Sign in to follow this  
Hirdy2013

Advice for new P3D system

Hi everyone.

Hope you all has an amazing Xmas......

Just a little time poor in getting information on a good system to run P3D.  I have a budget of $1.8K and looking to make the switch from FSX to P3D.

If anyone out there can put together some specs I would greatly appreciate it.  A few months ago I picked up a GTX 970 4GB so was thinking of using it in the new system to save some $$.  I also intend to use my existing 27inch monitor and not looking to go into 4K just yet.  I have all the ORBX range (pretty much) and run PMDG, high quality scenery addons etc.......

Appreciate your help guys.

Jas

1 simple advice: go for the fastest cpu !

You may want to wait a month or 2 for the new i7-7700K

With OC it will run  at 5GHz easely

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Your GTX970 GPU should be ok for a while. So focus on spending your budget on the best CPU, RAM and motherboard. You can then always upgrade your GPU down the line, maybe in a year, should you feel it is necessary. It is much easier to swap out a GPU than a motherboard or CPU.

Either a i7 6700K or as Willy647 suggested, hang ten another month or two for the new i7-7700K. We have to assume it will be better for P3D, but no telling just how much better. Probably marginal I would guess. You will need DDR4 RAM. Go with minimum 16GB and look for RAM that can run at 3000MHz or higher. On the RAM, go with 2 x 8GB over 4 x 4GB. Even if the motherboard has 4 slots, using only 2 is generally better as there is less demand on the memory controller (potentially more stability, especially on an overclocked system).

Also consider a decent CPU cooler to allow for some overclocking head room. The Corsair H100i series is a good option and easy to install. Probably need to budget for a new copy of Windows 10 too, unless your current copy is not locked to your current system. Don't install Windows 7/8 unless you have a specific reason to want to stay behind.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Looking at the Benchmarks -> it makes no sense to wait for the 7700K, the 6700K is quite as good.

6700K vs. 7700K:

IPC-Performance (@ 4.5 GHz) 100% 100,3%  (+0,3%)

Overclock a 6700K and you good to go.

I am waiting for the Kaby lake. You can overclock a 6700 to 4500Mhz but a 7700 stock clock is 4500 and is overclockable to near 5000Mhz. Higher clock speeds are the most important factor in P3D performance.

Basically KabyLake is a Skylake with better production yield.

So I am not too excited for KabyLake even though I could use it on my mainboard.

Some early reports on the web say that Kaby Lake does not overclock all that well due to high temps. Don't ask me for a reference though and I know you can't trust everything you read on the web but don't ignore it either. My 6700K is running a 24/7 OC of 4.7GHz. so a 7700K running at around 4.8 - 4.9 is unlikely to make a difference you can actually see. Only synthetic benchmarks will measure those differences.

Thus I would say that i7-7700K makes sense over the i7 6700K only if the price difference is not too vast.

Almost all Sky Lake boards will run Kaby Lake. Just a BIOS update that might be required.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Some early reports on the web say that Kaby Lake does not overclock all that well due to high temps.

OC to 7GHz  !

Ok, this is not for all of us, but I think that 5 - 5.5 Ghz is realistic and will give a noticeable boost to P3D

https://www.techpowerup.com/229007/intel-core-i7-7700k-cracks-7-ghz-bench-stable-overclock

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Thanks everyone for the info.  I really appreciate it.

Hope you all have a great 2017 and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Jas

OC to 7GHz  !

Ok, this is not for all of us, but I think that 5 - 5.5 Ghz is realistic and will give a noticeable boost to P3D

https://www.techpowerup.com/229007/intel-core-i7-7700k-cracks-7-ghz-bench-stable-overclock

Yeah, 7 GHz with 2 cores disabled :-D Nice "overclocking".

I think 5 GHz should be ok with watercooling, everthing above will result in high temperatures.

But hey, let's hope for the best. If it's good I'm gonna sell my 6700K....