Sign in to follow this  
Skowtura322

The demise of my copy of Prepar3d in 24 hrs

Tried the latest version of FSUIPC and ended up with memory management BSOD's in Windows 10 back to 458 from 459 and all is stable - I'm leaving it there  :smile:

Poor FSX and even P3D probably do a pretty bangup job of running tons of possibly conflicting add ons that the software was never really designed to handle. Over the years, we've kept adding more and more straws to the famous Camel's back, and then having to deal with the mess when the proverbial final straw breaks the proverbial (much overburdened) Camel's back.

I think the fix is what it's always been. Find a few "must have" addons, test them together carefully, then keep it as simple as possible, and stop fiddling with stuff.

Or do like me and finally go "this is ridiculous" and just delete it all.  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As our resident Aerofly FS 2 tech evangelist, how about just hanging out in that subforum?

• Upvote 1

As our resident Aerofly FS 2 tech evangelist, how about just hanging out in that subforum?

Because while I'm not sure where you're from, here in America, it's still a free country, with freedom of speech and all that sort of stuff.

As a general rule, Americans tend to kind of bristle at being told what to do, and in fact, if anything, are likely to do the opposite.

Congrats.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As one of the resident Global Moderators, might I ask nicely that you refrain from making snarky comments Jay?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

However back to the real world my system runs now but occasionally crashes Windows 10 with various errors so FSUIPC may be at fault too - who can tell? Yet again the wonderful world of Sims is turned into a computer error troubleshooting game....ok if you like that sort of thing, or indeed if solutions are ever really possible!

Sounds like you may have resolved this issue already, but for future reference.

Yes, open systems (aka supporting an SDK) will always introduce complexity and reduce stability and the benefit of flexibility.  Some 3rd party vendors will go beyond the SDK to bring about a better flight sim experience but in doing so could reduce stability.  The P3D Guide Here on Page 128 is a good start when you need to diagnose the source of a problem.

This is an unfortunate reality of software development and ever increasing complexity, even more so with smaller markets.  Adobe, Microsoft, etc. all have their share of issues and some very serious requiring a complete OS wipe and re-install ... but with that said, when it does work, it works well and can be a great experience.  Consoles are/were an attempt at insulating the end user as much as possible from the technical side of desktop computing ... however, console development moves much slower and gets "locked" into hardware over longer periods of time.

I've unfortunately started the practice of doing Win10 system images (restore points and backups were not enough to save me one day after a Win10 update) prior to installs of any software and/or weekly as good practices.

Cheers, Rob.

Tried the latest version of FSUIPC and ended up with memory management BSOD's in Windows 10 back to 458 from 459 and all is stable - I'm leaving it there  :smile:

If I can provide some encouragement, I can tell you I have experienced the same malaise of P3D jumping in the background. I re-installed the sim, the addons one by one and with FSUIPC 4,959m, it is finally stable. There are some good reading on Pete Dowson's forum regarding this obscure error. Best of luck, hope it will work for you.. 

Poor FSX and even P3D probably do a pretty bangup job of running tons of possibly conflicting add ons that the software was never really designed to handle. Over the years, we've kept adding more and more straws to the famous Camel's back, and then having to deal with the mess when the proverbial final straw breaks the proverbial (much overburdened) Camel's back.

I think the fix is what it's always been. Find a few "must have" addons, test them together carefully, then keep it as simple as possible, and stop fiddling with stuff.

Or do like me and finally go "this is ridiculous" and just delete it all.  :lol:

I really dislike when Trolls get on a forum and spew their mantra.  :hi:

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I really dislike when Trolls get on a forum and spew their mantra.  :hi:

Its interesting.

I think my reputation on the forum is essentially a good one, (though obviously i'm biased) whereas I don't even know you, but have seen you called a troll several times over, whereupon I withheld both my opinion and my comment, since as a rule my mom raised me better.

I guess the forum will decide whether I'm a troll or not, but in the meantime, people who live in absolutely enormous fragile glass houses......... 

Devons rig

Its interesting.

I think my reputation on the forum is essentially a good one, (though obviously i'm biased) whereas I don't even know you, but have seen you called a troll several times over, whereupon I withheld both my opinion and my comment, since as a rule my mom raised me better.

I guess the forum will decide whether I'm a troll or not, but in the meantime, people who live in absolutely enormous fragile glass houses......... 

OK , maybe you are not a troll. Getting on a P3D forum and trashing P3D and talking about Aerofly like it is the greatest thing in the world, which I think it  is total garbage by the way, in my opinion isn't very smart. Like getting on a forum about GM products and talking about how great Ford is. .. :dance:

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

OK , maybe you are not a troll. Getting on a P3D forum and trashing it and talking about Aerofly, which I think is total garbage by the way, in my opinion isn't very smart. Like getting on a forum about GM products and talking about how great Ford is. But, whatever, Troll On....

Ok, now we are beginning to get into really strange territory. Can you point out to me where I mentioned Aerofly? At All?

I'll wait here, wondering if i've stepped into the twilight zone, while you link the quote.

If anyone is wondering in the meantime, My list of sims and potential sims currently on my HD includes P3D, DCS, Aerofly, Rise of Flight, Outerra, Wings of Prey, DTG Flight School, MsFlight, HawX XPlane10 and XPlane11, Etc so I think I can claim to have a relatively open mind and a basis for comparison.

And a right to my opinion without harassment.

Devons rig

OK , maybe you are not a troll. Getting on a P3D forum and trashing P3D and talking about Aerofly

think you got the wrong user here, maybe you should go re read hiflier post again and see if you get the same conclusion, in fact jay had made the comment on Aerofly

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

ok, guys - how about we agree to just drop itand move on? I don't have time to keep explaining why I lock threads.

:)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I've unfortunately started the practice of doing Win10 system images (restore points and backups were not enough to save me one day after a Win10 update) prior to installs of any software and/or weekly as good practices.

Good idea - Windows 10 is weird, it 'feels' unstable at base level. As the upgrades happen it feels a bit like subtle shoring up of a dam about to burst - whilst the operator hopes it will cross the 30% barrier. Alas a lot of the instability results from the 'glitzy' and surprisingly rapid upgrade from Windows 7 (one of my computers suffered that) my other one - a new install feels much more stable. Microsoft have been trying for a long time to appease the 'lowest common denominator user' by burying access to the OS as best they could, and at the same time obsessing about 'security'  and Christmas Tree baubles like 'Cortana' which, paradoxically, is one of the biggest security breaches of all.

Nobody can help but admire Microsofts past ability to transform MS-DOS into a 'user-friendly' GUI over the years but the 'user' has grown-up, we want our OS to 'operate' and be stable, above all - we are no longer 'amazed' by toy 'bolt-ons'. Our investment in software deserves a rock solid foundation not a bed of tinsel - there is too much at stake - and since you (MS) have locked us in, I think its time to understand prisoners need better care, and can easily revolt.