Sign in to follow this  
r_stopnicki

Video of B744 flight LEMD-ETNL

Hello to all:

Just stumbled upon this video.

Great detailed flight of a WAMOS AIR (Callsign PULLMAN) B744 between Madrid (LEMD) and Rostock-Laage (ETNL)

An obviously older aircraft, configured for 529 passengers! I counted 20 flight attendants going up the ladder!

The video is a bit over one hour long with some superfluous information (good looking meals, crew rest areas, etc.) but the multi-camera video in the cockpit is very good.

At times, the FO appears to be a bit overwhelmed.

Landing on a relatively short runway, with very narrow taxiways and parked off-apron in a very tight spot.

Enjoy!

(Found it on line and I hope I am not breaking any rules)

Happy New Year!

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Very good video, noticed that small delay between TO/GA engagement and actual lever movement that was talked on here a couple weeks back.

Interesting he didn't stow the reversers until well below 60kts and he seemed to pull them fully back as soon as the mains where down.

Felipe Vicini

Great video.  Don't think the FO is overwhelmed at all, just intense focus, concentration and purposeful with her movements and responses.  Probably also seems that way since the Captain is a seasoned veteran.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Great video.  Don't think the FO is overwhelmed at all, just intense focus, concentration and purposeful with her movements and responses.  Probably also seems that way since the Captain is a seasoned veteran.

Yes definitely not overwhelmed, maybe a little stage fright because of the cameras.

Felipe Vicini

• Upvote 1

FO not overwhelmed =2

FO overwhelmed = 1

I'll take the loss!!  :smile:

She is certainly focussed!

Felipe, I also noticed that the reversers were not stowed for a while and I thought that it might have had to do with the relatively short runway.

And the fact that the "Follow Me" car disappears at the tightest turning point, with no marshall in sight to park them, was amusing (not to the crew!)

It is already "next year" along the Pacific!

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Roberto, Dilan, Filipe,

I had this video on as background while doing some debugging of the flap controller yesterday afternoon.  I wound up sharing it with the other members of the team who were also working, and I observed to them almost precisely the opposite of your observations.

To me the captain seems a bit of a nervous nelli... and the FO seems to be incredibly competent, if not a bit stymied by her captain's continual need to repeat himself, clarify already discussed topics, and talk over her responses.

If I were to choose which of the two of them to fly with- I would prefer her to him...  Something tells me she knows that airplane and her procedures inside out...

The crew observations aside- I'd like to find whomever developed the procedures for WAMOS, take them out behind the woodshed and beat them severely with a spiked club.  Too much talking.  Too many callouts.  Too much "check" "confirm" and mode callouts... 

I'd bet I can tell you which country their standards/director of training hails from just based upon watching their procedures.

(Dang I have been in this industry too long when i start saying stuff like that.  LOL!)

• Upvote 4

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

To me the captain seems a bit of a nervous nelli... and the FO seems to be incredibly competent, if not a bit stymied by her captain's continual need to repeat himself, clarify already discussed topics, and talk over her responses.

If I were to choose which of the two of them to fly with- I would prefer her to him...  Something tells me she knows that airplane and her procedures inside out...

The crew observations aside- I'd like to find whomever developed the procedures for WAMOS, take them out behind the woodshed and beat them severely with a spiked club.  Too much talking.  Too many callouts.  Too much "check" "confirm" and mode callouts... 

I agree about the Captain Robert, though again I think part of it might be because the cameras are rolling. We tend to change our behavior (even if slightly) when being watched lol. And about the WAMOS procedures I completely agree! It seemed like everything that was said was checked and cross-checked.

Felipe Vicini

• Upvote 1

To me the captain seems a bit of a nervous nelli...

One would hope note with those Check Captain stars on his shoulders :Tounge:

Too many rules, but not so many for health... e.g. Not wearing ear protection during walkarounds.

I'm also worried about that camera taped just behind the whiskey compass (possibly affecting compass headings) and the one directly in front of the F/O (a nice target to aim for during heaving braking and turbulence). Man's desire for information and self promotion has put cameras where they shouldn't be.

