Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Wind and the skyscrapers in NY...

I'm wondering if on strong winds one can notice some clipping effect from the buildings... ?

For instance, pick the C172, a high and large tower, a wind from 12 o'clock, from behind the tower, and fly towards it, first not aligned and then align with the building and see if there's any type of reduction in intensity, or even better - turbulence !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It was modeled in Flight Unlimited 2 and 3 :-), which also had a great modelling of wake turbulence... hence my curiosity....

Test it Tony, and let me know the results :-)

If it's modelled I will delete DCS and IL.2 and reserve all of my disk space, and my simmer heart, just for Aerofly FS2, no matter how long it takes to mature a bit more and really become a flight simulator....

I would put me away from this stupid temptation to spend my days enjoying the superb flight dynamics of both DCS and IL.2, but using that to shoot virtual foes in intense furballs ... I am no longer aged to play these war games ....

And it would help me forget of yet another X-Plane flop :-/

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

And it would help me forget of yet another X-Plane flop :-/

Well, a "flop" just for you actually, since the community has never been so interested in it as it is now. :smile:

But don't want to derail the thread, and yes Aerofly FS 2 looks incredible from what I see.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yeah Murmur, I recognize it's many ( X-Plane ) pluses, and I like it too... even if I refuse to use it without proper Moon and days and some FDM quirks, which I look forward to see addressed...

Thanks to you it got even better along the v10 run, and who knows Austin will address the weathervane issues too along v11...

As much as I like AEFS2, it can't really compare to XP11 or FSX / P3D because there are many aspects lacking in terms of what simmers want to have in a sim. It has the simplicity of a smartphone simulator, ported to the PC, but users want more - detailed systems and additional flight dynamics details too. Yet, the way it is coded ( very clear code indeed ... ) offers a wealth of chances for any developer willing to invest in it.

It lacks proper Moon phases and precise date settings though - a killer for me :-)

I also do not have it installed because that would force me to clear all of my other sims ( DCS and IL.2 - but never ELITE which version 9 I am eagerly beta testing :-) ), to open space. I can't break my 250 GB SSD rule at home !

Honestly, Murmur, XP11 is a very positive surprise. Just looking at the effect of wind or  parked aircraft with the struts giving in on downwind side and the aircraft slightly banking, it's unique!

But when I opened this thread I was going through the memories of old promising titles which lasted a lot less than I expected / wanted too - Flight Unlimited, Propilot ( v 99 culminating with ESP Protrainer which was a kind of professional remake of PP99 ), Fly! and Fly2!, and last but certainly not least MS FLIGHT which relighted my interest / addiction for flight simulation again...

Main Simulation Rig:

Jose you are like the Flying Dutchman of Flight sims, doomed to wander the sea forever, disappointed and searching......   :lol:

If you ever find the sim that satisfy's you completely, an angel will get its wings.

And I will be ecstatic for you!

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Jose you are like the Flying Dutchman of Flight sims, doomed to wander the sea forever, disappointed and searching......   :lol:

If you ever find the sim that satisfy's you completely, an angel will get its wings.

You captured it !

I'll find the perfect sim, I guess, the moment I takeoff from here... for good :-)

But I am satisfied already with DCS and IL.2. They're both just good enough to please me, and prevent me to uninstall either...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

jcomm,

Before you ever fade away - please find a way to try out VR and FS2 (I'm assuming you haven't yet). I am an old , full career Boeing engineering simulator developer who has been losing interest in flight sims at home until I tried VR. But I was disappointed in the lack of enough smoothness - (90FPS Stereo is very demanding!!) UNTIL Aerofly FS2 came along. As long as you have a 4.0Ghz PC with an Nvidia 970, you will get a real smile on your face.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

If anyone needed a reason to buy AF2 I'd suggest NE States - NY including a number of airports - KJFK, La Guardia, etc. flying in VR is fantastic. At $10.00 right now it can't be beat. Also, the VR flying in AF2 is head and shoulders above the addons FlyInside for P3D/XP11. A native built VR solution at 64 bits is the only way to go, Now I can fly the 747 from LAX to KJFK.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

FM is a big deal for me and few simulators have it right. I think DCS and IL-2 have very good flight models but FSX and AF2 don't, really, neither does the Thirdwire line, although all of them have pluses.

Since I used to fly small planes, I know what a stall feels like and AF2 doesn't model it well or at all, it seems. But as for looks, no one can beat AF2. It does give you a genuine sense of flight strictly in the visual category, which is huge. If you want to know what flight LOOKS like, I would recommend AF2.

FM is a big deal for me and few simulators have it right. I think DCS and IL-2 have very good flight models but FSX and AF2 don't, really, neither does the Thirdwire line, although all of them have pluses.

Since I used to fly small planes, I know what a stall feels like and AF2 doesn't model it well or at all, it seems. But as for looks, no one can beat AF2. It does give you a genuine sense of flight strictly in the visual category, which is huge. If you want to know what flight LOOKS like, I would recommend AF2.

If you have real life expertise, then consider offering it. The developers are very open and are working hard to get it right, and people have even joked with them on Steam to go home and get some rest. 

Start a thread with them like this one!  :smile:  http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/7451-A320-performance

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

jcomm,

Before you ever fade away - please find a way to try out VR and FS2 (I'm assuming you haven't yet). I am an old , full career Boeing engineering simulator developer who has been losing interest in flight sims at home until I tried VR. But I was disappointed in the lack of enough smoothness - (90FPS Stereo is very demanding!!) UNTIL Aerofly FS2 came along. As long as you have a 4.0Ghz PC with an Nvidia 970, you will get a real smile on your face.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

It took me decades to get TIR, and I finally got one offered by a friend who was not using it anymore.... VR headsets are just too expensive and would require a considerable PC upgrade - I'm still on an i5 2500 although the GC is relatively good - GTX 960 4GB.

But it's on my list !

Yes, DCS and IL.2 are presently, together with ELITE PC, my only two installed sims... Would like to get your opinion on X-Plane too ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Guest Mik75

Loooooool!

That's a good one! ;-)))))

I somejhow already found the two perfect sims - DCS and IL2 Battle of... but they're both Combat oriented, and pretty much nothing of what is hype for their users is really of much interest for me, although I admit I somehow got addicted to dogfight :-) specially in IL.2 ....

Main Simulation Rig:

I have pretty much one test for FM...just stall the plane. If it doesn't stall right, the FM is not right.