I have the following computer as my primary flying computer. Intel I5 4670K 4.3Ghz,16GB PC1600 DDR3 RAM,2x250GB SSD,Geforce GTX970 4GB,Windows 10 64bit

I am looking for advice to either upgrade the CPU to a I7 6700K c/w motherboard and DDR4 RAM or obtain a GTX 1070 for my existing motherboard in the first instance.

I an currently running unlimited and pushing a constant 34-36fps with usual Orbx and UK2K scenery.

Ideally I want to do both but my dear wife would file for divorce if I spent that much in 1 sitting.

Thoughts please.

Thanks

S

Stephen Simpson

Systems: Flight System: AMDRyzen7 7800X3D, 32GB DDR, RTX4090,Windows 11.

Utilities System: I7 8700K 4.8Ghz,32GB 3000 DDR4 RAM,1x1TB SSD,Geforce GTX1080ti 11GB,Windows 11.

Hi Steve,

I personally would go for an i7 upgrade. The 1070 would increase your performance, but not as drastically. Plus, with the i7 and 970, you won't be bottlenecked at all.

Regards,

Grant

Hi Grant. Comment noted. I've ordered a 1070 as will need this anyway and will follow up with cpu once kaby lake comes out.

S

• Upvote 1

Stephen Simpson

Systems: Flight System: AMDRyzen7 7800X3D, 32GB DDR, RTX4090,Windows 11.

Utilities System: I7 8700K 4.8Ghz,32GB 3000 DDR4 RAM,1x1TB SSD,Geforce GTX1080ti 11GB,Windows 11.

Ideally I want to do both but my dear wife would file for divorce if I spent that much in 1 sitting.

You could always find another wife....

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Generally I will always favor (for now) 2011 and 2011 v3 chipset. Those are CPU work horses, tons of cache and processing power. I find that 1156, 1155, and 1151 are generally good for games which require a a mix of 60%+ GPU and 40%- CPU. Everything else it will lose out to 2011 due to the fact that those board are made for CPU dependent software programming. 

I've been running i7 3820 for years, and found stable clocks on 4.8Ghz, 5.0Ghz and 5.1Ghz but tend to run 4.8Ghz for less thermal pressure.

Understand one thing, no matter which CPU you are going to get you will always have to overclock it in order to take full advantage of what you have. So read about optimal clocks, preferable on overclock.net. Another thing to look at is a mixture of CPU, GPU and RAM all those 3 things can potentially bottleneck each other. On the side now, for some reason FSX (at least for me) hates HT (Hyperthreading). I managed to squeez out 4-6FPS on some high load sceneries when I turned off HT and optimized my Jobscheduling