Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Making The XP Move

I've hangered FSX with DX10 addon for now to make room for XP11 on my drive. Also invested in X-enviro and some DD scenery. I'm impressed with XP11 and it shows great promise, but the lack of hi fidelity aircraft addons is a huge sticking point. So P3D is still my main sim for the time being. That said, I'm enjoying XP11 for what it is and probably spending half my simming time with it.

I'm still flying FSX SP2 mainly because I enjoy flying business jets (particularly the C750), and it appears Xplane doesn't offer a lot in that area. Also, XPlane 11 currently kills my system if I don't turn down the sliders. I need a new gpu, but I'm not willing to invest $400+ on one yet.

That being said, I flew from KACK to KOSU last night in FSX, then I loaded up XP 11 and flew the same approach and landing in the Cessna 172. Flying in the snow and 14kt headwind was definitely more realistic in XP11 than FSX. However, once I landed, I had to deal with the weathervaning as I tried to taxi to parking, and that was a headache.

FSX Gold SP2 (FSGen + GEX + UTX + REX) --- XP10 / XP11 --- MSFS 2020

Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz / 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo / MFG Crosswind v3

I deleted p3d and honestly dont miss it much other than the majestic dash 8 , which is my favorite plane. However, the saab 340 is just as impressive for me and honestly inside the xp world its exceeded the dash 8. this isnt a bash on p3d I was one of the first people to move from fsx to p3d when there was nothing on that platform, but I think theyve take it almost as far as it can go. 64 bit wont solve a plethora of issues it has with the origional code. It was a great platoform but I think xp is much more flexible and the amount of high quality freeware or donateware is amazing, so you dont need to spend a ton to use xp.  I did buy the NYC airports and NY by DD. The Ixeg 737 classic is nearly on par with the pmdg 737ng.  I love XP and i do hope lockheed can take p3d to the next level but for now its not arrived and xp11 has....

I am really missing my Saab 340 by LES.  :wub:  It's the only reason I regret deleting XP 10. I know that there's a planned update, but it can't come soon enough.

The more simmers come over to the dark side, the more voices we have to clamor for seasonal textures and better looking weather. It's gonna take devs and buyers to make it happen. Right now XP 11 is pretty good.

• Upvote 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

XP11 is, IMO, far better than XP10.  It seems Laminar took some huge leaps with their programming. I hope it pays off them as the more popular it becomes, then the more addons we're likely to see.

One thing that seriously bugs me though, is the XP.org download site.  Folk who upload stuff there, ESPECIALLY scenery, make an assumption that everyone knows how it works.  Personally, I find it enormously frustrating, that after downloading and installing say an airport, that it does nothing but bring up a whole bunch of XP error messages.  That's because the uploader failed to explain that the airport will ONLY work, if another bunch of library addons have also been installed.  Sometimes there's not even a readme, detailing exactly which libraries are needed. Grrrrrr.....

I'm still flying FSX SP2 mainly because I enjoy flying business jets (particularly the C750), and it appears Xplane doesn't offer a lot in that area. Also, XPlane 11 currently kills my system if I don't turn down the sliders. I need a new gpu, but I'm not willing to invest $400+ on one yet.

That being said, I flew from KACK to KOSU last night in FSX, then I loaded up XP 11 and flew the same approach and landing in the Cessna 172. Flying in the snow and 14kt headwind was definitely more realistic in XP11 than FSX. However, once I landed, I had to deal with the weathervaning as I tried to taxi to parking, and that was a headache.

The DDENN challenger jet is very good quality - with the new beta FMS you can do online flight. It's obviously slower than the X (MMO .82)

Try to find it on a sale

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am really missing my Saab 340 by LES.  :wub:  It's the only reason I regret deleting XP 10. I know that there's a planned update, but it can't come soon enough.

The more simmers come over to the dark side, the more voices we have to clamor for seasonal textures and better looking weather. It's gonna take devs and buyers to make it happen. Right now XP 11 is pretty good.

it works in xp11... i havnt noticed any issues other than the click spots have squares around them... 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

The DDENN challenger jet is very good quality - with the new beta FMS you can do online flight. It's obviously slower than the X (MMO .82)

Try to find it on a sale

I've been flying the CRJ-200 all over the world.

Do you have this plane and what are your thoughts?

