Sign in to follow this  
themadspaniel

FSX-SE crashes when returning from ESC menu

Hi all

Quite a noob to FSX but liking what I've seen so far.  Couple of things have cropped up and I'm working a process of elimation to figure them out.

One thing which has started happening recently is that each time I check the flight status via the escape menu, the sim freezes and returns to Windows10 when I try to get back to the cockpit.

I suspect this may be caused by an add on as I've put one or two in and when running vanilla never had the issue.

System:

AMD A10 6790K @4GHZ

8GB RAM

GeForce GTX 750

Windows 10

ORBX England

UTX (turned off at the moment)

I also downloaded a Boing 747-400 mega pack (from Rikoo I think, it was a while ago) and I want to remove this, but cannot find the aircraft where I'd expect to see them in the SimObjects>>>Airplanes folder.  This is just containing the default craft, despite my airplane list being full of 747's!

Any help appreciated on these points, thanks in advance.

If you are new to FSX and using Windows 7 you need UIAutomationCore.dll in the FSX root folder. I'm unsure whether this is still the case with Windows 10. This prevents crashes when using the menu in FSX. Check if it's there, probably not. If that is the case you can download it from here: http://www.search-dll.com/dll-files/download/uiautomationcore.dll.html

For you own peace of mind, I also suggest you do a search and have a read about it: UIAutomationCore.dll  and whether it is still pertinent with Windows 10. I suspect it may well be. Cheers

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi there

Thanks for the help Rockliffe - have taken a look and it seems that the uiautomationcore.dll was installed automatically from Steam - jolly nice of them I say!

Are there any other ways to track errors?  Crash logs or something like that?

Thanks

Hi there

Thanks for the help Rockliffe - have taken a look and it seems that the uiautomationcore.dll was installed automatically from Steam - jolly nice of them I say!

Are there any other ways to track errors?  Crash logs or something like that?

Thanks

Check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature).  It appears you have figured out the cause (an addon).  I just tried to replicate using ASN, ProATC-X, RealAir aircraft, commercial scenery and the feature worked without any issues.  This was with the boxed version of FSX/Acceleration as I do not own the Steam version.  You should check out the AVSIM CTD Guide and take a look at the procedure for checking the Event Viewer starting on page 7.  Look for an event belonging to FSX-SE and see if there is a faulting module.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for all your help.  Haven't been able to find any specifics in log files etc, but I did notice that when returning to the flight from the escape menu, the windows were showing the flight seat texture, rather than the sky!  In addition, the red text I always show (CTRL+Z) was corrupt.

I disabled 3D cockpit and went for low res 2D instead and for now, this looks to have fixed things.  I also unticked AddOn scenery in the settings menu, will add that back and see what happens.

The UIAutomationCore.dll filke that ships with FSX-SE, is said to be the wrong version, as confirmed by Jim. It was the first thing I changed after getting SE. The version that you need is here: http://www.search-dll.com/dll-files/download/uiautomationcore.dll.html

I suggest you try FSX without the file and also with. Make notes and see if it helps, it certainly helped me.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

My understanding is Dovetail Games modified/hacked the version of uiautomationcore.dll placed in their main FSX-SE directory and it is not either of the recommended versions.  I have never knowingly placed the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx directory and have never had any crashes.  The CTD Forum proves, beyond a reasonable doubt, the uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx folder does not prevent CTD's as there are hundreds of topics with AppCrashView posted by the individual who had a crash and the uiautomationcore.dll loaded successfully.  It is a placebo.  Not saying it does not fix crashes/freezes because the dll is part of the Microsoft.net package from the days when FSX was first developed.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Using the file I gave a link to, certainly stopped the menu crashes that I was continually experiencing in FSX. Now I have FSX-SE the jury is still out. But I did change it to the recommended file and not the one that ships with SE.

Howard

I had some menu freezes / CTD with FSX-SE and i changed to 16386 version, which i allways used. Freezes / CTD's stoped after that.

Jim, we know it's not going to fix all CTD's, there are many different causes. But will certainly fix freezes and crashes when using FSX menu, which i can reproduce at anytime.

My understanding is Dovetail Games modified/hacked the version of uiautomationcore.dll placed in their main FSX-SE directory and it is not either of the recommended versions

Do you have any link about this? I'm impressed with FSX-SE, and i am interested to learn more about what they did to fsx. This does not appear in changelog, but i've found many other improvements that are not published  :smile:

But will certainly fix freezes and crashes when using FSX menu, which i can reproduce at anytime.