There was quite a bit of information in that video for the airline configuration guys. I wonder if the experts picked up these:

Electric-driven hydraulic demand pumps on inboard engines

Manual Anti-Ice (with single ice detector)

No Tyre Pressure Indication System

1 VHF antenna on top of the fuselage (not including the VHF/UHF ELT antenna near the tail)

Large satcom antenna

Old Type RCPs (buttons with integral lights)

RMI

A/B switch on pedestal (I don't know what that other panel was, forward of the trim panel. Satcom-related?)

Cabin video system from dinosaur age (with overhead 3 gun projectors) :Tounge:

No APU TRU start.

500', presumably non-smart Rad Alt callout.

I won't mention the more obvious ones :wink:

Cheers

John H Watson

P.S. I see they tested the Predictive Windshear system during taxy

• Upvote 1

There was quite a bit of information in that video for the airline configuration guys.

Indeed John, ex SQ 9V-SMZ 747-419 & formerly of Pullmantur.

You may have pressed an oily rag to her more than one on her travels I'd imagine?  She wore the SQ 50th Anniversary Livery during that period.  I was surprised to see the prehistoric OHP style projector fitted in the cabin, I guess this was a retrofit after release from SQ service - I don't remember seeing them fitted to the SQ fleet during the last few years of service during my travels to/from the old country but I could be wrong.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

I don't think so. I think is the opposite, in order to be sure everything is well understood.  Keep in mind that they are making an effort to speak in English between them, when they usually do it in Spanish, in fact you can observe at 59:29, how the FO informs the captain about the wind (dos tres cero de la izquierda a 8 nudos = two three zero from the left 8 knots), and she immediately realizes that should not say it in Spanish but in english, and shaking her head, repeating it in English. I mean that one can be a good pilot but perhaps they does not take well to be filmed from various angles throughout the entire flight and having to change their communication routine all of the time.

Leaving aside the fact of landing a 744 with more than 500 people on board, on a rather short runway. In fact I read in a reduced version of this video that is the third time that a plane of that dimensions lands in that airport, the other two were the Air Force One and other Wamos Air 747:

Watch Captain Victoriano and First Officer Barbara during a perfect landing with 525 passengers aboard on tiny Rostock-Laage airport with a runway of only 2.500 meters length. This flight is coming from Madrid bringing cruise ship passengers for their vacation. This landing marks the third ever landing of a 747 in Rostock after Air Force One and another Wamos Air Boeing 747 two weeks earlier. The regular apron of this regional airport and especially the taxiways are too small/ narrow, so that the giant needs to park on the military airfield on the opposite side. Thanks to Victoriano, Barbara, Hugo and Enrique for this remarkable piece of Boeing 747 utilization and for allowing us to capture this moment for all AirClips viewers

Happy New Year 2017!!!

• Upvote 1

Gerard Cabezón
Check my Youtube's Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Gerardius

Half the problem is the captain is well aware of how much criticism he well get from the arm chair pilot brigade (and his boss) should ge fail to get a sinlge thing right, so he covers and re covers his A$%.

Maybe every flight should be filmed, and saved to the flight recorder, that would maybe make more pilots more attentive, and reduce the number of human factor incidents...

​That's for another thread.

​Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.

​Liam Reynolds

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

Indeed John, ex SQ 9V-SMZ 747-419 & formerly of Pullmantur.

Interesting. It probably still has the enhanced hydraulic system display (showing the systems affected by the loss of hydraulics). It's surprising where some of Singapore's old aircraft have ended up (even as far as Fiji in the South Pacific).

I was surprised to see the prehistoric OHP style projector fitted in the cabin, I guess this was a retrofit after release from SQ service - I don't remember seeing them fitted to the SQ fleet during the last few years of service during my travels

Looking through an old Singapore Airlines maintenance manual (dated 1998 in some parts), it does show the old style projector system. Now, I'd be surprised if there any engineers in the industry still able to install and align them (more an art form than following a step-by-step manual)

You may have pressed an oily rag to her more than one on her travels I'd imagine?

Possibly, Steve. Back in those days, we were allowed to use recycled rags. Nowadays they insist on some kind of lint free, hypoallergenic*, user-unfriendly material. Actually, now that I think of it, I was probably only doing Radio/Instrument work in those days, so probably no oil rags, but Sanicom wipes and jewellers' screwdrivers :Tounge:  (and only using rags to remove the oily fingermarks of engineers in the other trades). 

* (tongue in cheek)

How times have changed (for some airlines).

Cheers

John H Watson