Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Microsoft Agrees they were too Aggressive!

Now they tell us!  I still have Windows 7 but will be upgrading to the 7700K soon and it will be mandatory to install Windows 10 then.  Still, thought the article at the link interesting.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/microsoft%E2%80%99s-agrees-windows-10-upgrade-was-pushed-too-aggressively.html

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Windows 10 with P3D worries me.  It does more than worry me.  I see all of the problems and think it'd be a lot less trouble if they got Windows 7.  Eventually, we all have to switch over but I hope things stabilize before then.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Pain with Win 10 was truly one of the low lights of 2016 for me (first world problems, eh?).  I had weeks of mental trauma caused by problems with Win 10, due to being forced to upgrade.

One example:  Defender identifies a "virus" in a DLL that comes with Flight 1's C162. Defender goes crazy and deactivates the DLL, which the addon can not operate without. No problem, just add an exception to Defender for the DLL you say?    Did that.  And Defender, on reactivating itself happily ignored the exception and basically forcibly retired that addon from my being able to use it.

I'm currently on a 'ceasefire' with Win 10, but the lack of control over things like Windows Defender still sticks in my throat, and if there was a pain free way to go back in time to Win 7, I'd jump in a heartbeat.

Innovation is good. But treating customer like children and insisting "we always know best" and forcing certain features (or even the upgrade itself) is not so good.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

I still suspect that there was more than meets the eye to what MS did with Windows 10, but what the heck, I don't have anything to hide.

By the way... 6+ months running FSX:SE and P3D under Windows 10 with out issue!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Windows 10 with P3D worries me.  It does more than worry me.  I see all of the problems and think it'd be a lot less trouble if they got Windows 7.  Eventually, we all have to switch over but I hope things stabilize before then.

No problems here at all with P3D 3.4 running under Win 10. I actually really like Win 10.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Funny I just posted in another thread about my system running great until the Dec updates. Been smooth as butter and all of a sudden BSOD left and right. Long story short reinstalled and updated and all seem well now. I am starting to think LM and some of the developers are getting blamed for some MS screw ups. Imagine that!! LOL

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I hear W10 is highly snoopy and big brother.

It is VERY Snoopy and Big Brothery HOWEVER you can shutdown a lot of the snooping in the Control Panel.  And the stuff you can't shutoff there can be shutoff by following a few guides such as completely totally absolutely disabling Cortana!   DO NOT use this evil program.   It collects TONS of data on you as you use it.   Don't let Microsoft get access to your life through this gadget of theirs.   In the words of Admiral Ackbar;  "IT'S A TRAP!"

0ff2ac98d64c91b6fa1017b61f332dd0.jpg

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Like Google, Windows 10 won't violate your privacy.  LOL!  Just kidding!  Being sarcastic, etc., etc.  The other day I sent my football pool entry to my friend using my gmail account.  Told my friend my entries are attached and then hit the 'Send' button w/o adding the attachment.  Google did not send the e-mail and instead gave me a popup warning stating "it appears you forgot to include an attachment".  I added the attachment and sent the e-mail.  But that's pretty slick where their computers are reading our e-mails and helping us old guys when we forget to do what we say we will do in an e-mail. 

The Windows cookie machine is getting more and more powerful because commercial entities, including Microsoft, want more money and anyway they can get it.  They say the cookies will not violate your privacy but they are getting more and more sophisticated.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

No problems here at all with P3D 3.4 running under Win 10. I actually really like Win 10.

Peter

+1

happy xmas to you all

Peter

ommercial entities, including Microsoft, want more money and anyway they can get it. They say the cookies will not violate your privacy but they are getting more and more sophisticated.

Would you mean Mega Data?  With it they can make fine wine OR, wreck your life!

Happy New Year!

BaldyB

I used this video to sort out alot of the intrusive concerns about W10.  Jerry is extremely hyper but extremely knowledgeable.  Ex-MS employee too

• Upvote 2

I've been a Mac user for years, but I recently switched to Windows for gaming and simulators so I can use the latest and greatest. The computer came with Windows 10, and god it's awful :Tounge: . What were they thinking making the start menu go full-screen (They also do this on their server oses which drives me mad)

I remember Windows 7 being pretty nice and I had it on a virtual machine, but 10 is just terrible and seems to get in the way of the user. The worst was all the sneaky things they have enabled by default and the inability to stop it installing updates. Some things I did to "fix" my install were to install Classic Shell to get the old start menu back and this utility (https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases), which is fantastic and removed all the rubbish and switched off the spying. I almost have a sane OS again  :smile: