Sign in to follow this  
donkey20048

Might be me being stupid but need to ask

I want to step climb in the 777 and use pfpx fine and it calculates the step climbs and also the fmc shows the step climbs in the legs page. It also shows it in the recommended FL so I know I'm not to heavy st that point but wen with the auto step climbs enabled in the options in fmc and the level dialled in already on the MVP it still isn't climbing without me forcing t to climb by pressing in the altitude button on MVP

Can someone advise as I'm sure I'm missing a step (no pun intended)

Cheers

Stewart Cumbers

Hello,

With the auto step climb option enabled, you don't need to change the altitude on the MCP. The option will simulate this along with the press on the altitude button.

Are you sure that the CDU displays NOW under AT on the VNAV cruise page (below STEP TO on the top left), meaning that you have reached the S/C pseudo-waypoint?

The recommend flight level doesn't always correspond to the step climb level.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Affirm it always says now when it gets to that way point but maintains the current FL even if I have dialled in the top Fl requested on route

I know it is me that has done something wrong but can't work out what it is I'm missing

Stewart Cumbers

I know it is me that has done something wrong but can't work out what it is I'm missing

Leave the MCP altitude at the altitude the FMC has for your cruise altitude.

As an example:

You're cruising at FL320. The FMC VNAV CRZ Page shows FL320 as the cruise alt. The MCP altitude should be FL320. Don't try to outsmart it, or think ahead of it. Behave as you would on any other flight (where you would not have a different altitude dialed into the MCP other than the one you're flying at cruise).

Kyle Rodgers

Ok so dial in the initial cruise altitude and leave that alone for the rest of flight until descent? I thought I'd have to change the dial

Cheers Kyle I'll do that :)

Stewart Cumbers

Ok so dial in the initial cruise altitude and leave that alone for the rest of flight until descent?

Yes, the auto step climb option will change the altitude on the MCP when reaching the S/C. It is possible that the fact you dial a higher altitude in prevents the option from performing correctly.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.