Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Is the i7 6700k really worth it?

Sorry for all the PC questions lately, really trying to find a good upgrade!

Basically the title is my question. Is it worth $350? Paired with the GTX 1060, and the MSI Z170A, what could I expect in P3D and GTA? I normally get around 20FPS in P3D and 60FPS in GTA V.

The CPU will be good for P3D

The GPU will be good for GTA

The two programs are really kind of sensitive to opposite things, I think, though of course there is some overlap.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The CPU will be good for P3D

The GPU will be good for GTA

The two programs are really kind of sensitive to opposite things, I think, though of course there is some overlap.

I see you have the 6700k, how does it perform within P3D, in the NGX?

Sorry for all the PC questions lately, really trying to find a good upgrade!

Basically the title is my question. Is it worth $350? Paired with the GTX 1060, and the MSI Z170A, what could I expect in P3D and GTA? I normally get around 20FPS in P3D and 60FPS in GTA V.

If on a budget and not requiring HT, the 6600K will serve you well, and overlooks well usually. 

If on a budget and not requiring HT, the 6600K will serve you well, and overlooks well usually. 

I was actually going to go with the 6600k, but I decided to just go all out. I'm tired of having 20 frames in P3D, so I decided the 6700k would be a nice choice, I just want to see how it performs.

I see you have the 6700k, how does it perform within P3D, in the NGX?

The 6700K is a phenomenal chip, I love it! Overclocks great, performance is far superior and with a simple all in one cooler the temps a great too.

4.80Ghz, I get north of 30fps all the time in the NGX at payware airports. The 777 still drops me down to about 24-26fps in VC at KLAX, but I have tons of AI traffic and a 4k display.

See this 

Or this to get an idea, these I made off my PC not too long ago, 

I was actually going to go with the 6600k, but I decided to just go all out. I'm tired of having 20 frames in P3D, so I decided the 6700k would be a nice choice, I just want to see how it performs.

Yep, I had a great budget, and just play games these days no simming. Don't regret going for the 6700K at all.

6700K is $20 off at newegg till Wednesday

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |