Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Microsoft Agrees they were too Aggressive!

Nobody has the "digital right" to install key loggers etc through the back door on my PC.

They have if you let them, which you do when you accept the licensing agreement.

DRM makes sure the products people think they buy is just a lease. Would you accept buying a book, and then after a few years someone shows up at your house and takes it from you? Or a book where the ink fades away in a few years making it useless? People seem to accept being screwed these days...

First of all I think you need to read my post again. I never said I liked DRM, I was just disagreeing with your claim that it doesn't work and that it cause a lot of problems for paying customers.

Secondly, don't compare books with software. If books were as cheap and easy to duplicate on a grand scale then you bet they would try to come up with a way to prevent it. Copy protection of all kinds exist because people are greedy buggers, not because creators/publishers are...

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

They have if you let them, which you do when you accept the licensing agreement.

Not quite so cut and dried under European law.

First of all I think you need to read my post again. I never said I liked DRM, I was just disagreeing with your claim that it doesn't work and that it cause a lot of problems for paying customers.

Secondly, don't compare books with software. If books were as cheap and easy to duplicate on a grand scale then you bet they would try to come up with a way to prevent it. Copy protection of all kinds exist because people are greedy buggers, not because creators/publishers are...

Sorry if it came across that way. That was not my intention. 

Sure, when it works it works, but I've been a huge spender when it comes to software and I have spent hours and days getting things to work after reaching activation limits, lost passwords, OS upgrades etc. It's a huge annoyance - for me, so I put my money where my mouth is and spend them elsewhere rather than supporting DRM software.

If it hadn't been for the no cd crack for FS9, I wouldn't be able to use it anymore - even though I've got three hard copies of the software. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Not quite so cut and dried under European law.

Either way no-one's forcing you to use a particular piece of software. If you can't accept what it does, don't use it.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Digital Rights Management.

In layman's terms: Futile attempt at protecting digital products from piracy and a major annoyance for all paying customers.

That why it should be called Digital Restrictions Management. :wink:

You will be fine until you want a new PC, then you will have to use Windows 10

You can buy a PC without any OS. I stopped using Windows long time ago.

Sorry if it came across that way. That was not my intention. 

Sure, when it works it works, but I've been a huge spender when it comes to software and I have spent hours and days getting things to work after reaching activation limits, lost passwords, OS upgrades etc. It's a huge annoyance - for me, so I put my money where my mouth is and spend them elsewhere rather than supporting DRM software.

If it hadn't been for the no cd crack for FS9, I wouldn't be able to use it anymore - even though I've got three hard copies of the software. 

Fair enough. :)

I will agree with you that CD-based copy protection was a bloody pain when it was still a big thing. That was a clear case of paying customers getting the short end of the stick, IMO mainly for having to listen to a computer that sounded like a dying vacuum cleaner every time you wanted to play a game. Today, with online activation being the norm I don't mind so much. Sure it's annoying when you try to reinstall FSX for the nth time and you have to make a call to Microsoft to unlock it, but it only takes 15 minutes or so and mercifully it has only happened to me 2-3 times in 10 years.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Fair enough. :)

I will agree with you that CD-based copy protection was a bloody pain when it was still a big thing. That was a clear case of paying customers getting the short end of the stick, IMO mainly for having to listen to a computer that sounded like a dying vacuum cleaner every time you wanted to play a game. Today, with online activation being the norm I don't mind so much. Sure it's annoying when you try to reinstall FSX for the nth time and you have to make a call to Microsoft to unlock it, but it only takes 15 minutes or so and mercifully it has only happened to me 2-3 times in 10 years.

Don't get me started on Blu-Ray discs.... :) 

But back to Windows 10... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Either way no-one's forcing you to use a particular piece of software. If you can't accept what it does, don't use it.

That's precisely why I don't use win 10

That's precisely why I don't use win 10

Then stick to Windows XP mate, no need to worry about DRM there, but then again anyone in the world can with a bit of tech savvy  access all your files,

I'll put the photos up later, only joking really. :smile:

The so called security updates whilst on the one hand purport to close loopholes increasing your security. On the other hand open up routes direct to MS so they get all the info instead of so called hackers. Who need hackers when win 10 does it all for you and hands everything over to MS who then sell your info on. "We don't want hackers to make money and sell stuff to advertisers when we could do that ourselves. Rather we MS make that money than them!"

The so called security updates whilst on the one hand purport to close loopholes increasing your security. On the other hand open up routes direct to MS so they get all the info instead of so called hackers.

Where's the evidence for this? The OS itself sends some information back to MS by default but it's easy to turn it off. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any "security updates" which have done this.

There's a lot of paranoia and bad press surrounding Windows 10 but it's worth remembering that Windows 7 and 8 had just as much bad publicity when they were released (mostly justified in the case of Windows 8). If it's new, more difficult to find some settings and puts things in a different place it must be bad.

For those of you who tried updating from an earlier version of Windows and reverted back, buy yourself a new drive and carry out a clean install and see how much better it works. If you still don't get on with it, at least can reformat the new drive and you'll have an extra drive for your system.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The so called security updates whilst on the one hand purport to close loopholes increasing your security. On the other hand open up routes direct to MS so they get all the info instead of so called hackers.

Just as well you don't get any more updates on XP then, must really increase your sense of security.

Seriously though Windows 10 is turning out to be the best OS microsoft has produced. it just feels so much quicker and easier to work with than anything before it, and it's going to get even better as it evolves further.

• Upvote 2

After getting rid of my Tandy 1000 HD, I started with Windows 3.1 then Win 95, Win 2000, Win XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64, Win 7 Ultimate 64 and now I wait. Notice the skipping over the failures like Windows Me, Vista (Vista Ultimate 64 was virtually Win 7), Windows 8 and now Windows 10.

After getting rid of my Tandy 1000 HD, I started with Windows 3.1 then Win 95, Win 2000, Win XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64, Win 7 Ultimate 64 and now I wait. Notice the skipping over the failures like Windows Me, Vista (Vista Ultimate 64 was virtually Win 7), Windows 8 and now Windows 10.

This all sounds so familiar. When Windows 7 was released, many people said that there was no way they would change from XP. They are probably mostly the same ones who are now refusing to move from Windows 7.

How is Windows 10 a failure? Have you actually tried it? If so, was it a clean install? Windows 10 has been almost universally praised by the computer press and review websites. Some things are the same and some are different but it's definitely worth investing the time to become familiar with it. I recently had to do some work on my old Windows 7 system and it made me realise how much much I prefer Windows 10.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit