Sign in to follow this  
LuxCaptain

Upgrading GPU for Prepar3d v3.4

Hey All, I'm currently using a GTX 750 Ti and I think the time has come to upgrade that GPU.

It depends on the situation but sometimes the 750 ti has a 100% load and everything starts to stutter so I put the tessellation settings to low.

I'm planing that when I have a more powerful GPU, these stutters will go away and after putting the tessellation setting to max I get a small fps boost too.

It's very important to know that I don't play a lot of graphic intensive games and when I do the settings don't have to be on ultra. For me it's no problem if they are "only" on high, as long as the frames are at 45, witch I'm getting at the moment.

I have 2 possibilities : Upgrading to a GTX 970 or a R9 380, both 4 Gb Vram.

Is the R9 380 (equivalent to GTX 960) enough for Prepar3d at the moment ? I fly some pmdg aircrafts, sometimes on flytampa sceneries with all the usual addons like Rex and so on..

If so, I'll take the r9, if not I consider purchasing the 970. 

I want you to remember that I upgrade the GPU only for Prepar3d and not for gaming in general. 

I hope somebody can help me with the decision :)

If so, I'll take the r9, if not I consider purchasing the 970. 

I would go with the 970 as nVidia has always done a better job developing stable drivers. I have the 970 and its a great card.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I know that performance in general will be better in the 970, but if the r9 380 is enough, I don't want to spend more money. It's not a problem of money but it's rather about wasting.

Hi, I can help a bit, as I've got a 390x gpu.

First question though, what resolution are you running? 1080p or something higher and what's your cpu?

If they are both similar priced though, get the 970 over the 380.

i would go with a 1070. especially if you have given 4k even the slightest thought.

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I'm running at 1080p. After selling my 750 Ti, I have to add 25 € for the r9 and for the 970 100 

I'm running a fx 8350 4.3 GHZ, I know it's amd but I pretty happy with it.

Hi Folks,

I moved from a GTX570 to a top end GTX970 and the improvements were marginal... P3D on a Sandy 2700K running at 4.7GHZ on a 1200x1600 monitor - maybe the improvements would be more noticeable at higher resolutions ?

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I went from 750ti to 960 to 970 to 1070.

To be honest I found my 750 provided almost as a smooth experience and performance than the 960 and 970 - no idea why. I may be picked up 3-5 fps in some scenarios but nothing much to warrant the additional cost. I actually found the 970 worked the hardest (85+%) to keep up with the sim, with the fan running almost constantly. Every system runs differently, I am sure others can provide alternative opinions from their experiences. 

Now the 1070 is a different story. The workload is very low and I never hear the fan run with P3D. Everything is smooth and the textures load faster. Plus it looks great with 4k. Can you now find used 980's cheap? I have no idea about Radeon's someone else can chime in on that.

Hi Folks,

I moved from a GTX570 to a top end GTX970 and the improvements were marginal... P3D on a Sandy 2700K running at 4.7GHZ on a 1200x1600 monitor - maybe the improvements would be more noticeable at higher resolutions ?

Regards,

Scott

How's the workload on the 970 ?

I went from 750ti to 960 to 970 to 1070.

To be honest I found my 750 provided almost as a smooth experience and performance than the 960 and 970 - no idea why. I may be picked up 3-5 fps in some scenarios but nothing much to warrant the additional cost. I actually found the 970 worked the hardest (85+%) to keep up with the sim, with the fan running almost constantly. Every system runs differently, I am sure others can provide alternative opinions from their experiences. 

Now the 1070 is a different story. The workload is very low and I never hear the fan run with P3D. Everything is smooth and the textures load faster. Plus it looks great with 4k. Can you now find used 980's cheap? I have no idea about Radeon's someone else can chime in on that.

If you had the choice choosing a GTX 960 or a 970 for P3d, what would you pick if the prices would be 75

(50 AUD) different ?

Between the two I would go 960. It actually performed better on my system than the 970 and was a lot quieter. May be I just had a bad one??

Although my ultimate advice would be to keep the 750ti, save up a little more and get a used 980 or better. 

Between the two I would go 960. It actually performed better on my system than the 970 and was a lot quieter. May be I just had a bad one??

Although my ultimate advice would be to keep the 750ti, save up a little more and get a used 980 or better. 

Thanks, I'll consider that.

Don't know about the R9. I had the 970 and it does a decent job. I now have the 1080AMP Extreme and like has been the long history of the FS series your improvements aren't dramatic when you have all the Orbx products and flying out of a payware airport with a payware plane. I'd actually wait for the 64 bit version either from P3D or Steam FS or go to XP11. The latter sim you do see a substantial effect in a card like the 970. But an old program like the FS series even with the GPU tweaks by P3D will probably only bring some marginal improvement for you from the 970.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Is it true that if I set the tessellation setting to maximum, having a capable card to do it, I get some fps more ?

I had a GTX 660. Wanted a fairly cheap upgrade of GPU and and found the GTX 1050 Ti ( Super Clocked version.) I'm really pleased with it. Easy install, even takes it power from the motherboard no need for a 6 pin connector plug. Have a look at the reviews, for £160 it's changed transformed P3D for me, smooth stutter free flying. I have an old i5 3570k Overclocked to 4.2 ghz and can sustain a stable locked 30fps in most conditions of scenery and weather.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1