Sign in to follow this  
nz_kiwi

FSX SE freezing on the setting screen

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me? because I have run into an issue I cannot fix.

I have just reinstalled FSX SE back onto my win 7 64 bit machine. It is stock standard with no tweaks to the config. When I go to the setting screen and after adjusting the items I need to adjust I click on the "OK" button and then the game freezes causing a shut down and restart. It does not matter which of the tab screens (display, aircraft, scenery, weather and traffic) I am on it happens on all of them.

If anyone has any idea I would be greatful for your advice on how to fix this. Thank you. Oh,I am also getting script errors when I come into the home screen on startup.

regards Tom

machine specs are:

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 E-ATX Quad Channel LGA2011 Motherboard              

Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4960X 3.6Ghz 15MB LGA2011  

Mushkin Redline Ridgeback 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 (994105)

ASUS RAIDR Express 240GB PCIe SSD

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2003FZEX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA3

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA3 

Asus GeForce GTX780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0 x 2

Corsair Hydro Series H90 140mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

SilverStone Strider Gold ST1000-G 1000W Modular PSU 80Plus Gold 

Dell U2711 27" 2560x1440 UltraSharp IPS Monitor 

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27” 165Hz ISP 2560X1440, nVidia G-Sync LED Monitor

ASUS 12x Blu-ray Writer

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe Fatal1ty Pro Series 

Altec Lansing THX MX5021 speakers with sub woofer 2.1

Cooler Master Haf X full tower case

Did you use an old FSX.cfg after you reinstalled FSX?  If you are having issues just with the FSX settings, you just need to delete or move the fsx.cfg to a temporary directory, restart FSX and let the config rebuild.

If that does not fix the problem, then you need to post the Event Viewer regarding the crash/freeze and/or an AppCrashView report (see page 7, AVSIM CTD Guide, Actions to Take if a Crash is Encountered).  There are images and directions on how to do this. 

Page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide shows you how to fix most Freezes/Crashes in FSX.  See the link in my signature.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

That CTD guide is very well done, some excellent advice in there. I used the stock config that was created on launching. I deleted that config and the two suggested dll files. I renamed the scenery config file but then fsx would not start so I had to rename it back again. On crashing and restarting windows I could not find anything in the event viewer or "AppCrashView" that related to FSX crashing. I even noted the time of the crash down so it would be easy to find but no luck. I am going to uninstall it and try again. I am also reinstalling this onto a clean install of the operating system (I formatted the drive yesterday).

regards Tom