Sign in to follow this  
DrumsArt

A2A L049 Connie Released!

Thanks. I've edited the title to reflect the L049.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks. I've edited the title to reflect the L049.

Thank you and sorry for the typo...

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Because their page is the most confusing thing in the world. It took me like 2 minutes to find it, ridiculous.

https://a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13

Their store could definitely use a fresh new look!  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Gave into the temptation and downloaded it from the A2A site which, contrary to the impression given earlier, is still easy to use and the purchase and download process was quick and straightforward. The Constellation was one of the first airliners I can remember as a young kid when we picked up my cousin who had flown in to Shannon from London on a Pan Am Constellation. It was all the more memorable as it was late at night and the ramp was filled with various propliners refuelling at Shannon for their transatlantic crossing, an amazing sight to this young kid which contributed in no small way to a lifelong passion for aviation. So this airliner was a must for me!

I was not disappointed and, as would be expected with a product from this developer, the Constellation appears to be superb. I have to admit that so far I have only had a short 25 minute test flight on it (without reading the manual!) but it performed flawlessly with the aid of the virtual flight engineer who made sure I didn't overtax the engines. The virtual cockpit modelling is very good and the switches and systems I needed for a short basic flight all seemed to function as expected. There are also some useful 2D pop-up Windows for controlling various functions which I find quite handy and which I usually open on a second monitor to avoid too much panning around the cockpit. The external model is also excellent and the aircraft as a whole is not VAS hungry which is always a bonus with FSX. The flight dynamics seem realistic with a fairly shallow climb being required at maximum gross weight as any attempt at anything steeper can drop the airspeed close to the stalling speed fairly quickly. Also, as was the case with the real aircraft, this airliner is a little unstable in the pitch axis requiring constant attention and careful trimming. I guess using the autopilot might help here (the model comes with a choice of traditional or FSX default autopilot) but I didn't try either on this flight. I also hand-flew an ILS approach which was easy once I had managed to get the aircraft stabilised in the pitch axis - probably would have been easier if I had set up full flap configuration earlier in the approach rather than having to make pitch adjustments with each increment of flap. The engine sounds are amazing and added considerably to the already great sense of immersion felt when using this aircraft! I can see there are going to be a lot more noise complaints from the adjacent room as the temptation to increase the sound volume to experience those Wrights at their best is going to be hard to resist!

For classic piston engines airliners, the A2A Constellation is truly going to be what the Majestic Q400 and PMDG 737/747/777 are to modern airliners in FSX.

Bill

• Upvote 1

For classic piston engines airliners, the A2A Constellation is truly going to be what the Majestic Q400 and PMDG 737/747/777 are to modern airliners in FSX.

Bill

Thanks for posting. Nice and clear!.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by n4gix
Please don't quote an entire wall of text for a 1 line reply!

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Over on the A2A forums, I noticed that a number of people commented that they were not going to buy the Constellation because it does not have GTN750 integration. This is purely because of space constraints in the panel and the necessity to maintain an authentic period panel which I can fully understand. There is however the option to use a number of other GPS units including the default GPS and the GTN650 which 'integrate' into a mounting placed on top of the panel. Clearly a similar mounting to incorporate the larger GTN750 would obscure too much of the windscreen area which is probably why it has not been not offered. Out of interest however, I checked to see if the GTN750 would work with the Connie in a 2D window and I can confirm that it works perfectly.

Of course in reality a GPS would have been in the realm of science fiction when the 049 was introduced into service! Overland radio navigation then would have been by means of ADF and a few VORs which were gradually introduced from 1946. The original autopilot in the 049 was very limited in its 'LNAV' ability and basically the heading mode was used to follow either an ADF or VOR signal. Transoceanic navigation was mainly by means of dead reckoning aided by celestial navigation and a radio system called LORAN the early versions of which had limited accuracy, although this improved in the 1950s as it was further developed.

A2A offer the option of using the original Sperry autopilot built into the panel or using the default FSX autopilot in a 2D window. Until now I have only made overland flights with the Connie and for realism I have used the Sperry autopilot to follow VOR or ADF headings. I have to say that dusting off the Jeppesen charts and doing some old fashioned radio navigation in an FSX classic that requires a lot of hands on flying is a real pleasure, particularly when contrasted with the comparatively sterile process of programming an FMC and then spending a few hours twiddling your thumbs while the aircraft flies itself! However when I start making transoceanic flights in the Connie I plan to use the default autopilot with either the default GPS or the GTN750, as there really is no other option for transoceanic navigation in the simulated world.

