Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Merry Christmas Hardware Fans!

Merry Christmas Hardware Fans!

And what nice hardware are we having for Xmas? 

None for me I'm afraid, spent elsewhere, but I do have 100 quid spare to spend on something, any ideas?

None here also. I was going to replace my PS4 with a PS4 Pro with the VR headset, but both the price and the reviews scared me away. I'm pretty much set with flight sim-related PC hardware, since I previously purchased an LG 4K monitor and a Samsung EVO 960 SSD.

None here also. I was going to replace my PS4 with a PS4 Pro with the VR headset, but both the price and the reviews scared me away. I'm pretty much set with flight sim-related PC hardware, since I previously purchased an LG 4K monitor and a Samsung EVO 960 SSD.

I'm pretty much set up for PC hardware also. Do have £100 to spend on something, no idea what. Games perhaps.

I have a Leatherman Charge TTI multi-tool to play with tomorrow. I'm developing a bit of a fetish for them, this will be my third.

Mmmmmmmmm ... Have some new hardware to have fun with..

Merry Christmas

You lucky boy Hasse. Wish I had your contacts.  :smile:

Merry Christmas to you Martin. I dunno about PC games but the PS4 game Red Dead Redemption 2 is one that I am waiting for.

No consoles in our house, although my grown up son and daughter fancy one. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 's third person isn't it? Can't get on with third person personally.

I might put my spare 100 quid toward my daughters Mini ITX system, although she's told me I'll be in trouble if I do. I've been told I must spend it on myself.  

I plan a upgrade in the next month or so

Or maybe a full build lol

Ready to replace my 6 yr old CPU

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't know - I was briefly looking at that new AMD chip - maybe they're really making an Intel killer...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Intel 6 core killer probably. Certainly sounds like it. All we have so far is reviews of engineering samples though.

My view is if you need 6 cores it's will probably be an excellent, cheaper alternative to Intel.

But for we gamers, Skylake or Kaby Lake will still be the way to go.

Well, I finally got the new rig built and burned in over the past 7 days.  What a way to spend Xmas break....running stress test after stress test to find the acceptable limits of overclocking.  It did get rather boring after a while.

6600k at 4.6 with 1.33v . It would not stay at 4.7 happily and I frankly was tired of trying to make it stick so we went back down to 4.6 .  Cooler is a Cryorig H7 and I used the included Cryorig thermal paste (looked similar to Arctic MX-4).  Temps never went above 71 degrees C during any stress test.

This was my first go with an Asus motherboard (Z170-AR) and I was pleased with how easy the BIOS was to navigate.  I had one beef with it.  The motherboard changed the drive boot order whenever I inserted a USB flash drive.  It ALWAYS put the USB flash as being first.  Turned out to be a pain when I installed Windows 10.  During the install's first reboot, instead of booting from the SSD it booted from the USB flash and wanted to start the install process over again.  I had to hit F8 to intercept the boot order and tell the PC to boot from the SSD in order to continue the install.  Never had a board act like that before and it was only a minor irritation.

I kept the 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V memory at it's stock 3200 and did not bother to try OC'ing.

My 2-year-old MSI GTX970 is still humming along at 1544 Core and 1990 Memory.

Now to load P3D and all the add-ons.  Will probably take a good day or two to finish.  I'm really curious to see the performance increase over my 2500k at 4.6 .

My 2500k is at 4 - so I'm really curious how your 6600k will do at 4.6

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I was going to do a skylake upgrade to replace my i5 2500k (likely a 6600k, maybe 6700k), but I ended up buying myself another hardware item as an early Christmas present, Thurstmaster Warthog HOTAS.  It's absolutely amazing, but I'll end up doing the CPU (and all other associated bits) upgrade in the early new year...I want to get a skylake rather than kaby lake to avoid having to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Well, I finally got the new rig built and burned in over the past 7 days. What a way to spend Xmas break....running stress test after stress test to find the acceptable limits of overclocking. It did get rather boring after a while.

6600k at 4.6 with 1.33v . It would not stay at 4.7 happily and I frankly was tired of trying to make it stick so we went back down to 4.6 . Cooler is a Cryorig H7 and I used the included Cryorig thermal paste (looked similar to Arctic MX-4). Temps never went above 71 degrees C during any stress test.

This was my first go with an Asus motherboard (Z170-AR) and I was pleased with how easy the BIOS was to navigate. I had one beef with it. The motherboard changed the drive boot order whenever I inserted a USB flash drive. It ALWAYS put the USB flash as being first. Turned out to be a pain when I installed Windows 10. During the install's first reboot, instead of booting from the SSD it booted from the USB flash and wanted to start the install process over again. I had to hit F8 to intercept the boot order and tell the PC to boot from the SSD in order to continue the install. Never had a board act like that before and it was only a minor irritation.

I kept the 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V memory at it's stock 3200 and did not bother to try OC'ing.

My 2-year-old MSI GTX970 is still humming along at 1544 Core and 1990 Memory.

Now to load P3D and all the add-ons. Will probably take a good day or two to finish. I'm really curious to see the performance increase over my 2500k at 4.6 .

1.33 is quiet a low voltage. 1.44 is the max recomended so Intel and Asus tell us.

In adaptive mode you need to watch it under load though as it can creep up.

XMP is an overclock, so wise not to push it further. Possible but you wouldn't gain anything significant.

I just use ReaBench these days. Realistic, non-synthetic and an hour or so enough to ensure stability.