Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Making The XP Move

Well, it looks like I'm finally making the the move to XP after the XP11beta launch.  It takes an awful lot of getting used to though after FSX & P3D;-)

Here we go again with the gradual repurchasing of payware addons. Can't say i'm glad about that, but looking fwd to seeing what becomes available for XP11 once the beta is over.

Think I'll probably keep P3D installed. For a while at least.

Well, it looks like I'm finally making the the move to XP after the XP11beta launch.  It takes an awful lot of getting used to though after FSX & P3D;-)

Here we go again with the gradual repurchasing of payware addons. Can't say i'm glad about that, but looking fwd to seeing what becomes available for XP11 once the beta is over.

That's what I said as well - at first.  But, P3D is gone now.  When 64-bit is announced, I will take another look at the platform.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Welcome to the club! ;) I myself didn't actually move to XP11: I noticed I simply stopped playing P3D... and for now I am enjoying myself with freeware only. But it won't be too long before I purchase something. Probably X-Enviro.

Good move. Won't regret going 64 bit. I still have P3D (and and bare bones FSX - Steam) installed. But I was reminded again yesterday why P3D/FSX 32 bit series is a dying breed. Flying with all the Orbx additions, from payware to payware airport by the time I got to the destination airport, my fps was down around 10 fps and I was getting pings with my VAS around 200 megs. Terrible experience. Like you I spent a lot of money trying to squeeze every last drop out of a long past due for rest series.

One thing you'll find out about the XP series beside the great 64 bit part, is there are great freeware airports available.

i7-4790 3.6 ghz  DDR3 16GB, 1080AMPExtreme 8gb.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Welcome to the club! ;) I myself didn't actually move to XP11: I noticed I simply stopped playing P3D... and for now I am enjoying myself with freeware only. But it won't be too long before I purchase something. Probably X-Enviro.

Hello Jeroen

I wondered where you had gone;-)  I took the plunge with X-Enviro last night. So far, I'm extremely pleased with it.  Getting rid of those terrible XP clouds has increased the immersion factor 100% for me!

Go for it - i'm sure you wont regret it.

Have you guys seen this.... Its outstanding!!!!

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/111305-boeing-b738-800-modified/&

Hello Jeroen

I wondered where you had gone;-) I took the plunge with X-Enviro last night. So far, I'm extremely pleased with it. Getting rid of those terrible XP clouds has increased the immersion factor 100% for me!

Go for it - i'm sure you wont regret it.

Haha, yes, I was here: apart from not playing P3D anymore I also stopped visiting the P3D forum. I have been a PITA in various Aerofly FS 2 topics but that is a closed book too (for the most part). And yes, X-Enviro seems to be THE addon to get to upgrade default XP11. I will probably get it when I have time again to really do some flightsimming.

That's what I said as well - at first. But, P3D is gone now. When 64-bit is announced, I will take another look at the platform.

Even though I haven't used it anymore I still have P3D installed but I can't imagine buying P3D 64 bit... unless it comes with a completely new graphic system that equals XP11. Which won't happen. IMHO P3D going 64 bit is the best moment to switch to XP. And I think a lot of simmers will take that moment to evaluate what they want and what each sim offers. If you have to start almost all over again anyway, you might as well start with a more up to date and future proof sim.

Well, it looks like I'm finally making the the move to XP after the XP11beta launch. It takes an awful lot of getting used to though after FSX & P3D;-)

Welcome! I also still have P3D installed but i stopped investing in it, ill also have a look when its 64 bit. I installed XP11 on a portable external hard drive and its working great, xEnviro is a must have add on though Ben Supnik mentioned recently on xp's blog he is working on improving default clouds performance during beta. Id like to see if this means better cloud textures/representation.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

That's what I said as well - at first.  But, P3D is gone now.  When 64-bit is announced, I will take another look at the platform.

That's my attitude. I'm on XP11, but hey LM - call me when 64bit version is up.  :P

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I deleted p3d and honestly dont miss it much other than the majestic dash 8 , which is my favorite plane. However, the saab 340 is just as impressive for me and honestly inside the xp world its exceeded the dash 8. this isnt a bash on p3d I was one of the first people to move from fsx to p3d when there was nothing on that platform, but I think theyve take it almost as far as it can go. 64 bit wont solve a plethora of issues it has with the origional code. It was a great platoform but I think xp is much more flexible and the amount of high quality freeware or donateware is amazing, so you dont need to spend a ton to use xp.  I did buy the NYC airports and NY by DD. The Ixeg 737 classic is nearly on par with the pmdg 737ng.  I love XP and i do hope lockheed can take p3d to the next level but for now its not arrived and xp11 has....

