Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

Fail Passive and operational

Fail Operation 737s  are rare  (JAL is the only airline I know of that has it). They do have the LAND 3/2. Most 737s that do autoland just have the FLARE.

Cheers.

By pure coincidence I am looking through Virgin Australia cockpit pictures and noticed one of the 2012 deliveries has fail op on a 737-800 VH-YIF - David Lee

By pure coincidence I am looking through Virgin Australia cockpit pictures and noticed one of the 2012 deliveries has fail op on a 737-800 VH-YIF - David Lee

Got  a link?

Matt Cee

search airliners dot net for the reg, VH-YIF its one of the first pictures in their db of a panel shot you can see the fail op button

Where's the fail op button?

Matt Cee

Where's the fail op button?

To the left of the autobrake and above the upper EICAS screen. See there is the little panel with 2 buttons in a row and a single small button to the bottom right but nothing left? The bottom right button is the fail op button - David Lee

To the left of the autobrake and above the upper EICAS screen. See there is the little panel with 2 buttons in a row and a single small button to the bottom right but nothing left? The bottom right button is the fail op button - David Lee

Oh, I've had planes with that button before but on ours it just brought up the brakes and flight controls, iirc.

Matt Cee

Oh, I've had planes with that button before but on ours it just brought up the brakes and flight controls, iirc.

The top left is the engine status page. The top right is for the hydraulic systems and some carriers have brakes and flight controls on the same status page. But the bottom right button is the fail op button - David Lee

The top left is the engine status page. The top right is for the hydraulic systems and some carriers have brakes and flight controls on the same status page. But the bottom right button is the fail op button - David Lee

I noticed that extra button when I looked at the pic you linked. But what does it do? I've only ever flown planes with fail-passive autoland capability, but my rough understanding is that operationally they're set up pretty much the same way - arm Approach, then select 2nd (and/or 3rd) autopilot.

What does that little button do?

Andrew Crowley

I noticed that extra button when I looked at the pic you linked. But what does it do? I've only ever flown planes with fail-passive autoland capability, but my rough understanding is that operationally they're set up pretty much the same way - arm Approach, then select 2nd (and/or 3rd) autopilot.

What does that little button do?

737 Fail Operational Option and MFD Cancel Recall Switch

Autoland Advisory Messages

[Option – Fail-Operational Autoland Capability]

When a system failure is detected that affects autoland status, an advisory message

is displayed on the upper engine display. Two advisories, NO LAND 3 and NO

AUTOLAND, are available. Only one advisory message can be displayed at one

time. A cancel/recall switch, located on the MFD panel, controls the display and

recall of the advisory messages.

The NO LAND 3 advisory will be annunciated when a failure has occurred above

Alert Height and the system is still capable of continuing to a safe landing. With

this advisory, LAND 2 will be the resulting autoland status annunciation displayed

following dual autopilot engagement on approach.

The NO AUTOLAND advisory is displayed any time above the Alert Height to

notify the crew a failure has occurred and the system is unable to perform an

automatic landing.

MFD-Cancel-recall-switch_zpsiy4bsdcy.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Thanks. That's funny, I looked through my Boeing and company material but it never occurred to me to look in the sim documentation lol.

I wonder why they gave it a dedicated button instead of using the master caution / recall system? Oh well, doesn't matter.

Andrew Crowley

Thanks. That's funny, I looked through my Boeing and company material

Just wondering, are you a real world 737 pilot?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Just wondering, are you a real world 737 pilot?

I believe he is.

I haven't forgot about this thread.  I was kept from doing a NGX flights this weekend.  I will try when I get off work again..

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired