Sign in to follow this  
Meekg

ACARS Weather function

I hope I'm not raising an already covered topic, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything related in the forum.

I love how you modeled the acars wind uplink function in the 777 (and I suppose in the upcoming 747 too) and I've always been a bit surprised you did not venture into modeling the metar/taf weather request via acars.

At this point other products (at least one I know of) have implemented it, showing it is possible to do it (nothing is impossible for PMDG anyways).

Any plans to include more acars functionality (at least with regards to weather metars/taf requests) in future updates or future products?

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Mike

• Upvote 1

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

Yes with a CPDLC and ACARS compatible IVAO/VATSIM with a dispatch and... wait... for that, study and become an airline pilot :P

wait... for that, study and become an airline pilot :P

I did... many moons ago :wink:

While CPDLC and Airline Operation Communication functions would be a bit hard to implement (not impossible, but hard), ACARS weather request (METARs/TAFs) would be within reach of the actual tools and technology, I don't really see why not.

• Upvote 1

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

I did... many moons ago :wink:

While CPDLC and Airline Operation Communication functions would be a bit hard to implement (not impossible, but hard), ACARS weather request (METARs/TAFs) would be within reach of the actual tools and technology, I don't really see why not.

Not only that, its also trivial to implement. There are webservices for that

For example: https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/data?ids=kiad&format=raw&date=0&hours=0&taf=on

Juan Ramos

Why can't PMDG display the METAR / TAF Data from AS16 on the ACARS Screen on the flightdeck?

Greetings, Phil Tereny

If you have AS16, Ctrl+F11 will bring up their weather menu. I''m not sure they are interested in providing a very small fraction of ACARS functionality for something that is not needed.  On the other hand, a fully functional ACARS would be very nice but definitely in the realm of third party developers that want to simulate ARINC communications systems.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you have AS16, Ctrl+F11 will bring up their weather menu.

On the same line of thought, why having an integrated WX radar on the ND when you can look at it on AS or on a website?

I'm glad PMDG has been a bit more ambitious than that through the years :-)

I''m not sure they are interested in providing a very small fraction of ACARS functionality for something that is not needed.

They are already providing a small fraction of ACARS functionality with the WIND UPLINK, which could be arguably equally not needed. Nothing is really needed if not put to use.

They could make this small fraction less small with a relatively small effort.

Not only that, its also trivial to implement.

Sorry, I don't buy "it's hard to implement"... it is virtually the exact same function as the WIND UPLINK (just far less complex) and it has been done by at least one other developer.

I'll accept that if someone from the developing team explains why not.

Mike

Michele Galmozzi

devteam.gif

I'm sure I saw the METAR feature in the FMC in a preview video on YouTube, one from the 'PreviewThis' channel but could be mistaken!

I totally agree. I think this is doable and I think it would be a great to exercise a little more functionality in the ACARS system, even if it's a later date in an update.