Sign in to follow this  
oliver1234

What does the Flight Sim Community really need?

As stated above!

Don't be saying things like, a 64-bit sim... We know!

More things like applications for the sim to increase realism, tools etc. What would you like to see?

Oliver Mitchell

Either cheaper addon prices or cheaper hardware because right now it is just a hobby for people with a large amount of disposable income. The 64it and DX11+ helps because you can run cheaper hardware and get good performance.

• Upvote 1

IMO, we need a sim that in its default state can provide us a highly detailed and stable simulation environment. By environment I mean, high-quality sceneries, high-quality weather depiction, fully formed modern ATC with real world procedures and a realistic traffic environment -- all in a default version.

The add-on world can then provide us better aircrafts and airports, but the default sim should be self-sufficient in giving us a highly-detailed environment.

The user can then customize the settings according to their computer to achieve a stable performance scenario but the sim shouldn't make us reach out for more add-ons. Reducing our dependency on add-ons can go a long way in freeing up computer resources. Currently we treat most sims as a base layer but then look to supplement almost everything on top of it. IMO, only aircrafts and airports should be really add-ons we should be craving for, because the rest of it should be provided to us by the default simulator.

IMO, both P3D and XP11 fall short on these. 

And yes, I am probably asking for too much :)

P.S. Another thing I have always thought we could use was a true multiplayer setup where we can interact with other simmers while flying a "live" version of the sim so to speak where we interact with other pilots at our departing airport, chat with them, hear their ATC chatter, hear about weather en-route etc. Just to lessen the "solitary" feeling of the whole thing.. perhaps VATSIM already does this?

• Upvote 1

I'm going to set my sights lower...

• obstruction lights on towers...steady red, flashing red and white strobes.
  • improved night lighting in general both on and off the airport.
  • realistic looking rotating beacon.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I think that the Simmers that Really Need the Super Detail, Step by Step, Just like the Real Planes, and want to spend $70 to $100 Dollars for them, Great. I also think that Developers should also offer the same Aircraft in a Much Simpler Detail and Complexity, and a Considerably Lower Price, for us Low and Slow, Low budget Hobby Fun Flyers ! Remember all the Freeware available for FSX ?? How often do You get close enough to an Airplane to Count the Rivets, and Who's looking at the Airplane anyhow ?? - Johnman B)

• Upvote 1

I'm going to set my sights lower...

• obstruction lights on towers...steady red, flashing red and white strobes.
  • improved night lighting in general both on and off the airport.
  • realistic looking rotating beacon.

These can all be found to varying degrees (and depending on the scenery authors implementation) in XP.

One sim - to unite simmers again. Too many of us are splitting off

Developers are leaving (market was tiny enough to begin with).... not good.

DTG, FSX:SE, P3D, XP10/11, Aerofly

• Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Less time tweaking and more time flying, or maybe just more time for flying.

We have it pretty sweet now compared to when we first heard the news that Microsoft was dropping support for FSX.

• Upvote 1

Need?  Young, smart, creative minds and people to fill some big shoes.  I'd like to see a slew of new talent come on to the flight sim scene.  The pioneers of the flight sim and add-on community answered the call and created some of the most innovative and useful items, making our hobby better and keeping it as real as possible.  It appears we will have what we have for some time, so how can we continue to create add-ons that carry on the tradition?  New ideas and most importantly, new talent that can take our hobby to the next level.  

I often see questions that could be answered with a little effort, like, "Is there a freeware _____? (fill in the blank)," or "What is the best GA aircraft?"  "Best" is such a subjective word because best to you and me are different.  Besides, looking for items yourself lets you see the tens of thousands add-ons already out there.  The people in this forum are fantastic and have provided so much help and assistance over the years.  What I'm hoping for are people who wish to step in as the "experienced" ones fly off into their retirement years.  Searching, playing, and tweaking are the ways I've learned what I need to know to make my hobby enjoyable and keep it relevant.  

This is certainly not a slam on anyone.  Thank you to those before us for making remarkable add-ons, to those who have spent countless hours learning the SDK and how to tweak for max performance, to those who have answered the silly questions many of us have had, and to those stepping up to take over.  We have more accurate airports thanks to the efforts of Ray, Craig, and many others.  We have sim activity on the waterways thanks to the genius of Henrik.  And we have many users simming better because Zippy was there to help out on a level I could understand.  

Happy New Year to everyone, and happy flying.

Honestly hardware. The jump from the ~$160 yoke to the ~$500 is steep. There has to be a middle ground to appeal to everyone. I am happy I found the Crosswind pedals, and I think the price point is spot on with the quality.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Honestly hardware. The jump from the ~$160 yoke to the ~$500 is steep. There has to be a middle ground to appeal to everyone. I am happy I found the Crosswind pedals, and I think the price point is spot on with the quality.

I'll go one step further than that: a reasonably priced (<$250) force feedback yoke. The two most difficult things about hand flying in a home flight sim have almost always been the visuals and the "feel" of the controls.

Visuals made a huge jump with tools like TrackIR, which made changing views much more natural. And now with VR, it's a quantum leap with things like depth perception, etc. In other words, while not everyone has it yet, the visual problem is pretty much "solved."

But control feel... If you've ever flown a plane in real life, you know what the forces feel like. Maintaining straight and level is way easier in a real Cessna 172 than in the sim. Trimming out the controls, a constant exercise in frustration in the sim, couldn't be easier in real life. Get the plane pointed where you want it, and then trim until you don't have to exert any force on the controls. Simple!

More than anything FS-related, I want a good force feedback yoke for hand flying.

Jon Skiffington

I'll go one step further than that: a reasonably priced (<$250) force feedback yoke. The two most difficult things about hand flying in a home flight sim have almost always been the visuals and the "feel" of the controls.

Visuals made a huge jump with tools like TrackIR, which made changing views much more natural. And now with VR, it's a quantum leap with things like depth perception, etc. In other words, while not everyone has it yet, the visual problem is pretty much "solved."

But control feel... If you've ever flown a plane in real life, you know what the forces feel like. Maintaining straight and level is way easier in a real Cessna 172 than in the sim. Trimming out the controls, a constant exercise in frustration in the sim, couldn't be easier in real life. Get the plane pointed where you want it, and then trim until you don't have to exert any force on the controls. Simple!

More than anything FS-related, I want a good force feedback yoke for hand flying.

I agree. You won't realize how easy it is to actually fly a plane straight and level until you actually do it in an aircraft. You can feel the controls fighting you when the plane is not trimmed.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

With the coming of a number of changes, at least in the U.S., such as ADS-B, the decommissioning of VOR's and the changes to the airspace system and IFR approaches that will bring and changes to airports, such as changing runway headings with the shift in magnetic north (slow change I know) or there outright closure, someone, or more likely group, should be looking into modifications of FSX to attempt to keep it relevant into the future. I know these would be massive changes, but unless someone other than X-Plane is developing a whole new sim then what we have now will be not much more than a pretty play thing in the not to distant future. 

Either cheaper addon prices or cheaper hardware because right now it is just a hobby for people with a large amount of disposable income. The 64it and DX11+ helps because you can run cheaper hardware and get good performance.

It's almost becoming an elitist hobby.