Sign in to follow this  
brucek

GTX 1080i with 1080p monitor- DVI or HDMI connection?

Is there any big advantage to a DVI or HDMI connection into a 1080p monitor from a GTX1080i? I don't need sound into the monitor, only video.

Thanks, Bruce.

No. DVI and HDMI both support 1080P resolutions just fine. You won't see any difference in image quality or performance at the monitor. HDMI is the more modern option, along with Display Port which the GTX cards also support. These do become better options as your monitors native resolution increases. DVI does not support 4K monitors for example.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Here is a link to explain the settings in more detail. I found this useful when making the decision on which connection/cable to use on my setup. It explains each of the connectors and lists the advantages and disadvantages of each one.

It also notes that buying the super expensive gold plated cables is just throwing money away. These are digital cables and either it works or it does not. Image quality on the monitor is not linked in any way whatsoever to how much gold plating it contains, or how money you spend on it. Most retailers would have you believe otherwise, for obvious reasons!

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-which-connection-to-choose/

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks Greg- interesting link...

I'm using DVI at the moment but am about to drop a new GPU into the PC, so thought this would be the time to find out what connection was better,,,,

Have a great Holiday!