One thing that seriously bugs me though, is the XP.org download site. Folk who upload stuff there, ESPECIALLY scenery, make an assumption that everyone knows how it works. Personally, I find it enormously frustrating, that after downloading and installing say an airport, that it does nothing but bring up a whole bunch of XP error messages. That's because the uploader failed to explain that the airport will ONLY work, if another bunch of library addons have also been installed. Sometimes there's not even a readme, detailing exactly which libraries are needed. Grrrrrr.....

Been there... However, the page where you download the addon from usually always tells you which libraries are needed. There also is an installer on .org which installs a large amount of libraries after which you only have to manually add two or three and you are done 'forever'. I chose the manual way of doing it all myself though (I like to be in control): right now I have 14 libraries installed and it's been a while since I needed to install another one. So it is a chore in the beginning indeed but at a certain moment you will have all main libraries installed and live will get easier.

What I do still find slightly annoying right now is that you never know if an airport has good scenery or not... Some parts of the default XP world have a lot of airports with 3D but a lot are very flat. There IS, also on .org, a freeware addon that puts buildings on 24.000 airports so that IS an easy option but I don't have it installed because it is all very generic. I rather use handmade airports that actually look like the real deal. I fly in Norway a lot and someone called tdg has made a lot of airports for it which are all very good and quite realistic: maybe you can find a specific airport creator for your country.

All in all it does take some effort to get into it (also how the Custom Scenery folder works!) but you will be used to it in no time... :wink:

it works in xp11... i havnt noticed any issues other than the click spots have squares around them... 

Cool! I'm only waiting because I don't want to deal with any issues. There's currently no support for xp 11.

You do know that you can disable the clickable spots by going to the menu --> general--> under flight model untick show clickable regions in cockpit.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Been there... However, the page where you download the addon from usually always tells you which libraries are needed. There also is an installer on .org which installs a large amount of libraries after which you only have to manually add two or three and you are done 'forever'. I chose the manual way of doing it all myself though (I like to be in control): right now I have 14 libraries installed and it's been a while since I needed to install another one. So it is a chore in the beginning indeed but at a certain moment you will have all main libraries installed and live will get easier.

What I do still find slightly annoying right now is that you never know if an airport has good scenery or not... Some parts of the default XP world have a lot of airports with 3D but a lot are very flat. There IS, also on .org, a freeware addon that puts buildings on 24.000 airports so that IS an easy option but I don't have it installed because it is all very generic. I rather use handmade airports that actually look like the real deal. I fly in Norway a lot and someone called tdg has made a lot of airports for it which are all very good and quite realistic: maybe you can find a specific airport creator for your country.

All in all it does take some effort to get into it (also how the Custom Scenery folder works!) but you will be used to it in no time... :wink:

Oh poo!  Can't do anything there now for 24hrs.  The site has just told me that I've downloaded 50 files today, and that i'll now have to wait a day to download any more.  I certainly haven't downloaded 50 files, but I DO use a download manager, so I'm guessing it counts each part its downloading.  Just started downloading the library files. That sucks big time:-(

You do know that you can disable the clickable spots by going to the menu --> general--> under flight model untick show clickable regions in cockpit.

So if I install I can disable the squares? TKS

Oh poo! Can't do anything there now for 24hrs. The site has just told me that I've downloaded 50 files today, and that i'll now have to wait a day to download any more. I certainly haven't downloaded 50 files, but I DO use a download manager, so I'm guessing it counts each part its downloading. Just started downloading the library files. That sucks big time:-(

You do know that there is a master library file (including most of libraries) except the ones listed in this pack which you still have to download individually.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30252-x-plane-library-installer/

So if I install I can disable the squares? TKS

I do not have this plane but i faced this issue in another plane and its possible to disable these squares as described.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

With X-Plane 11 can I click on a dial (i.e. heading) and roll my mouse wheel up or down to turn the dial like with P3D? Or do I have to do the thing where you click on the dial and then drag it all the way across the screen left or right? May be it is payware aircraft specific??

You do know that there is a master library file (including most of libraries) except the ones listed in this pack which you still have to download individually.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30252-x-plane-library-installer/

I didn't know that - thank you very much.

Alas, it seems the folk over there are not quite as proactive on the 'help' front as here;-)

Oh poo!  Can't do anything there now for 24hrs.  The site has just told me that I've downloaded 50 files today, and that i'll now have to wait a day to download any more.  I certainly haven't downloaded 50 files, but I DO use a download manager, so I'm guessing it counts each part its downloading.  Just started downloading the library files. That sucks big time:-(

You can also check out Aersoft or X-Pilot for freeware,

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/files/

http://forums.x-pilot.com/files/

I also still have P3D installed but haven't fired it up since my last oom :).