Bill

Having flown almost nothing but the A2A L049 over the last couple of weeks, I have to point out what an amazing product this has proven itself to be. It is in the unique category of being almost perfect from the day of release without any significant bugs being found. Clearly A2A have an excellent beta testing team who have comprehensively evaluated the aircraft before release and, as such, A2A is a shining example to many other developers, who shall remain nameless, but whose beta testing can leave a lot to be desired.

Classic large piston fans have been waiting for years for a quality airliner for FSX and, like many, I originally thought that this would come in the shape of the DC-6 after PMDG first dropped a hint about this being in development many many years ago! Like many however I was disappointed at the non appearance of the DC-6 but unfortunately PMDG chose to take the DC-6 down the minority X-Plane route and there is as yet no sign of it being made available for FSX (or P3D). So I, for one, have long given up checking the PMDG forum for this! I would urge any propliners fans who are waiting for the PMDG DC-6 or just undecided about the A2A L049, to forget about the DC-6 and go for the A2A Connie which I can recommend without any reservations. Indeed I have absolutely no doubt that this airliner is as good as if not better than anything PMDG might produce and is truly an FSX classic!

Bill

• Upvote 1

True Bill! Agree with You all the way regarding PMDG, how they came up with the bright idee of releasing the DC-6 for X-plane first beats me! And for sure many others too... What ever was in it for them, sure there was something, is beyond me! I have like You given up on PMDG and the hope for the DC-6 to be released for FSX in the near 5 years or so, at least... Instead they focusing on the release of the 747 V3 or what ever it is... another computerized modern bird without any "soul" at all if You ask me... So hats off to A2A, and thank You for given us a true classic propliner of the highest standard possible! And thanks for releasing it for FSX first! and not the other way around!...

Pelle

Having flown almost nothing but the A2A L049 over the last couple of weeks, I have to point out what an amazing product this has proven itself to be. It is in the unique category of being almost perfect from the day of release without any significant bugs being found. Clearly A2A have an excellent beta testing team who have comprehensively evaluated the aircraft before release and, as such, A2A is a shining example to many other developers, who shall remain nameless, but whose beta testing can leave a lot to be desired.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for having taken the time to tell us your experience with the A2A Connie. I was already at the point stopping to buy new addons for P3Dv3 since I assume that the introduction of P3Dv4 (if really 64bit) would break compatibility with many if not all of them.

But your candid report and enthusiasm tells me I should make an exception here and get the L049. I loved the Manfred Jahn's freeware Connie for FS9 and FSX. I am looking forward to see engines "burning" by default again.

Cheers

Frank

Great that many old classics are getting the A2A touch, I hope they come out with a small pressurized twin GA and something else bigger that is flying around today. But that is my personal preference. Love their Cessna series and hope they expand in the market that Real Air left

• Upvote 1

and hope they expand in the market that Real Air left

That's exactly what I was thinking too.  

[

Great that many old classics are getting the A2A touch, I hope they come out with a small pressurized twin GA and something else bigger that is flying around today. But that is my personal preference. Love their Cessna series and hope they expand in the market that Real Air left

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

It would not be difficult for A2A to step in where Real Air left off, as they have both produced aircraft of the very highest quality. Of course A2A in addition have the Accusim features, but some of these, particularly many engine management features were also mirrored in the later Real Air releases such as the Turbine Duke, where careful engine management was very important. Very sad of course to lose Real Air, but at least we can still look forward to more superb releases from A2A.

Bill

Classic large piston fans have been waiting for years for a quality airliner for FSX and, like many, I originally thought that this would come in the shape of the DC-6 after PMDG first dropped a hint about this being in development many many years ago! Like many however I was disappointed at the non appearance of the DC-6 but unfortunately PMDG chose to take the DC-6 down the minority X-Plane route and there is as yet no sign of it being made available for FSX (or P3D). So I, for one, have long given up checking the PMDG forum for this! I would urge any propliners fans who are waiting for the PMDG DC-6 or just undecided about the A2A L049, to forget about the DC-6 and go for the A2A Connie which I can recommend without any reservations. Indeed I have absolutely no doubt that this airliner is as good as if not better than anything PMDG might produce and is truly an FSX classic!

Bill

Hi,

I fully agree with what you said. And especially with your comment on the DC6 ! It's really a shame !

On an other side If you do not have it I recommend you the A2A B377, you will not be disappointed.

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Really, a GPS unit for Connie? A2A made us a perfect chance to learn aviation history. I rejected their Texan because of a GPS unit. There is someone for every train...