• Upvote 3

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Well, it looks like I'm finally making the the move to XP after the XP11beta launch.

I am joining you too. I just hate the big secrecy with P3D. If they are going to release a 64 bit version why not just come out and say it and provide their customers an estimated timeline. For now I will give XP-11 a shot and see where it goes.

The freeware airports do look very good.

I moved over to XP11 too and stopped investing in P3D. The only thing I'll miss is the upcoming PMDG 747 which I'll be sitting out. Hopefully they come out with a XP11 version in the next year or so, but for the time being I am exploring more of the GA universe in XP 11. Think I'll be doing GA for the next 6 months or so before reassessing airliner alternatives in XP 11.

• Upvote 1

Loved FSX...Loved P3d....now loving XP11...     All these programs are great in their own light, but in my eyes...the one that brings me closest to flight without interruption and bankruptcy wins my attention.  So right now that is XP11.  Congrads to the team for their continued effort and success thus far...

Loving xenviro too.

I'm loving X-Plane 11! 

I haven't made a P3D flight since buying the Beta, and I own a TON of Orbx scenery.  I haven't uninstalled P3D yet, but it's days are likely numbered.  The only thing that I really miss are the seasonal textures, since I live in and fly in a mountainous region, were winters are long and the weather is brutal.

As a small GA flyer, I just find that X-Plane (finally!) gives me a better feeling of flight, and it's sim world feels a lot more realistic (at least in northern New England, where I do most of my flying).  I HATE flying over baked in scenery, where there are roads and rooftop images under so much of the 3D rendered scenery.

I'm holding off adding any addons until after the non-beta version is released, and then I'll likely make X-Enviro my first purchase, as the default clouds really detracts from the sim in a big way.  We also need a really good ATC for this sim (but I have hope that a couple of 3rd-party addons will eventually give us this).

Oh, I wanted to add that I own both X-Plane 9 and 10, but they were just not good enough to be my primary sim.  X-Plane 11 finally does that.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I see some of the movers have moved because of 64 bit. I haven't. In all my years with P3D I think I had two OOMs and that was in the beginning. I moved because I found the XP11 beta to be far more immersive than P3D. I moved because I find the ESP engine (the way it works with scenery and textures and light) is outdated and XP11 is soooooooo much better. A world of difference. XP is far from perfect but what it does well, it does a lot better than P3D.

This is why a 64 bit version of P3D doesn't interest me much. Specially if it costs 200 bucks again but even if it costs less, I just don't feel like investing in old tech anymore. I also never liked the idea of sort of 'being allowed' to use a product which isn't primarily meant for me, but that's not a reason for the move. This means I will be missing out on some very cool addons but that's okay with me. I expect a lot more FSX/P3D users to move to XP11. Now is the time.

I'm loving X-Plane 11!

I haven't made a P3D flight since buying the Beta, and I own a TON of Orbx scenery. I haven't uninstalled P3D yet, but it's days are likely numbered. The only thing that I really miss are the seasonal textures, since I live in fly in a mountainous region, were winters are long and the weather is brutal.

As a small GA flyer, I just find that X-Plane (finally!) gives me a better feeling of flight, and it's sim world feels a lot more realistic (at least in northern New England, where I do most of my flying). I HATE flying over baked in scenery, where there are roads and rooftop images under so much of the 3D rendered scenery.

I'm holding off adding any addons until after the non-beta version is released, and then I'll likely make X-Enviro my first purchase, as the default clouds really detracts from the sim in a big way. We also need a really good ATC for this sim (but I have hope that a couple of 3rd-party addons will eventually give us this).

+1

I also wanted to hold off buying addons during beta but I am afraid I can't keep that promise... ;) XP really needs X-Enviro. And there is a freeware ATC addon that seems to be pretty good, although I am not sure if it is IFR only or not: there should be a link to it on this forum somewhere. Haven't tried it myself yet but I certainly will sometime soon.

EDIT
Here it is: http://124thatc.matacchieri.eu

EDIT 2

Tried that ATC plugin: it kinda works but it wouldn't regocnize my destination and it told me to go to runway 16 on my departure airport but there only was a runway 14... after that ATC stayed utterly silent. It is a bit basic... Only IFR too and it doesn't take terrain into account. Well, it is free, of course, but for now I will fly on without ATC. :wink:

I've hangered FSX with DX10 addon for now to make room for XP11 on my drive. Also invested in X-enviro and some DD scenery. I'm impressed with XP11 and it shows great promise, but the lack of hi fidelity aircraft addons is a huge sticking point. So P3D is still my main sim for the time being. That said, I'm enjoying XP11 for what it is and probably spending half my simming time with it.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)