Sign in to follow this  
ap1

SkyVector and FSX Flight Plans

Is it possible to download a SkyVector Flight Plan and change it to a pln format and use that in FSX?  Thanks.

dont  know  havnt  tried  it  as of  yet but  i guess  you can  copy  the route   to pfpx  or  what ever  flight planner  your  using  and  use  the build  route  option

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I thought it wasn't. I'll keep using plan-g and simbrief. Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to download a SkyVector Flight Plan and change it to a pln format and use that in FSX?  Thanks.

There is a freeware flight planner called Little Navmap by Alex Barthel. You don't need to install it, just download the zip file and extract the contents into a suitable folder. Support forum @ AVSIM: http://www.avsim.com/forum/780-little-navmap-little-navconnect-little-logbook-support-forum/

IMHO, it supersedes PlanG and other flightsim planners out there for a variety of reasons. Anyway, although Little Navmap doesn't have a feature to import SkyVector flightplans yet (!), there is a workaround which I'm using a lot. 

# Go to SkyVector, make your plan and when ready, copy the flightplan to clipboard using the LINK button on the upper right corner of the webpage.

# Open Little Navmap. Select Flight Plan -->> New Flight Plan from Route Description (Ctrl + Shft + N) from the menu and inject your flightplan from clipboard to 'Enter flight plan route description' box in the opened window.

Pnjac1E.jpg

# Before pressing 'Read Route Description' button, make sure you delete the following parts of the injected (original) SkyVector plan like in my plan: 

https://skyvector.com/?ll=73.1920007834836,-67.71679686801073&chart=301&zoom=10&fpl=N0120A100%20

and 

all %20 (spaces) between the waypoints.

2IE70nQ.jpg

# When you're done, you can press 'Read Route Description' button, then 'Create Flight Plan' and enjoy your converted flightplan on Little Navmap's map.

# You can now save the flightplan either as PLN or as Garmin GTN flightplan by choosing any of the saving options under File tab of menu :)

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Victor Quebec

That does sound pretty good. Never heard of that program. I'll try that out. Thanks for the help.

also been trying to find some real world flight plans having explored flightaware unable to find the routes and some incomplete ones, but found that skyvector has only the same routes available as flightaware. Looks like they take routes from the same source.

a very creative way of using the route description. :smile:

I think it is easier to use the "Show Mini Navlog" (top right besides the close button) on the Skyvector Flightplan window.

This will give you a line containing also start and destination than can be copy and pasted without editing.

So instead of "https://skyvector.com/?ll=48.487122399574424,11.237915041652276&chart=304&zoom=1&fpl=%20EDDF%20MOVUM%20T109%20HAREM%20T104%20WLD%20EDDM"

you can copy "EDDF MOVUM T109 HAREM T104 WLD EDDM".

But, as I just noticed this does not work with user defined waypoints since SkyVector uses a format I didn't know yet.

I just added this format and it is working now here.

Alex

• Upvote 1

I noticed you can export from skyvector as a GPX file, which looks like an XML file with the navlog waypoints and lat/long positions. Maybe Little Navmap could be enhanced to import the GPX file?

Barry Friedman

Barry,

good idea with the GPX. It would also allow to save the flown track together with the route points.

In general a good format to exchange data with other mapping applications.

Alex

Yes, indeed! Both GPX and FPL formats are based on XML. So, with a suitable XML validator written specifically for these two file types it shouldn't be a problem.

Before discovering Little Navmap, I've written a tiny VBA-based program, skyLOGX, that would use different file formats (mostly XML based), convert them to PLN and vice versa and calculate route parameters based on individual aircraft speeds. Basically, a navlog based on a flight-plan only designed specifically to complete ground work ASAP in such fast-moving environments as FSEconomy, for instance...

Regards,

Victor Quebec