Sign in to follow this  
MicTango04

Dead HDD

Hello,

The other day was quite unfortunate as I was looking forward to getting some pmdg NGX action. To my surprise once I fired up my PC, I heard the dreaded "click, click, click" coming from my HDD. My HDD has only several games on it, and mainly for running FSX and all it's addons that make the FSX world more enjoyable. 
Now in the bios it doesn't recognise the HDD anymore and since I cannot access any of the data from my dead HDD would there be an issue when I reinstall FSX along with my PMDG products being the NGX and 777s? 
I remember going through the introduction manual where it mentions that to deactivate a pmdg addon it is normally done through the FMC, but since I can't access FSX and any of the addons anymore would this have an adverse effect when I get round to reinstalling them again?

I have already taken off the program installation in the windows control panel section along with the liveries etc. Some addon sceneries came up with "Invalid F:drive". 
If there's anyone who has come across this unfortunate issue (dead HDD) where they weren't able to access any of the data and went ahead with installing all their addons again without a hitch, it would be nice to have some pointers.

Many thanks, 

Mykel Talab

Hello Mykel,

I think you should not worry too much, this can happen to anyone, and I'm sure that wether it'(s PMDG or any other well known third party addons developers you probably won't have issues. If the new install cannot be activated for some reason, just send PMDG a ticket through their support system and they'll help you out.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Cheers for the heads up wedgantilles. Keeping fingers crossed it should be a fairly smooth procedure getting into reinstalling everything once I install my new HDD. 

Many thanks

Cheers for the heads up wedgantilles. Keeping fingers crossed it should be a fairly smooth procedure getting into reinstalling everything once I install my new HDD. 

Many thanks

Hi Mykel,

Have you seen this on the PMDG site, it runs through the install of their programs: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

When you get your system running again, you might consider dropping your downloads on a portable hard drive. If and when this happens again, re installation is not so difficult.  I make a habit of putting all my downloads and all manuals on a separate plug in drive.

• Upvote 1

Geoff Bryce

Hello Geoff,

Yes came across that before and went through that procedure as stated by Pmdg when I had some issues with the operations centre not recognising my products after a windows update the other year. Since then I've booked marked that page .

I have my Flytampa addons all backed up on an external hard drive, but all my oother addons I'll just need to redone load them again, which I am not too bothered about just the thought of getting everything all in order again is mind boggling.

I have managed to bag myself a deal in a WD Caviar Black 1tb hdd which is due to arrive around the 29th.

Just shows how vulnerable pc's can be but on the plus side we take a lot of enjoyment out of them which is pretty much an additional hobbie.

Cheers for the heads up Geoff.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hollidays to all