Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Dell UltraSharp U3417W at 30Hz?

Hi all,

Currently ordered this monitor, but I see some mixed views about refresh rate. I read about the U3415W which I suppose is similar.

Some say that it does not support 30Hz, others say that it can support 30Hz via nvidia control panel. 

If someone could confirm if this monitor can run 30Hz I would be very grateful. Of course I am interested in 30Hz at the same image quality as 60Hz and not a worse image quality.

Thank you for your time.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Ok, just confirmed that it supports 30Hz over HDMI natively. Now my next question is if I should consider creating a custom profile in NCP using the Display Port or use the HDMI instead. I am a little afraid creating a custom profile as there is a notice that will may damage the monitor and void guarantee. Is it really any difference between DP and HDMI for P3D?  

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |

Hi...

Can't answer your question - but - would appreciate a PIREP once you get it all setup... Interested in that model as well...

I did watch a video on YouTube that stated there wasn't much difference in performance between HDMI/2 and DP...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi!

I'll give you a quick review. Its an amazing experience! I moved from a Samsung 24'' HD monitor. The cockpit and the environment seem so much more natural and big. The second big plus is that its not 4K so not much hit on fps (I didn't noticed any) while pixel density is high 109 ppi comparable with a 4K 42'' TV. Third plus, I don't have to use NI at all . With no NI, there are some minuscule shimmering (ex. passenger windows frames of PMDG) that is not distracting at all to me. However everything is so much sharper. The cockpit indications, the displays on the PMDG are super sharp and clear, zero complaints, perfect. I preferred this one over competition for its high build quality (very sturdy) and its so professional look as I don't like the gaming monitors appearance (too childish to me). I certainly recommend it.

I only got a little worried while I was waiting for it (and wrote this post)  about the 30 Hz  support but which I now felt great relief confirming that it supports 30 Hz natively over HDMI.

Googling in Wikipedia I read that HDMI 2.0 (the one supported by this monitor) can support 4K at 60 Hz which I suppose is fine and so I can use HDMI instead of DP for everyday use and P3D.

Hi D,

Thanks so much for the additional feedback - yeah - think I'm sold and will probably be joining you in the near future...

:wink:

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I bought the Dell 3415W about 6 months ago for under $900 cdn on sale one weekend. Fabulous monitor. Excellent warranty too.  I'll be interested to hear about the 3417W.

Dave

Hi all,

Currently ordered this monitor, but I see some mixed views about refresh rate. I read about the U3415W which I suppose is similar.

Some say that it does not support 30Hz, others say that it can support 30Hz via nvidia control panel. 

If someone could confirm if this monitor can run 30Hz I would be very grateful. Of course I am interested in 30Hz at the same image quality as 60Hz and not a worse image quality.

Thank you for your time.

Why do you want a 30Hz Monitor ? VS 60Hz ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

cause you have a perfectly smooth stutter free sim, if you can achieve more than 30fps. There are many threads in avsim about that.

cause you have a perfectly smooth stutter free sim, if you can achieve more than 30fps. There are many threads in avsim about that.

I thought the higher monitor refresh rate the better ?

Link ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

This thread is the only way I have found to air the topic, please someone advise on how to put it somewhere else if necessary. I have a PC with 3 identical Acer S240 displays running with Windows 10 and FSX. Two of these displays work fine. The other one turns on 30℅ of the time but more often refuses to light up. I see 4 possible root causes of the problem but want to diagnose properly before spending money. 1 it might be the monitor: faulty electrolitics etc? 2 connection - plugs, sockets, the cable itself. 3 The graphics card. 4 The Windows 10 OS &/or config. The question is can anyone suggest how I can determine what is wrong before I replace or renew something.

Hope someone can help.

Brian