Sign in to follow this  
anubhavs

Constant left bank in XP11

I seem to have a constant left bank/roll on both the Cessna and King Air in XP11. When in level flight, with no winds and centered yoke, the plane seems slowly stars banking left and I have to apply a consistent right roll to correct it. I have checked and rechecked and recalibrated my yoke (GoFlight Yoke) but can't get rid of this.

Anyone else have this issue and any ideas?

I think this is the torque from the propellor which causes an opposite left turning moment on the fuselage.

It should diminish with speed.

Try Adjusting Augmentation, or Shift Your Weight and Balance, a "Cats Whisker", Laterally Left !! Johnman B)

Thanks guys but I think this effect is way more pronounced than the prop torque as my aircraft will start spiralling downwards if I don't take any evasive action in about 30 seconds. It also doesn't seem to wane with higher airspeeds. Is everyone else experiencing the same thing (but less pronounced?)

after you trimmed for level flight, try using right rudder trim to oppose the left bank tendency.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

That would have to be a constant right rudder trim right? Is that realistic or just a workaround?

I think a real C172 is designed/rigged in order to have about zero rudder trim in cruise flight, and should require some rudder trim in other flight phases for prop effects.

The default X-Plane C172 isn't probably 100% accurate in all these details, so it requires a little rudder trim for cruise level flight.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I think a real C172 is designed/rigged in order to have about zero rudder trim in cruise flight, and should require some rudder trim in other flight phases for prop effects.

The default X-Plane C172 isn't probably 100% accurate in all these details, so it requires a little rudder trim for cruise level flight.

On some 172 models there is a fixed rudder trim that has to be adjusted on the ground. Nevertheless, even in perfect "trim conditions" fuel distribution is asymmetrical  causes airplane to bank toward "emptier" tank. This is when switching between left and right tank comes  really handy! As well as, approach checklist which require to set fuel selector to both before landing just in case if one tank runs out dry :) 

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Actually, this is pretty easy to fix. I am certain that you already have calibrated your controllers, however, start a flight, get airborn, and THEN go back in and re-calibrate the controllers, while you are in your flight. Don't ask me why this works, but somehow the program looks at 'something' differently if you are airborn than if you are not, and that certain something seems to make a difference.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Actually, this is pretty easy to fix. I am certain that you already have calibrated your controllers, however, start a flight, get airborn, and THEN go back in and re-calibrate the controllers, while you are in your flight. Don't ask me why this works, but somehow the program looks at 'something' differently if you are airborn than if you are not, and that certain something seems to make a difference.

Interesting! I'll try that and report back.

Sadly that didn't fix it. Still have the left bank. Just to confirm that it wasn't the joystick config issue, I even tried reversing the Roll axis in XP to see if the aircraft would now start rolling right. But no, its still a left bank.

If that's a realism thing then I am very surprised to see how large of an effect this is. The plane would literally end up in a 30 degree bank if I didn't correct it in 15 seconds.. is that effect really as strong in real life?

Have you tried using a little right rudder trim? I can have it fly straight and level for minutes, if I trim it until the left bank is gone.

If that's a realism thing then I am very surprised to see how large of an effect this is. The plane would literally end up in a 30 degree bank if I didn't correct it in 15 seconds.. is that effect really as strong in real life?

Did you watch two videos above?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Don't under-estimated the torque caused by P-factor in a single engine prop aircraft. My CFI many years ago showed me how significant this can be in a C172- he showed me stall entry and recovery, then had me do it without mentioning to me how to mitigate P-factor (right rudder). This was a "departure stall", so all amplifying the effect- slow speed, high angle of attack, high power. All done at altitude, of course.

Because I didn't have right rudder applied, when we got to the stall we went into an incipient spin, which freaked me out big-time. My last recollection of just before the stall/spin was the sky moving in a circle in front of me. I will never forget this incident, and always watch right rudder. Sure, spin recovery is not required for the PPL, also not allowed, but this burned a memory into my brain like nothing else. We spun about one-half a turn before the CFI recovered.