Sign in to follow this  
themadspaniel

FSX-SE crashes when returning from ESC menu

Why the spin? I'm saying it provides the same "compatible" functionality - obviously.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

With every version of FSX including Steam Edition, pressing the Escape key took me to the desktop, every time. It's supposed to! It's how you get out of FSX safely; It takes you to the desktop view, if you waite a few secods it generates a new dialog box and asks if you really want to exit FSX.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you guy's are talking about?

Best

BaldyB

With every version of FSX including Steam Edition, pressing the Escape key took me to the desktop, every time.

It should take you to a popup that provides a flight analysis of your flight or allows you to exit FSX or allows you to continue your flight.  According to the FSX>Settings>Controls, the ESC key is assigned to the "End Flight" action.  Click OK to accept the End Flight action.  I believe the flight analysis, continue, exit options was added in Acceleration and the Standard and Deluxe version simply has a button to end the flight or cancel if you want to go back to FSX.

Googling Esc key FSX shows the crash is common with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 users.  Haven't found a solution yet and doubt I will.  However, I would recommend one make sure he has Microsoft Visual 2005 w/SP1 and Microsoft.net 2.2 installed (see page 25, AVSIM CTD Guide for guidance).

Best regards,

Jim 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It should take you to a popup that provides a flight analysis of your flight or allows you to exit FSX or allows you to continue your flight.  According to the FSX>Settings>Controls, the ESC key is assigned to the "End Flight" action.  Click OK to accept the End Flight action.  I believe the flight analysis, continue, exit options was added in Acceleration and the Standard and Deluxe version simply has a button to end the flight or cancel if you want to go back to FSX.

Googling Esc key FSX shows the crash is common with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 users.  Haven't found a solution yet and doubt I will.  However, I would recommend one make sure he has Microsoft Visual 2005 w/SP1 and Microsoft.net 2.2 installed (see page 25, AVSIM CTD Guide for guidance).

Best regards,

Jim 

What you describe is exactly what I see. I did leave out the analysis cancel lines.

Using PMDG's advice to not reload aircraft on top of one another I never tried to go in and out of FSX. Just use another machine for banking and so on, lucky me! On the rare occasions when I didn't have another machine I simply paused FSX with the <P> key if memory serves. I do not remember having any problems going back in with another key press. I did a clean install with FSX -SE on a new SSD and later installed the free Edition of Win 10. When I did the Install of FSX-SE I had to leave the machine. It downloaded and install itself into Program Files(x86). I was too busy to redo it into the root of mu bootable new SSD. So I left it their.  I did go into (Properties) as usual and set it to run on administrator, and did the usual exceptions regarding virus/malware apps. I found users often forget about the exceptions.

Windows 10. I do not understand from a technical aspect why many have so much trouble with Win 10. I have found WIN 10 TO BE MORE STABLE HAVE BETTER NETWORKING FEATURES THAN ANY OS TO DATE. Not yelling, damn caps key got in the way :P 

I purchased more copies. Never had 1 iota of trouble thru all the updates and installed the freebee a week after the deadline, still kicking? You can get rid of much fluff if you like.

FSX-SE folders on a clean install are renamed FSX, no-SE extension. The registry must have no key for FSX boxed w/ service packs present, or you will end up with a slow side by side install that only confuses your OS while the two conflict with one another and figure out who-is on first, like Abbot and Costello.

Best wises

BaldyB

Why the spin? I'm saying it provides the same "compatible" functionality - obviously.

Maybe i misunderstood your post, i was at my first coffee in 2017  :smile: Sorry, no offense intended. Happy New Year!

Steve, i'm thinking of trying your fixer and i have some questions for you, but i will make another thread for that in DX10 forum.

With every version of FSX including Steam Edition, pressing the Escape key took me to the desktop, every time

There is a FSX bug with complex addons when using ESC to end the flight. Something about unloading gauges. Just use CTRL+C instead of ESC when using PMDG, FSL etc

Maybe i misunderstood your post, i was at my first coffee in 2017  :smile: Sorry, no offense intended. Happy New Year!

No worries, just wanted to be sure we were on the same page. Even so, those dlls export the same basic set of functions so in fairness without splitting hairs they can be thought of as identical apart from the compatibility issue for FSX.

Steve, i'm thinking of trying your fixer and i have some questions for you, but i will make another thread for that in DX10 forum.

Wrong Steve.  You want SteveFx. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Wrong Steve.  You want SteveFx. 

Best regards,

Jim

You are right, thanks. I definitely need more sleep this days  :smile:

LOL.  Steve has his support forum here on AVSIM so best you go directly to his forum and post your questions.  Steve does monitor the AVSIM's DX10 Forum though.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I had this when I first installed FSX-SE. I had it on my list of things to fix, but it went away on it's own before I started looking into it. I have no idea which one it was, but I think a Win 10 update fixed it. I wish I knew because this same issue pops up in the Steam community all the time and I have no idea what to tell people. I did NOT have to do anything with FSX or it's files. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

It must be inherent to the Steam Edition as it works perfectly for me with FSX/Acceleration boxed versions.  Of course, Windows 10 might not be giving you all of your permissions too as Microsoft is concerned an evil person will hack into your computer or send you a virus or malware so they are screening the people who have permissions.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

When I did the Install of FSX-SE I had to leave the machine. It downloaded and install itself into Program Files(x86).

Program Files is not an issue for FSX:SE since the folder provides full permissions to regular logged on Windows Users. We normally add the Modify permission to the Users group on the boxed FSX install folder to save worry about install location which cures all permissions issues for addons installed into that folder.

Another difference is the FSX:SE executable is set to Run as Admin since it interfaces with the Steam menu for including DLC addons so would normally read write those folders without full permissions anyway, problems come from addons not launched by FSX but launched from the User desktop or menu icons.

Also the \ProgramData folder in FSX:SE unlike boxed FSX does not provide full permissions for the Users group and so presents permissions problems in a completely different way to boxed FSX since the scenery config is stored there.

Add the Modify permission to the Users group on that folder to be sure it's not an addon updating a file in ProgramData.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX if FSX:SE is the only FSX installed or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE if you have both FSX versions installed.

Perhaps this information could help you guys?

Program Files is not an issue for FSX:SE since the folder provides full permissions to regular logged on Windows Users. We normally add the Modify permission to the Users group on the boxed FSX install folder to save worry about install location which cures all permissions issues for addons installed into that folder.

Another difference is the FSX:SE executable is set to Run as Admin since it interfaces with the Steam menu for including DLC addons so would normally read write those folders without full permissions anyway, problems come from addons not launched by FSX but launched from the User desktop or menu icons.

Also the \ProgramData folder in FSX:SE unlike boxed FSX does not provide full permissions for the Users group and so presents permissions problems in a completely different way to boxed FSX since the scenery config is stored there.

Add the Modify permission to the Users group on that folder to be sure it's not an addon updating a file in ProgramData.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX if FSX:SE is the only FSX installed or C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE if you have both FSX versions installed.

Perhaps this information could help you guys?

Good to know Steve! Thanks.

I took all the usual steps as I stated not knowing about the permissions granted with Steam.

I will say accident or not FSX-SE ran so well I was a bit taken back. I then did a little reading and found out about the VAS and memory handling, the recompile with a newer compiler and some optimization work. To be honest it runs much better on this old machine than the boxed or a side by side install.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the info!

BaldyB

You're welcome! Glad to hear it's working well for you. There's a lot of stuff can't be improved, adding two integers, pulling bytes off the hard disk and so on. There's still plenty that's been improved by the process you described, and it goes like the wind now, it's a nice well sorted package.