Sign in to follow this  
Ivor Mills

Will FS2Crew deliver?

I have just purchased the 777-200LR even though I knew the learning curve would be more than I would be willing to commit to, it just looked a beautiful plane!

I have played FS since it first came out in all it's variations, so maybe age has something to do with my reluctance to delve deeply into the manual. My perfect scenerio would be to have a First Officer take over the flying, well take over everything in fact, so that I would only get involved when I needed to. To take the aircraft from the take off to landing following a pre entered flight plan. I have been looking at FS2Crew, it seems to offer what I am looking for, but I would like some first hand feedback from anyone that regularly uses the program to find if it will meet my expectations.

Thank you

Hi

Firstly you need first and last names in the forum. 

I have a love/hate relationship with FS2crew. It is a brilliant addon, and is perfect for MCC simulation. I have the PMDG737/777, Aerosoft A320 and Dash 8 versions and would recommend it to anyone. You still have to do all the Captain stuff but the manuals tell you what to do. I said I hate it - I don't - what I meant is I sometimes don't want to do the full 50 minute preflight with the T7, so I don't use the program for that flight.

I highly recommend them and can't wait for the 747 version

Regards and merry Christmas

Joe

I said I hate it - I don't - what I meant is I sometimes don't want to do the full 50 minute preflight with the T7, so I don't use the program for that flight.

In fact, you don't have to wait for the time and clouds just passing by (like when the FO is doing the 11 minute walkaround) Just click on the arrow next to the remaining minutes indicator and you have yourself a time machine! Just be careful not to click too rapidly if you want to keep track of where you are in the process and have to act accordingly.

For the 777, here's the To-Do-List (copied out of the FS2Crew manual):

+55 Minutes: Preflight events routine starts

- The jetway may connect and the passenger and cargo doors may open.

+54 Minutes:

- Captain runs the ELECTRICAL POWER UP procedure.

- Captain runs the PRELIMINARY PRE-FLIGHT procedure.

+40 Minutes: FO goes out for walkaround

+29 Minutes: FO returns from walkaround

+24 Minutes: Gate agent or FA asks if it's okay to start boarding.

+19 Minutes: Capt and FO perform their Pre-Flight Flow

+15 Minutes: Run the PRE-FLIGHT CHECKLIST.

+13 Minutes: Run the DEPARTURE BRIEFING.

+7 Minutes: Passenger Version only: The Loadsheet arrives (if "Receive Loadsheet from Gate Agent" selected in the CFG screen)

+5 Minutes:

- Turn on the APU if it's not already running if you do not plan on using the GPU or Air Start Cart during engine start.

- If using the Air Conditioning Cart, remove it as it cannot be used to supply air during engine start.

- If you plan to use the APU for engine start, ask the ground crew to disconnect external power and air once the APU is on-line (assuming the GPU and external air are connected).

+3 Minutes: If desired, ask the Ground Crew if you are cleared to pressurize the hydraulics.

+2 Minutes: Cargo and Passenger doors close.

+1 Minutes: Passenger Version only: FA enters cockpit to report the cabin is ready for depature. She may ask you if she can close the cockpit door depending on the voice set.

+0 Minutes: Call for the BEFORE START PROCEDURE.

- The FO will ask you if we are cleared to pressurize, and then perform his BEFORE START FLOW if yes.

Of this list, FS2Crew can handle the following tasks for you: Jetway, Doors, FO Pre-flight Flow and the ELECTRICAL POWER UP procedure. You as a Captain then only have to do the PRELIMINARY PRE-FLIGHT procedure (wich in the sim world really is just turning the IRS mode selectors to NAV), the CDU Pre-Flight Procedure (wich is something that only you can do anyway since - again, only in the sim world - you're the only one who knows where the airplane is going... :ph34r: ), the Captain's Pre-Flight Flow and a few tasks after the 5 minute mark.

So basically, this whole list could be accomplished in about 5 minutes - with time to spare for a coffee before gate departure!  :Cuppa:  :smile:

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

In fact, you don't have to wait for the time and clouds just passing by (like when the FO is doing the 11 minute walkaround) Just click on the arrow next to the remaining minutes indicator and you have yourself a time machine! Just be careful not to click too rapidly if you want to keep track of where you are in the process and have to act accordingly.

