Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

RealAir Lancair v2 for P3D?

Does anyone know if there's absolutely anywhere I can buy this plane for P3D?  I have it for FSX and the Duke v2 for both but alas, before they unfortunately closed shop I never did buy a copy.  Could it still be bought at some obscure out of the way place on the web?

Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

I have it but I'd like RealAir's too.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it is possible to buy it anymore.  Doesn't make any sense that they would just shut down and not keep selling a product that is so much in demand, but such is life  :unknw: It was lucky for me that I always bought everything that RealAir made, because I like their Lancair much better than the one from Orbx also.

I was really hoping to see a version 2 for P3D on the piston Duke, but never came to be.

Doesn't make any sense that they would just shut down and not keep selling a product that is so much in demand,

Maybe demand wasn't as high as people like to think that it was.

Stop selling product = no more effort (=hours&money) for support, website maintenance, bugfixing, administration, etc.

At the current prices, and assuming the developer would have to pay himself, spending even 20 minutes on a support request already kills any revenue received through that license.

• Upvote 2

LORBY-SI

Pity that they don't release it as freeware then... If you stop selling it, why block out everyone who hasn't bought it yet? That's a waste imho.

I wonder if RealAir would allow a transfer of license in this new situation...

Pity that they don't release it as freeware then... If you stop selling it, why block out everyone who hasn't bought it yet? That's a waste imho.

I wonder if RealAir would allow a transfer of license in this new situation...

At this point I'd pay double.

Jack Sawyer

Maybe because it'd be pretty disrespectful towards those that paid for the license, be it 2 years before they shut down or 1 week?

I know I'd be slightly annoyed for having spent 45€ (I think it was 45) for the Lancair to see it become freeware a few months later.

I agree that it's a waste though. I would much rather see them still selling their products under a "no support will be provided and no updates will be made" condition.

Regards,

André

If you stop selling it, why block out everyone who hasn't bought it yet?

Well who  fault  is  that,  users  had the  chance  to purchase it well before  the  notice  that it was closing.Not  like  it was  just on the market  last week

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Well who  fault  is  that,  users  had the  chance  to purchase it well before  the  notice  that it was closing.Not  like  it was  just on the market  last week

Yes, but why not let Flight1 or any other shop sell it...? You'd still make money with it. It just is a waste their planes are completely off the market now. If I would have put so much effort in something I would certainly keep it available for everyone somehow.

Yes, but why not let Flight1 or any other shop sell it

Yea true, but I guess  users  have  to abide  what  the  devs  has  already said  why  he  has  gone  this  way, so no good  in keep  going  its  not  going  to get  very  far, as  for  flight  1  still selling it  think  they are  still selling  the  real air  legacy  still but its  for  fsx  only

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes, but why not let Flight1 or any other shop sell

I think the point is that if it is being sold (by whomever) they still need to provide consumers with some sort of support. They are just not in a position anymore to support it.

Yes, but why not let Flight1 or any other shop sell it...?

Because then Flight 1 would have to provide support. To be able to do that, they have to have the source project from RA. But a transition project can be a massive undertaking for both sides, with many weeks of effort. Source code that you have developed for your own product seldom is documented in such a way that you can just give it to someone else. And if you only get sources that someone else wrote, without specification, developers documentation and test documentation, you are often better off to just develop it a second time yourself. OK, that is an exaggeration, but it may well be enough effort that it is just not feasible financially. 

Funny thing is, that there are a lot of titles being sold in the shops where the original developer is no longer around. Which goes to show why it is so hard sometimes to get support in case of a problem. Luckily there is the "community" for that and other customers may have worked out the problem. Doesn't sound right to me, TBH.

About the freeware idea: first and foremost as a developer you have a responsibility to your customers. Ethics might not be en vogue in economics, but it surely feels wrong to release something as freeware that other people have paid for (and that is still current). The ususal time span until that happens is about 15 years after the title became obsolete. I suggest looking up the term "abandonware". There is a lot of information available about the pros and cons plus the many options about what to do with obsolete titles. But Real Air products are far from being obsolete.

LORBY-SI