Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Switching from AMD to Intel

Hi all,

For the past year, I've been struggling with AMD and P3D. I just couldn't get them to like each other. I got a GTX 1060 this Christmas, only to see P3D was bottlenecking the FX8350 and 1060.

Now, I'm looking at switching to Intel. I have NEVER touched an Intel and heard it's much more difficult than AMD. I'm looking for a good i5/Motherboard combo, one that P3D really likes.

Does anyone have a good idea at a $200 combo? What tips are there to having an Intel?

Regards,

Grant

Now, I'm looking at switching to Intel. I have NEVER touched an Intel and heard it's much more difficult than AMD.

What do you mean exactly? A CPU is a CPU, do you mean overclocking etc?

A intel chip will blow your socks off in regards to AMD. Take a look at a 6600K or Preferably 6700K that will smoke P3D.

Look for motherboards with an 1151 socket type. 

You want to get a new CPU and Motherboard for $200? Or $200 for CPU and $200 for motherboard?

If you want it all for $200, I am sorry to tell you that will not be possible, you could find something but it will be severely held back in perf by your price. 

You're not going to get anything good at that price point. A 6600K is $240 at newegg, plus another $125 for a motherboard and around $120 for 16GB of DDR4.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Right, I forgot and Luke hit the nail on the head, you will also need new RAM that is DDR4 that is another $80-140, sorry man its just not happening. 

Find someone upgrading and take an older i5 2500k for example? Not the absolute best performance available but should be pretty good for the price still if you can get one in good nick.. Mines still going strong at 4 yrs old and 4.7Ghz o/c and runs P3D at Rob Ains settings (minus a little bit on shadows and dynamic reflections) at 25-40fps in the NGX. Worth considering if you're budget won't take you to the latest hardware?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I'd like to keep using the same RAM, just to cut some costs down. I do have an H80i, but from what I hear, Intel's work well enogh with P3D to not need to be overclocked. I can go up to around $300 if that's good. 

I am looking for a Processor, AND a Motherboard.

Doesn't matter if they are a bundle or not.

Thank you guys for the responses so far!

If you want to keep your same ram then you cant get the last two releases from intel. I think the 2700K would be what you could get but I dont think you can buy them anymore. 

If you want to keep the memory, you're looking at DDR3 so a Haswell core and motherboard are what you need. The Devil's Canyon i5 is $239 and you'd be looking at another $125 or so for the mobo.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Not really looking for a used one, but thanks for the heads up!

Soooo, I've done some research, and I found this i5 that has good reviews and looks decent  (https://goo.gl/YICazh)

What's a good ATX motherboard for it? I found the MSI Z97, but I'm not sure if there are any other good ones out there.

Intel, Asus, Biostar ! Not Msi, Had a couple Msi Failures! - Johnman B)

Meh

Yes Intel cpus are faster but you need to spend the money! That i5 you listed is just ok. It's not going to be the big boost you're hoping for. And it's a locked multiplier. Not the end of the world, but you'll need to do some research for overclocking.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Meh

Yes Intel cpus are faster but you need to spend the money! That i5 you listed is just ok. It's not going to be the big boost you're hoping for. And it's a locked multiplier. Not the end of the world, but you'll need to do some research for overclocking.

I think I'll wait for Kabylakes to release and see if the i5 6600k price goes down.