Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Microsoft Agrees they were too Aggressive!

It's hardly futile and also not nearly such a massive problem for paying customers as the vocal minority makes it out to be..

Would it be nice to see it go forever? Heck yeah, but as long as people can't find another reason for paying for stuff that costs money we're stuck with it.

Nobody has the "digital right" to install key loggers etc through the back door on my PC.

• Upvote 1

It's hardly futile and also not nearly such a massive problem for paying customers as the vocal minority makes it out to be..

Would it be nice to see it go forever? Heck yeah, but as long as people can't find another reason for paying for stuff that costs money we're stuck with it.

DRM makes sure the products people think they buy is just a lease. Would you accept buying a book, and then after a few years someone shows up at your house and takes it from you? Or a book where the ink fades away in a few years making it useless? People seem to accept being screwed these days...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

DRM makes sure the products people think they buy is just a lease. Would you accept buying a book, and then after a few years someone shows up at your house and takes it from you? Or a book where the ink fades away in a few years making it useless? People seem to accept being screwed these days...

If you call this being screwed, we were all screwed back in the eighties also. You never owned software in the past and you won't own software in the future. You don't buy software and then own it: you pay for a license and the owner of the software (so not you) is free to change things (updates!) or stop things from working. You own absolutely nothing when it comes to software. DRM didn't and doesn't change a single thing in this regard: nothing has been changed since DRM started being used. DRM mainly makes it more clear you don't own the software. If someone wants to use DRM to protect their OWN software then that is his or her full right. If you don't like it, don't buy a license. This has nothing to do with being screwed and it certainly isn't something that happens only 'these days'. Comparing buying software with buying a book is comparing apples with oranges. Do you find it odd and 'screwing' if someone is protecting their house with locks and camera's? That comparison, though also odd, makes more sense. Software developers let you use THEIR 'house': don't be surprised if they try to protect it.

You don't buy software and then own it: you pay for a license and the owner of the software (so not you) is free to change things (updates!) or stop things from working.

I would question that last one. When I have paid for a license to use something, I expect to always be able to use it.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I don't think that I can find the right words to describe an error of this magnitude. Unbelievably stupid would be a good start.

Unbelievably arrogant is closer still.

Bryan.

• Upvote 1

What exactly is going to happen for those of us with Windows 7-64 Pro?   I wasn't aware that we were going to be "forced" to upgrade to W10?

David Norman Paul

sooner  than later you will be  forced  to switch   to w10

Not if I simply refuse to play their game.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

thats up  to you if  you dont  want  to

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I almost took this was about closing down of the ACES/MSFS development.

I had the same thought, when I clicked on the subject. I was kind of hoping that Microsoft regretted their decision to step out of the Flightsim arena and leave it to other developers. Oh well, it's an old issue; flightsimmimg will find a way into the future.

You will be fine until you want a new PC, then you will have to use Windows 10

I would question that last one. When I have paid for a license to use something, I expect to always be able to use it.

Well, they may indeed not actually STOP things from working on purpose, but if they for instance stop updating the software there will come a day you won't be able to use it anymore due to for instance a new OS or new hardware. I am also sure that there are examples of software not working anymore because the developer pulled the plug and for instance online activations doesn't work anymore, which in fact stops the software from working.

'Always' is not a term that really goes well with computers.  :wink: 

I have to agree though that I can't actually remember a software developer who purposely made software itself stop from working. Well, apart from demo's and beta's and so on but I was talking about paid 'full' software. Still, I do think that if a developer wants to do so, he is entitled to do so. I doubt if all EULA's out there say something about this.

If you call this being screwed, we were all screwed back in the eighties also. You never owned software in the past and you won't own software in the future. You don't buy software and then own it: you pay for a license and the owner of the software (so not you) is free to change things (updates!) or stop things from working. You own absolutely nothing when it comes to software. DRM didn't and doesn't change a single thing in this regard: nothing has been changed since DRM started being used. DRM mainly makes it more clear you don't own the software. If someone wants to use DRM to protect their OWN software then that is his or her full right. If you don't like it, don't buy a license. This has nothing to do with being screwed and it certainly isn't something that happens only 'these days'. Comparing buying software with buying a book is comparing apples with oranges. Do you find it odd and 'screwing' if someone is protecting their house with locks and camera's? That comparison, though also odd, makes more sense. Software developers let you use THEIR 'house': don't be surprised if they try to protect it.

The big difference is that with DRM I am forced to connect to the Internet and I risk not being able to use the software in the future. I still have a lot of software from the 1980s, and guess what, it all works still! I can't say that about my Earth Simulations scenery, Flight1 C172 and Captain Sim C-130 for FS9.

But I really don't care. I buy almost nothing these days because of DRM. I like to spend my money on things I can own and control. For instance I am a record collector owning close to 10.000 CDs and LPs. I never buy anything from Warner Music after they screwed many customers with DRM on their CDs. I buy absolutley nothing from iTunes or similar stores. I might miss out on a few things, but life's short and there's no shortage of good stuff to spend money on.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Is DRM why Level D and Cool Sky doesn't work in Windows 10? If so I sure wish they would fix it. I would even repurchase the Level D.

Vic green

I guess I am weird but I love win 10.

Works like a charm and I use it from 3D modelling / rendering to playing games.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Well, they may indeed not actually STOP things from working on purpose, but if they for instance stop updating the software there will come a day you won't be able to use it anymore due to for instance a new OS or new hardware. I am also sure that there are examples of software not working anymore because the developer pulled the plug and for instance online activations doesn't work anymore, which in fact stops the software from working.

Win 3.11 still works!

• Upvote 1