Sign in to follow this  
smokeyupahead

About the recently released alternative darker cockpit textures

Hi guys, I can't seam to find them anywhere now, they were 3rd party, for the ngx, and I tought they were really nicely done.

Thank you in advance,

David DD

David,

Unfortunately when you violate our EULA, we just have to toss you to the legal folks and let the chips fall where they may.

Smart people reach out to us for permission...

Be a smart person.  :hi:

• Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Pardon my ignorance, but what has he done that is wrong/illegal?

I know EULAs are boring, but they should definitely be read, particularly when you're doing anything that is publicly seen.

Excerpts from the EULA applicable to this issue:

i) You may not alter, reverse engineer or otherwise modify any portion of this software except as described in this license.

[...]

l) You may produce user-made liveries using your original artwork and/or using tools provided by PMDG specifically for this purpose.  You may alter certain files contained in this program as necessary to activate user-created liveries with this software.

m) You may redistribute royalty-free, distribution fee-free and at no cost any user-created liveries for use with this software, but you may not prevent free, unfettered public access to those livery files through the use of membership, restricted login or other barrier devices that require a fee, cost or charge in order to obtain membership and access, nor may you encode the livery into a password protected file or use an installation method other than the one specifically provided by PMDG for the purpose of installing user created liveries.

Note the exception for liveries, but nothing else.

Apart from the EULA issue, some of these texture packs end up screwing other things up because they're not done properly. This then becomes an issue for us because people will install them, find that something is out of sorts, and come to us instead of the person who designed the modification.

Kyle Rodgers

David,

Unfortunately when you violate our EULA, we just have to toss you to the legal folks and let the chips fall where they may.

Smart people reach out to us for permission...

Be a smart person.  :hi:

If I understood the OP correctly, he didn't state that he was developing or distributing these so called "alternative darker cockpit textures", nor did he explicitly stated that he had actually used or installed them. He was merely making an inquiry as to where he could find them. This, in and of itself, is not in violation of the EULA as written. There is nothing in his statement or post that would lead a reasonable person to conclude or permissibly infer that he was guilty of "alter, reverse engineer or otherwise modify any portion of this software".

-----

Bo Chen

• Upvote 1

If I understood the OP correctly, he didn't state that he was developing or distributing these so called "alternative darker cockpit textures", nor did he explicitly stated that he had actually used or installed them. He was merely making an inquiry as to where he could find them. This, in and of itself, is not in violation of the EULA as written. There is nothing in his statement or post that would lead a reasonable person to conclude or permissibly infer that he was guilty of "alter, reverse engineer or otherwise modify any portion of this software".

I think we're on the same page here. It's clear the OP is looking for replacement textures. Those textures are likely gone, however, because of the aforementioned reasons.

'You' was used in a hypothetical context: "When someone violates the EULA [...] ."

Kyle Rodgers

I think we're on the same page here. It's clear the OP is looking for replacement textures. Those textures are likely gone, however, because of the aforementioned reasons.

'You' was used in a hypothetical context: "When someone violates the EULA [...] ."

Yes, you are correct. Its about to be midnight and I was getting edgy waiting for 2017. I apologize.

-----

Bo Chen

Yes, you are correct. Its about to be midnight and I was getting edgy waiting for 2017. I apologize.

No need to apologize. Happy new year.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, do you ever take a break from these forums? :smile: Thanks for all your input the past year. And "Happy New Year" to all!

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Kyle, do you ever take a break from these forums? :smile: Thanks for all your input the past year. And "Happy New Year" to all!

Sometimes - haha. At the moment, I'm hopping between my projects, my other project, the forum, and kinda just having a night in to relax post family time and other holiday festivities.

Kyle Rodgers