Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel Teles

Freeware military aircraft for FSX SP2

Hi, folks,

Simple question: is there any freeware military aircraft that doesn't needs the Acceleration Pack in order to work?

I've been interested in military jets lately, but most of them don't work properly without Acceleration... and my FSX is the old "Deluxe" version.

I don't even need carrier ops. capabilities (for which the Accel. pack would be necessary, I think). Just want to fly a bit something other than normal jets...

I actually have FSX:SE, which includes Accel. pack if I recall correctly, but I'm not willing to install it as I already have a FSX installation here...

Thanks for any input!

Best regards,

You can install FSX:SE side-by-side with your existing FSX Standard without any problems.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You can install FSX:SE side-by-side with your existing FSX Standard without any problems.

Hello, Bill, thanks!

Honestly, I'm just afraid that FSX:SE will mess up a bit with registrations in Windows. I remember seeing some problems with PMDG installers related to this...

Not sure, though. It's a vague memory and I may very well be wrong. :P

Those few problems that have occurred have been traced back to EOM (extreme operator malfunction). I've had FSX/A and FSX:SE installed since SE was released and have had zero issues with the Registry entries.

In any case, there are many freeware military jets available, but since I spend 90+% of my time developing for Milviz, I don't really have any real knowledge or experience with freeware any longer. I'll let those who do have such experience advise you. :hi:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

Those few problems that have occurred have been traced back to EOM (extreme operator malfunction). I've had FSX/A and FSX:SE installed since SE was released and have had zero issues with the Registry entries.

In any case, there are many freeware military jets available, but since I spend 90+% of my time developing for Milviz, I don't really have any real knowledge or experience with freeware any longer. I'll let those who do have such experience advise you. :hi:

Nah, actually your post encouraged me a lot to just install the Steam Edition after all.

I think I'll give it a go, but I'll keep the initial question opened in case someone has the same doubt...

(And I'm still curious, honestly, haha).

Thanks a lot!

There are many freeware military aircraft available without the need for Acceleration.

It would be mostly the ones using gauges for the default F-18 that would require it. I

have many jets and WWII props that I fly with FSX with SP2. Any exact models you

are looking for?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

There are many freeware military aircraft available without the need for Acceleration.

It would be mostly the ones using gauges for the default F-18 that would require it. I

have many jets and WWII props that I fly with FSX with SP2. Any exact models you

are looking for?

Hi, Charlie, thanks!

Nothing specific in mind... I'm a total noob in this subject, I'm afraid. Kinda getting started.

I was looking for a modern american jet. Could be the F/A-18 itself, F-22, F-35...

There are some great F-18s out there along with F-22/35s that I have test flown.

Some of them say for Acceleration but fly nicely with SP2. Some of the Dino Catteano

Freeware aircraft, like the F-35, F-14, and S-3 all fly fantasticly but come with the

caveat that it "may" crash to desktop.

If I was on my home computer I could post some links to these aircraft but just

doing a Google search should suffice.

I use AICarriers and can land many of these aircraft on the flightdeck. Just no CAT shots.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Shameless plug.

https://sites.google.com/site/shess0757/home/AS-F111-Panel

Has options specifically for SP2.

If I wasn't busy with other projects, I would have long run the visual models through ModelConverterX to make them FSX native. One of the best free military aircraft out there, especially due to the working terrain following.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hello, Bill, thanks!

Honestly, I'm just afraid that FSX:SE will mess up a bit with registrations in Windows. I remember seeing some problems with PMDG installers related to this...

Not sure, though. It's a vague memory and I may very well be wrong. :P

Create a Dual Boot and install the FSX SE on the 2nd partition ... Easy and it works .. I use it with LM P3D

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

but most of them don't work properly without Acceleration

SP2 is the freeware version of Acceleration.  If you do not have Acceleration, install SP1 and SP2 to FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

There are some great F-18s out there along with F-22/35s that I have test flown.

Some of them say for Acceleration but fly nicely with SP2. Some of the Dino Catteano

Freeware aircraft, like the F-35, F-14, and S-3 all fly fantasticly but come with the

caveat that it "may" crash to desktop.

If I was on my home computer I could post some links to these aircraft but just

doing a Google search should suffice.

I use AICarriers and can land many of these aircraft on the flightdeck. Just no CAT shots.

Charlie, I tested the F-35 from Dino and it's amazing. Thank you very much! The only issue I'm having with it is that TrackIR isn't working on its virtual cockpit. Gotta investigate a bit further the problem.

Thanks!

Shameless plug.

https://sites.google.com/site/shess0757/home/AS-F111-Panel

Has options specifically for SP2.

Hi Roman,

thank you very much! I'm pretty excited to try it.

I'm starting to realize I was ignoring a whole world in flight simming by only flying airliners...

If I wasn't busy with other projects, I would have long run the visual models through ModelConverterX to make them FSX native. One of the best free military aircraft out there, especially due to the working terrain following.

I've seen some videos of that. Incredible stuff.

Create a Dual Boot and install the FSX SE on the 2nd partition ... Easy and it works .. I use it with LM P3D

That's a good idea. I may try it... but first I'll test the two sims "together". Did a little research and there's a lot of people with two "FSX" after all. It isn't something uncommon, it seems.

Thanks!

SP2 is the freeware version of Acceleration.  If you do not have Acceleration, install SP1 and SP2 to FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim!

I have SP2 installed. It seems, however, that some military aircrafts use some default gauges that only comes with the additional aircrafts from Acceleration pack. I had some issues with missing gauges in a freeware F/A-18 that I installed here -- because its panel was relying on gauges from the F/A-18 that comes with the pack, which I don't have.

If I'm not mistaken, the Accel. pack also introduces codes for carrier operations that aren't possible in FSX SP2. I'm not totally sure about this, though.

Best regards!

Carrier Ops are doable. TRAPS only, no way to setup CAT shots.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Gabriel, no it is not uncommon at all! DTG quite deliberately designed FSX Steam Edition to be installed side-by-side with an already existing FSX (box) version.

The only time anyone has ever had a problem is if they try to remove FSX (box) and do not follow instructions carefully by manually removing all traces of FSX (box) from their computer's Registry before installing FSX:SE. :fool:

One of the major benefits of using Steam is that any updates or fixes are immediately pushed automatically to the user's installation, as long as there is an active internet connection. Of course, if the user chooses to run "offline" then this automatic update won't occur until they connect to Steam again.

Keep in mind that FSX:SE is the full "Acceleration" version.

Fr. Bill