Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

RAM upgrade question

I currently run 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) of 2400 MHz DDR-3 G Skill Trident X RAM in the B slots. I just purchased an additional 8 GB of the exact same RAM with same timings. Do I need to change anything in the BIOS before inserting this RAM? Should I add it to the A slots or move my old RAM to the A slots and put this new RAM in the B slots? Anything else I need to do before adding this RAM? What is the best process to add new RAM? Maybe I am overthinking this, but just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

I just purchased a Noctua CPU cooler so I know I can fill all 4 slots now, just FYI.

Thanks!

Yes, you are over thinking it. Just insert in the two free slots. 

You can check all is well afterwards with CPUz. 

Are you using an XMP profile? If so, you may have to set it again.

After you insert them you can also run dxdiag and see if your pc is reading 16gb Ram.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Currently, in my AsRock BIOS, the XMP profile is set to 'Auto' but I also see an 'XMP Profile 1' and 'XMP Profile 2'. I have no clue what those profiles are for. The auto setting is what was recommended when I first purchased the mobo and is what I have been using with 2 DIMMs.

Currently, in my AsRock BIOS, the XMP profile is set to 'Auto' but I also see an 'XMP Profile 1' and 'XMP Profile 2'. I have no clue what those profiles are for. The auto setting is what was recommended when I first purchased the mobo and is what I have been using with 2 DIMMs.

I dont think you have to worry about BIOS settings with RAMs. If your pc is reading the additional RAMs you're fine. I would worry about BIOs in case of Gpu change.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Just look at your motherboard manual and check what the configuration is for 4 DIMM's. XMP, in general terms, is an Intel specification for automatically overclocking your RAM. I'd leave it on AUTO. 

XMP will run the RAM at it's manufacturer rated settings, frequency and timings. Settings that the manufacturer has tested and regarded as stable.

If you don't either use the XMP profile or enter the frequency and timings manually, then it won't run at the advertised settings, it will run slower, the JADEC settings probably. Unless you bought super slow RAM to begin with of course.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I installed the 2 new DIMMs and selected the XMP profile 1 in BIOS which was the profile I wanted. When I check the 'Memory' tab in CPU-Z I get this:

DRAM frequency: 1199.8 MHz

FSB:DRAM: 1:9

CAS Latency: 10

tRCD: 12

tRP: 12

tRAS: 31

CR: 2T

Under the 'SPD' tab, in the Memeory slot section I get:

Slot #1: Max bandwidth - 667 MHz

Slot #2: " "                        800 MHz   

Slot #3: " "                        667 MHz

Slot #4: " "                        800 MHz

I'm not sure what to make of those readings.

So, I am running 4 x 4GB DDR 3 2400 MHz RAM 10-12-12-31 1.65V (all 4 are G. Skill Trident X)

1199.8 is correct, as it's DDR. So 23996. 

As for max bandwidth in the SPD tab... it's just the default boot designation for the chips. This is the info your BIOS looks at upon initial boot or after a CMOS reset. So don't worry at all if after you multiply it by two it doesn't equate to 2400 MHz.

So all good.  :smile:

XMP will run the RAM at it's manufacturer rated settings, frequency and timings. Settings that the manufacturer has tested and regarded as stable.

If you don't either use the XMP profile or enter the frequency and timings manually, then it won't run at the advertised settings, it will run slower, the JADEC settings probably. Unless you bought super slow RAM to begin with of course.

Thanks for clearing that up.