Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

10 years in and the sim still crashes with a mouse click.

We are ten years into FSX/ESP/P3D and the simulator still crashes with a mouse click. For me most often as I'm lined up on the runway with clearance. I usually have 60-90 minutes vested in the setup, weather/flight planning/VA/ATC etc by this point. Event viewer shows an unhandled exception, .NET framework.

I've had this very same problem with multiple computers, FSX and P3D, multiple add-on aircraft. How is it that after all this time a mouse click can still bring it all down?

James McLees

We are ten years into FSX/ESP/P3D and the simulator still crashes with a mouse click. For me most often as I'm lined up on the runway with clearance. I usually have 60-90 minutes vested in the setup, weather/flight planning/VA/ATC etc by this point. Event viewer shows an unhandled exception, .NET framework.

I've had this very same problem with multiple computers, FSX and P3D, multiple add-on aircraft. How is it that after all this time a mouse click can still bring it all down?

Never had that with P3D, what version are you using, computer specs, add ons etc... 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I have too.  P3D on a flight from KIAD to EDDF somewhere over Boston or so.  One click on a light switch and BOOM.  Stay calm...mantra, mantra, mantra...deep breaths.  The one thing I'll say is that VAS on that flight had gotten pretty tight at one point.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

FSX & FSXSE was an unstable disaster for me but no such issues in P3D as yet going on 4 months.

spacer.png

Event viewer shows an unhandled exception, .NET framework.

What was the "Name" of the Module that caused the crash?

"I usually have 60-90 minutes vested in the setup, weather/flight planning/VA/ATC"

Which VA?

Which ATC?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Which OS? The latest versions of P3d require the most recent version of .NET.

Just to complete my post, it only happened once to me.  No VA, no ATC, PMDG 777, Windows 7 Pro, P3D (not sure which version.  It was a year ago and I think it was one of those generic errors.  Thankfully, that one hasn't happened since but it was memorable.  Wow...a light switch.  Still get the occasional (rare) CTD from terrain.dll which has been also annoying.  As a general rule, if an add-on causes the sim to CTD once it's in the doghouse.  Second time, it's gone.  I'd flown over Drz NYC at 35,000 feet and it pushed my VAS to the limit and now it's in it's own little SimStarter world, safely tucked away in case I get the itch to fly out of a very real looking NYC.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Here is the error for the curious:

Application: Prepar3D.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 7159FF4C 

Windows 7 64 bit. P3D 3.4 Hotfix 2 which requires .NET framework 4.6.2. FTX Global, MT6, ASNext, iFly 737.

I'm not really looking for a fix guys. It was a rant. I've learned to breathe deeply and walk away for a few hours when this happens. It is not common like it was in FSX but it still happens and we are not going to solve it today. My point is that after 10 years, it still happens at all!

James McLees

Here is the error for the curious:

Application: Prepar3D.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 7159FF4C

It would be helpful to see the Faulting Module Name that caused your crash.

Click on
Start
in search box type ...
event viewer

then next, here is example.

nwevjpg_zps9ggnttb9.jpg

Best Regards,

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          12/29/2016 8:41:30 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      X79
Description:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.4.18.19475, time stamp: 0x5851bfd2
Faulting module name: gdiplus.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b714
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000aff4c
Faulting process id: 0x1240
Faulting application start time: 0x01d261d4034665c1
Faulting application path: C:\Simulator\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.17514_none_72d18a4386696c80\gdiplus.dll
Report Id: 807ce9a8-cdcc-11e6-b6e3-c86000cc94b1
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-12-29T13:41:30.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>13520</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>X79</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.4.18.19475</Data>
    <Data>5851bfd2</Data>
    <Data>gdiplus.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.17514</Data>
    <Data>4ce7b714</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>000aff4c</Data>
    <Data>1240</Data>
    <Data>01d261d4034665c1</Data>
    <Data>C:\Simulator\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.17514_none_72d18a4386696c80\gdiplus.dll</Data>
    <Data>807ce9a8-cdcc-11e6-b6e3-c86000cc94b1</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Wow...a light switch.
I know right!

James McLees

James,

"Faulting module name: gdiplus.dll,"

"<Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus"

Best Regards,

FSX & FSXSE was an unstable disaster
Ain't that the truth.

James McLees

From Goggle.

"Gdiplus.dll is a type of DLL file associated with May 2012 Security Release ISO Image developed by Microsoft for the Windows Operating System. The latest known version of Gdiplus.dll is 1.0.0.0, which was produced for Windows. This DLL file carries a popularity rating of 1 stars and a security rating of "UNKNOWN"."

I wonder if this May 2012 security release file could be deleted without causing more issues, just a thought.

Picked up a little utility from dll-files.com. It replaced the corrupted gdiplus.dll file and that has fixed the issue. Thanks all!

James McLees