Sign in to follow this  
MercenaryTiger

OOM Error on approach

Hi, it would be really helpful if anyone could help me

I fly 90% of the time in the PMDG 777 and I always get an OOM error on final :sad:

My specs:

Inter®

Core2 Duo CPU

E7500 @2.93GHz 2.94 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.00 GB usable)

32 bit operating system.

I know its not suitable for gaming :P

I never get OOM when using default airports but when I use da freeware airports the VAS reduces rapidly during touchdown and I get an OOM error. ( I fly in VATSIM)

If anyone of you could fix this error then I would be more happier than my wedding day  :Tounge:

Its really frustrating when one day I was about to land after a 9 hour flight from Delhi to Heathrow and then an OOM error occured just after touchdown... :sad:

I only wanna use the freeware airports to get the updated taxiways and gates as provided in the charts.

Not the payware ones....

I hope anyone could tell me a solution for me :)

Probably the cheapest solution is to get another 4GB of DDR2 and upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Probably the cheapest solution is to get another 4GB of DDR2 and upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows.

Cheers!

Luke

Any alternatives other than that? My parents wouldnt let me buy a card... :( I know it sucks...

MercenaryTiger

The free option is to put the 777 in the hangar for a while. :(

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Guest JustanotherPilot

MercenaryTiger

More Ram wont prevent OOM/VAS. FSX and P3D are 32 bit applications, they  can only use up to 4gb RAM, of which the operating system and everything else needs a piece of. The Forums have numerous post with OOM issues, myself included, until LM releases a 64 bit version of P3D (assumimg you are using P3D), which would raise the 4gb limit  this will always happen. You  have a very basic system, the PMDG 777 alone uses 800mb of VAS.. The only suggestion that may would be to back off your sliders for scenery and autogen, probably everything else. I recommend running a VAS monitor each flight to determine exactly what scenery/aircraft are using up your RAM. I have had to stop flying the 737NGX and 777 because of OOM/VAS. I'm now using the AS Airbus and the newly released TFDi B717, which shows promise for memory usage.

We can no longer just get up and fly in Flight Simulation, we have to be  system monitors as well.

steve

In Windowed mode I read somewhere that if you click on the 'Maximize/Restore Down' button to restore down the window for a few seconds then maximize you can recover some VAS.

As odd as it sounds, it works.  Flying the Q400 from Flightbeam's KIAD to Imaginesim's KRDU would result in an OOM error about the time I entered the approach for KRDU.  Doing the above a few times during the flight eliminated the issue.

If you have FSUIPC4 I would recommend setting up the option to observe your available VAS in the title bar or use the FSX VAS Monitor.

Ernie

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

Cheapest solution? Save your flight  before TOD. Then restart FSX, load the saved flight and you're done. Log off VATSIM first. You can always rejoin he session once you're established in stable flight again.

Cheers!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

ore Ram wont prevent OOM/VAS. FSX and P3D are 32 bit applications, they can only use up to 4gb RAM

This is true but OP has a 32 bit Windows OS so he can only use up to 2GB of VAS unless he employs the /3GB switch - http://scorpion.tordivel.no/help/GettingStarted/3gswitch.htm.  Only in a 64 bit version of Windows can you use up to 4GB's.  With his current system setup, he's going to have to use FSX without any scenery other than the default when he's using the PMDG 777.  He might get away with it if he limits his flights to no more than two hours.  

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Guest JustanotherPilot

This is true but OP has a 32 bit Windows OS so he can only use up to 2GB of VAS unless he employs the /3GB switch - http://scorpion.tordivel.no/help/GettingStarted/3gswitch.htm.  Only in a 64 bit version of Windows can you use up to 4GB's.  With his current system setup, he's going to have to use FSX without any scenery other than the default when he's using the PMDG 777.  He might get away with it if he limits his flights to no more than two hours.  

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I always get myself confused with RAM/VAS. I think it's 64 bit or nothing these days. In your capacity, have you heard anything definite from LM in going down this path?

I don't have anymore info than anyone else.  I just know that LM appears to be following the same development strategy as Microsoft did for FS.  Microsoft released a new version every two years (i.e., 2000, 2002, 2004, FSX).  P3D V3 was released in Sep 2015 so a V4 should arrive around Sep 2017 if they continue to follow previous release strategies (they don't have to).  So we should know sometime around Sep 2017.  I know many members will be high agitated if there isn't a major upgrade like to 64 bit!!

Most Windows OS disks contain the 64 bit version of the OS too.  If not, think you can get one for a small shipping and handling fee as it should be free. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Cheapest solution? Save your flight  before TOD. Then restart FSX, load the saved flight and you're done. Log off VATSIM first. You can always rejoin he session once you're established in stable flight again.

This plus using a program like Scenery Config Editor to limit scenery loading to only the dept/arrival airports and enroute areas might give you a fighting chance even on a 32-bit system.  FSX does not release the memory used by departure airport and enroute scenery--restarting the sim gives you a fresh start with no VAS blocked by scenery already behind you.  Arrival is always challenging from a VAS perspective, as you get the double-whammy of loading the airport scenery objects and all the AI aircraft on/around the airport.  Starting that scenery load with a bunch of unreleased and/or fragmented VAS from the flight in often proves to be a bridge too far.

The "A" answer is to upgrade to a 64-bit OS...but not sure I'd go there on an old dual-core machine.  The 3GB switch can also help, but can cause other issues, especially if you have a video card with a lot (>2 GB) of VRAM.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Best regards

Thanks for the suggestion,

Im gonna try to do the 3GB switch thing. I'll tell the results after some time.

Best regards,

Jim

OH MY GOD THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE

I changed to 3GB switch

I THOUGHT I HAD TO SPEND MY LIFE FLYING IN DEFAULT AIRPORTS

Previously I had 200-150 mb of VAS, NOW I HAVE 1GB+ VAS

I love you Jim Young you are a god!!

You have no idea how happy I am!

Thanks soooooo much for the help  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :smile:  :smile:

You have no idea how happy I am!

Every so often I get lucky and say something right....

Good to hear it works (so far). 

Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Every so often I get lucky and say something right....

Good to hear it works (so far). 

Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Jim

Happy New Year to you too  :wink:

MercenaryTiger