I completely forgot about that feature.

Thank you for your replies. Maybe you can answer another concern, I always fly IFR with ATC control. I am assuming that if you load your FMC with a flight plan, this would not be compatible with the FSX ATC which requires it's own flight plan. How can I fly with the FMC and FS2Crew and still get full ATC contact for the entire flight?

FS2Crew does not need an atc flightplan, I do not know how you generate your flight plan (PFPX and Simbrief is what I use), but as long as the route in the FMC is the same as the FSX route, you will be fine. They all work fine together.

Hi

Firstly you need first and last names in the forum. 

I have a love/hate relationship with FS2crew. It is a brilliant addon, and is perfect for MCC simulation. I have the PMDG737/777, Aerosoft A320 and Dash 8 versions and would recommend it to anyone. You still have to do all the Captain stuff but the manuals tell you what to do. I said I hate it - I don't - what I meant is I sometimes don't want to do the full 50 minute preflight with the T7, so I don't use the program for that flight.

I highly recommend them and can't wait for the 747 version

Regards and merry Christmas

Joe

You do know you can still use FS2Crew without the 50 minute preflight. Just start from the first checklist and take off. Briefing optional

• Upvote 1

Flying Tigers Group

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

aslo  can start fscrew midflight  if  you desire

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

(PFPX and Simbrief is what I use)

Excuse me for a little offtopic! 

Can you please tell me in short words - why and how you use Simbrief with PFPX? I have PFPX, but wonder why you need Simbrief? Thank you in advance!

FS2Crew does not need an atc flightplan, I do not know how you generate your flight plan (PFPX and Simbrief is what I use), but as long as the route in the FMC is the same as the FSX route, you will be fine. They all work fine together.

Before I purchase FS2Crew, I want to be sure it will work as I want it to, with ATC, which is why I asked the question about ATC. In response to your reply I used Simbrief to produce a flight plan in .rte format  for Pmdg. I also produced a duplicate flight plan in .pln format. I loaded the .rte into the fmc and the .pln into FSX. Initially all looked fine, the route being displayed in the cockpit and also on 'map' view in FSX.

The problems began after take off, the aircraft followed the course which was initially 304 but atc requested an initial turn to 065 obviously with a different route in mind. I had to abandon the flight, as not following atc instructions would have resulted in the flight plan ending. Any thoughts?

The problems began after take off, the aircraft followed the course which was initially 304 but atc requested an initial turn to 065 obviously with a different route in mind. I had to abandon the flight, as not following atc instructions would have resulted in the flight plan ending. Any thoughts?

Thats the problem with the default FSX atc, it doesn't support SIDs and STARs (providing your route has SIDs and STARs) so at the start and the end of your route it will use vectors instead however it does tell you to resume own navigation, which is the route in your FMC. However you can ignore what the ATC tells you, however after a while they terminate your flight plan.

Ivor, it might sound wrong to you, but there is a great and simple answer to your ATC needs - fly online. Vatsim, Ivao... FSXs built in ATC is buggy, it makes no sense and procedures are wrong all the time.
Otherwise - FS2Crew has no impact or anything related to any ATC whatsoever. ;)

Excuse me for a little offtopic! 

Can you please tell me in short words - why and how you use Simbrief with PFPX? I have PFPX, but wonder why you need Simbrief? Thank you in advance!

Sorry I didn't see this post. I was having issues with PFPX so I was using Simbrief whilst fixing PFPX 

Thank you for your replies, I can see there are problems with FSX routes so that will not work, Vatsim, I need to look at obviously. I will update you later  :smile:

Thank you for your replies, I can see there are problems with FSX routes so that will not work, Vatsim, I need to look at obviously. I will update you later  :smile:

i use the default ATC for taxi clearance, take off clearance, and landing clearance, if you dont file a fsx/p3d flight plan it treats you as VFR flight rules but gives you the necessary clearances when you ask for them.  That way also it doesnt cancel your flight plan if you miss the calls whilst you are in cruise, when it try switching between controls, it just leaves you to it and then when i see the airport is 30 miles out i call up the tower and ask for landing clearance 

Jason Dilley