I've decided I need to pull the trigger and build myself a new PC that will be used for FSX and P3D exclusively. My system just can't run the complex aircraft with any type of scenery.

I know there's a ton of topics here regarding the same thing but I'm only concerned with my build and some of these messages get a little convoluted so I am asking for opinions/advice on the following system. I tried to mirror the Jetline Systems Gravity GT2 the best I could and determined I could build it myself for about $1000 less than retail. I realize this isn't the exact system but would still like some opinions on what I might expect with this rig. Thank you.

• ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Pro Gaming i7 Motherboard
  • Intel i7-6700K Skylake 4.0 GHz CPU
  • ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD
  • NZXT H440 Silent Mid-Tower case

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

A solid performing flight sim platform is what you should expect from that build.

If you swap the 1070 for a 1080 it's almost the exact rig I have.  I'm not implying you need a 1080, BTW.  :)   I run it into a 43" 4k UHD monitor at native resolution, no problems at all with P3D and PMDG aircraft and Orbix / AS-16 and ASCA.   If you are planning on outputting to 1080p it's probably all you'll ever need and more.  

That ASRock board has performed as solid as a rock for the last 9 months and the 6700K is a workhorse.  I have mine oc'd to 4.6 with just a CoolerMaster EVO Hyper 212, there are better coolers for even better results.

I'd probably have a additional smaller SSD just as a boot/system drive, but that's me.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

If you are planning on outputting to 1080p it's probably all you'll ever need and more.

In fact, if you're planning on going for 2160 x 1440 then it's all you'll need.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

A solid performing flight sim platform is what you should expect from that build.

If you swap the 1070 for a 1080 it's almost the exact rig I have.  I'm not implying you need a 1080, BTW.  :)   I run it into a 43" 4k UHD monitor at native resolution, no problems at all with P3D and PMDG aircraft and Orbix / AS-16 and ASCA.   If you are planning on outputting to 1080p it's probably all you'll ever need and more.  

That ASRock board has performed as solid as a rock for the last 9 months and the 6700K is a workhorse.  I have mine oc'd to 4.6 with just a CoolerMaster EVO Hyper 212, there are better coolers for even better results.

I'd probably have a additional smaller SSD just as a boot/system drive, but that's me.

I do have a 1TB HDD in my current system that I could swap and use for storage. I could get a 500GB SDD for my OS. I thought about the 1080 but its about $200 more currently. But I am curious how much of an improvement I might get?

Also, would you recommend a CPU cooler or will the stock fan be okay?

Michael Hutton

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB | MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | WD Blue SN580 M.2 2TB | Samsung SSD 990 Pro 2TB x 2 | Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB | NZXT C1200 1200W PSU | NZXT H9 Elite Mid-Tower | Windows 11 Pro 64-bit | Allegiant Virtual Airlines

Also, would you recommend a CPU cooler or will the stock fan be okay?

The 6700K doesn't come with a stock cooler - Intel consider it an "enthusiast" CPU so you have to provide your own.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Just built the exact same rig for myself, other than an ASRock Z170 OC edition board. I got an H115i watercooler and RM750W PSU for it too.

It is a fantastic setup! Prepar3D works amazingly well with PMDG addons and complex scenery. you will not be disappointed.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

The 6700K doesn't come with a stock cooler - Intel consider it an "enthusiast" CPU so you have to provide your own.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that I need to order a cooler.

Just built the exact same rig for myself, other than an ASRock Z170 OC edition board. I got an H115i watercooler and RM750W PSU for it too.

It is a fantastic setup! Prepar3D works amazingly well with PMDG addons and complex scenery. you will not be disappointed.

That's good to hear! I'm looking forward to having a decent P3D rig.

Michael Hutton

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Pro Gaming i7 Motherboard

Intel i7-6700K Skylake 4.0 GHz CPU

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO 8GB

Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB RAM

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD

NZXT H440 Silent Mid-Tower case

So.... how did the system build go??? Keen to hear your experience as it is so similar to mine. I also followed Jetline as far as i could, but took a slightly hybrid approach between the GT2 and GTX.

I have been enjoying mine very much. Well, that was until last weeks hard drive failure (the only component i recycled from my old PC - and yes, i regret that now!). I have just bought and installed a new Samsung EVO 850 500GB and a 1TB WD Black edition drive, and am mid-re-installing everything...

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

So.... how did the system build go??? Keen to hear your experience as it is so similar to mine. I also followed Jetline as far as i could, but took a slightly hybrid approach between the GT2 and GTX.

I have been enjoying mine very much. Well, that was until last weeks hard drive failure (the only component i recycled from my old PC - and yes, i regret that now!). I have just bought and installed a new Samsung EVO 850 500GB and a 1TB WD Black edition drive, and am mid-re-installing everything...

My build went very smooth...I am very pleased with my setup. I didn't recycle anything from my old PC. I run P3D almost exclusively without any trouble at all. The only problem I've ever had was OOM issues flying into KLAX with Orbx Southern California in the PMDG NGX. I ended up uninstalling/reinstalling the Orbx scenery and haven't had any more issues.  All in all, I'm very pleased with the performance my system provides.

Michael Hutton