX for years. I wonder what is new with the terminology etc. and I also wonder what the learning curve is...? A plane is a plane...? I found setting up my controller easier than ever before. Obviously there is no right and wrong here, it is personal, but I don't recognize your conclusion. IMHO XP11 (not 10!) is the easiest sim to get up and running.

start practicing knitting at the local Senior Citizen Club

I hear knitting isn't so bad.. :wink: 

I'll second that. I was very reluctant to purchase this product after seeing the price, the lack of custom weather and some other reasons I won't go into. However, I don't regret the purchase, it's a truly incredible product inside and out that is being constantly updated. I did a flight yesterday evening in the XP11 C172 from my home airport, the weather was perfectly represented. After climbing to 2000ft, I was just above the low cloud layer and the visuals were stunning and ran at a smooth 40fps. Talk about immersion and close to reality, this was not far off the real-life visuals. I also had icing effect my aircraft in another airport (I had to do an emergency landing as I lost lift), something I have not bothered to be concerned about in the eternal X-Plane summer for some time so I forgot it was there.

For a GA flyer at least, X-Plane wins hands down, for jets/commercial flying, it's catching up quickly

You mean like overscanning the instruments instead of looking out the window ;-)

You can have both installed without problems. Not sure why you had controller problems. My X52 worked out of the box with XP11 unlike in FSX.

..yeah, a Bird is a bird, no argue about it ...LOL ..... I do agree that this Sim is constantly evolving thus got lot of potential (Though I do not understand why it was written to handle only a Single Core) ...   I do not expect a whole lot from my current Rig which is almost 6 years old and run AMD CPU and GPU ..... once I'll master this Sim & establish a 'Comfort Zone" I'll move forward and upgrade ....

As mentioned before, I'm GA guy that fly Low & Slow in SoCal with live ATC, so I do not really care about Jets & heavies, or ATC ,however, I'm loaded with lots of instruments that require installations and configurations ..... unlike FSX which "exhausted" me, & made me spend way to much time and affords on Tweaking, troubleshooting, and recovering from problems, I expect from XP to let me spend as much time as possible flying ....          

I hear knitting isn't so bad.. :wink:

..and on top of this, there are some nice old single, already tweaked for a full performance, ladies over there too ....   :dance:     

• Upvote 1

This is least of the problems. Scanning is another huge discussion. Most people think they scan instruments instead they are fixating on the wrong one :)

For a primary student  one of fundamental block of learning is to develop  a "picture of view" of airplane cowling and understand  how it changes with bank and pitch - distinguish difference  between "picture view" and flight path. I experienced some people  sim induced misconception which caused them a very shallow approach angle, miscalculated aiming point and touch down zone.

To make a long story short. My personal opinion - sim usage is the most effective after real flying experience. Approach real flying with initial sim training has to be careful.

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

To make a long story short. My personal opinion - sim usage is the most effective after real flying experience. Approach real flying with initial sim training has to be careful.

100 % agreed!

I admit I got to be a better pilot after using some sims ( soaring ) after having been flying for real for some good years. It started with an old gliding simulator named SFS, which I used until it's latest commercial version ( 3 ) and also with SilentWings and Condorsoaring.

Some techniques can be explored in the sim, specially in areas we do not explore that often IRL, and it really helped me getting a better glider pilot IRL.

OTOH I have flown with students who gained "extensive experience" in flight simulation, but were tremendously disappointed on their RL flight in a glider....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...