I seriously doubt that but then I'm not at your computer.  If you can reproduce a crash by right clicking on your panel at least 19 times (and why would you do that) and selecting a menu item each time, that would be a miracle.  Even computer experts (of which I am not one) agree it is all pretty far fetched.  But, if you say you can reproduce it anytime, then I cannot discount that.  No one else can.  In fact, those who have the uiautomationcore.dll in their main folder and suffer a CTD, say the ntdll.dll ctd, have fixed their problem by removing the uiautomationcore.dll from their main folder.  But we have gone through all of this before a long, long time ago....

Good to see you back Zeljko.  Haven't seen you posting for some time.

Happy New Year!

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Twice in a few minutes I could demonstrate the common problem; my result with Win10Anni/64 regular uiautomationcore.dll, DX10, stock FSX Gold. Just idling on the ramp a couple of minutes after changing to daytime, going to 2D view in the BE58 DX10 and wafting the mouse over some controls to invoke the tooltip and bang!

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825700e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00056ca7

Faulting process ID: 0x38dc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d263cf4ccdcf9b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\uiautomationcore.dll

Report ID: 423b8a31-2f63-435c-9d7e-c30420b97f8d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

And tried again with the same sequence, within two minutes later:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825700e

Fault offset: 0x00056ca7

Faulting process ID: 0x2c94

Faulting application start time: 0x01d263d14f8cc1d2

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Report ID: 17c097a3-2a04-4133-81a2-4c1de9b6531d

Within five minutes I had two uiautomationcore.dll CTDs on Windows 10Anni/64.

Back with dll version 386 in the \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ folder the systems simply do not fault.

If you get CTDs with that setup it’s something else, a bad call which changing uiautomationcore versions cannot cure, although that can averting the bad call and by avoiding using the system in the way I described will appear to work OK. By going to the original dll you risk the CTD, depending on the system and the way it’s used.

By the way FSX Gold still running no CTDs now :)

EDIT: By Stock I mean no addons at all not even a Saitek panel, just FSX out of the box on a regular Win10 system

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

…Yeah but what about FSX Steam?

Didn’t take too long to set up FSX:SE stock and remove the uiautomationcore.dll provided, only to get a CTD within two minutes:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Fault offset: 0x00056ca9

Faulting process ID: 0x3158

Faulting application start time: 0x01d263d6ebb36c60

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Report ID: ca99ffab-4a6b-474d-b474-50c3a594d062

Placing the 386 version dll into the steamapps\common\FSX\ folder stopped that CTD completely. Well of course it did! It’s more or less a regular copy of FSX Gold.

So what of the uiautomationcore.dll DTG provided within the stock steamapps\common\FSX\ folder? It’s their shipping of the 386 version with their own stamp, obviously. EDIT: It's a little smaller, newer compiler and so on, but basically the same cured the CTDs. P3D v2/3 unaffected.

Good to see you back Zeljko.  Haven't seen you posting for some time.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!  :smile:

So what of the uiautomationcore.dll DTG provided within the stock steamapps\common\FSX\ folder? It’s their shipping of the 386 version with their own stamp, obviously. EDIT: It's a little smaller, newer compiler and so on, but basically the same cured the CTDs

Hi Steve, Steam version is not 16386, it's 18000 and i can't see any modification by DTG. 18000 is not digitaly signed, maybe is smaller becouse of that. Not sure, but i belive they have different permisions settings too. 18000 never worked well for me. With Steam, i had some crashes until i replaced it with 16386. I learned recently that Uiautomationcore.dll downloaded from some sources can be blocked by default windows security settings, which would explain why it doesn't work for some people. When i choosed "properties", there was a line saying something like - "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer".

I like many fixes by DTG in Steam edition, the only thing i don't like is that my FSX SP2 had just a bit better fps / smoothness. Probably becouse they used acceleration pack, SP2 performance was allways a bit better then acceleration for me. Maybe you know more about, there are some differences between SP2 and ACC with coding, simconnect, autogen, atmosphere. 

Thanks for that tooltip thing, i was sure some things other then using fsx menu can cause this.

Hi Steve, Steam version is not 16386,

So where did I say that then? Read my posts properly guys - it is what it is...

happy new year!

Thanks for that tooltip thing, i was sure some things other then using fsx menu can cause this.

You're welcome. The dll contains code that deals with the rectangles the mouse is in.

It’s their shipping of the 386 version with their own stamp, obviously

:smile: