Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

777 Cadet Training Program - Released!

I pay testament to PMDG for modelling this all in such exquisite detail,

That really is one of the take aways from this series.  The fact that a seasoned 777 Captain can talk through every single system and function/behavior as though he was referencing the real aircraft is an amazing accolade for PMDG.   Not only is Myron a brilliant teacher, but you really do gain a new appreciation for what PMDG have done with the 777. That $130 buys you alot of bang for your buck.

Indeed! While I was watching this, I actually felt, that $130 was a bargain, for this kind of simulation. The behavior is so close to the real thing, that even Myron, get's surprised (oh boy, was that a fun moment!)... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Indeed! While I was watching this, I actually felt, that $130 was a bargain, for this kind of simulation. The behavior is so close to the real thing, that even Myron, get's surprised (oh boy, was that a fun moment!)... 

Exactly what I was thinking. Myron is giving us a Type Rating sort of training, he thinking about the real metal, and the PMDG delivers even the little random quirks! 

I've had the 777 since release in FSX, then in P3D since release, but!

I bought this training program, and what I really got back was an amazing two products in one (A2S and PMDG). 

Santiago de Larminat

So true guys. And yet people whine about PMDG pricing. Imagine the work that goes into making it this realistic? It's cheap at twice the price really.  

It would cost you a small fortune to get trained by Myron in real life...   Oh but you are talking about PDMG's simulations.    

Yes.   To really appreciate the value of the PMDG 777 you need to spend another $39 (I think that's what I paid) for this training series.    

I am doing the flights in X-plane FF 777 first,  and then repeating them in FSX-SE PMDG 777.     Looks like you can use this course for both.   

OK back to Honolulu it is...

Yep, totally agree. Look upon it like buying a Ferrari and paying a little bit extra to have a driver show you how to burn it round the track  :smile:

Do you ever plan to sell boxed version of this on blu ray or 4k blu ray

I perfer vimeo streaming and downloading it directly, but as with the Aerowinx for the PMDG, if purchasing it as a gift for someone, a boxed version works much better.

Is the Cadet+ available for preorder or only the teaser is out by Jan 30th?

Do you ever plan to sell boxed version of this on blu ray or 4k blu ray

I perfer vimeo streaming and downloading it directly, but as with the Aerowinx for the PMDG, if purchasing it as a gift for someone, a boxed version works much better.

Is the Cadet+ available for preorder or only the teaser is out by Jan 30th?

No plans sadly for a boxed version. The costs are prohibitive as it would need to be burned to a blu ray which are expensive to produce on a small scale and then you're into shipping and nightmares at customs etc. We'd need to probably triple the price per unit to make it worthwhile. We may look at a physical gift card though, as that would be pretty simple and cheap to implement.

Cadet+ is still in the production stages. Currently we really want to use Newark as it's the only US destination that fits the bill for the ETOPS flight with a funky RNP approach at the end, but the scenery is pretty horrible once you're on the ground. Pity no one has ever done a decent EWR.

So no preorder just yet, but we will look at it once we wrap up production in the next few weeks.

• Upvote 1

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Hi Ben,

I've got a question for you.

Video 012 and 014. I didn't saw you fill out the "takeoff ref" page 2, is there a reason for it?

Looking forward to the next video releases Bring%20It%20On.gif:good:.

Kind regards.

Cees van der Linden

Hi Ben,

I've got a question for you.

Video 012 and 014. I didn't saw you fill out the "takeoff ref" page 2, is there a reason for it?

Looking forward to the next video releases Bring%20It%20On.gif:good:.

Kind regards.

Hi Cees

We used the standard Air America acceleration of 800/800/Flaps 1 for both those videos as no noise abatement was required. So strictly speaking we could have gone into that page and made the numbers BIG (Myron's favourite thing - straight lines/big numbers) to show that they were pilot selected instead of the small numbers that the FMC puts in by default. But there were other things to talk about so I imagine we skipped that page, good catch though. 

We start to fiddle with those numbers in the next few episodes, so you'll see what they do. 

Cheers

Ben

I want to express my impression.

(May be when I finish 777 Cadet & Q400 FO my opinion will change, nevertheless.) What I assume from tutorial video: 1.) To know how airplanes are flying in real life. 2.) To get theory about airplanes and flights to save time on reading tons of documents.

(I don't like AoA - as I don't like to see how they make mistakes in teaching video.) 

While I was watching Q400 Cadet training I met all these points. I read SOP of an airline and I glad to see how much information I already know thanks to your video (flaps speeds, standard procedures etc.). There are few things which were not covered, but It is impossible to show everything. While watching 777 video - I have a feeling of lack of info (why g/s capture at 170 kts, what are the speed flaps restrictions in what cases you can get LOC approach etc.). It is very interesting to see system redundancy, features, to master different approaches, but I feel that landing the plane is not enough for 40$ and over 20 hours of watching. First of all I expected to see long haul flights & ETOPS and I realy disappointed to see that it will be in another training in March, which I will buy for sure but feeling of overpricing raised inside me.

As a little conclusion: I like what you do, I wish you to produce more interesting products, but not forget that some customers expect reasonable hours/knowledge ratio.

P.S. think that your next course should be A320 as an airplane with absolutely different logic and until not so many years passed from the launch of addon.

I have had the issue I saw in the last video.    Switching from FLCH or VS to VNAV with my airspeed set at 170 ... Airspeed resets to some much higher speed and destabilizes the approach.

I will check to see if it happens in both PMDG on FSX and FF 777 in X-Plane.    I had thought i must have set up something incorrectly until I saw it happen to you and Myron.

I want to express my impression.

(May be when I finish 777 Cadet & Q400 FO my opinion will change, nevertheless.) What I assume from tutorial video: 1.) To know how airplanes are flying in real life. 2.) To get theory about airplanes and flights to save time on reading tons of documents.

(I don't like AoA - as I don't like to see how they make mistakes in teaching video.) 

While I was watching Q400 Cadet training I met all these points. I read SOP of an airline and I glad to see how much information I already know thanks to your video (flaps speeds, standard procedures etc.). There are few things which were not covered, but It is impossible to show everything. While watching 777 video - I have a feeling of lack of info (why g/s capture at 170 kts, what are the speed flaps restrictions in what cases you can get LOC approach etc.). It is very interesting to see system redundancy, features, to master different approaches, but I feel that landing the plane is not enough for 40$ and over 20 hours of watching. First of all I expected to see long haul flights & ETOPS and I realy disappointed to see that it will be in another training in March, which I will buy for sure but feeling of overpricing raised inside me.

As a little conclusion: I like what you do, I wish you to produce more interesting products, but not forget that some customers expect reasonable hours/knowledge ratio.

P.S. think that your next course should be A320 as an airplane with absolutely different logic and until not so many years passed from the launch of addon.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always grateful to any of our customers for investing in our products and feel that you've got every right to tell us how you feel about things. 

I would say however that teaching someone to fly a large jet like the 777 cannot be done in a few hours, or even 20. We wanted to cover the basic aspects of flying the aircraft first which is all the stuff we've covered so far and now as we move into the line flying portion you'll see how to tackle a variety of different approaches and departures around the world. With this done - and boy did it take longer than we expected! - it came down to squeezing in a quick bit on long haul and call it done, or do a second set of training which covers all that in the detail and quality that we strive for and charge a little bit more money for it. Most people seem happy to shell out the cost of a pizza on doing so and I'm delighted that you will too, and hopefully by then be comfortable with the pricing on it. 

Watch it to the end and then let's revisit this, that's all I ask. 

A320 we have on the board, but we need the rather evasive P3D version of the FSL A320 to do it with so that's out of our hands for the time being. Hopefully it won't be too long. The 717 is actually the next one we will cover. 

I have had the issue I saw in the last video.    Switching from FLCH or VS to VNAV with my airspeed set at 170 ... Airspeed resets to some much higher speed and destabilizes the approach.

I will check to see if it happens in both PMDG on FSX and FF 777 in X-Plane.    I had thought i must have set up something incorrectly until I saw it happen to you and Myron.

It's a hard one to replicate. Apparently the real one is the same! 

In fairness to Ben, Myron and the guys at Airline2Sim who are doing an excellent job, the reason for the localiser approach was explained from around 9 minutes to 11 minutes 15 seconds of the part 14 video. Obviously there is a lot more detail to that, but they gave a fairly substantial explanation, bearing in mind that these videos are not aimed at teaching instrument approaches and instrument flying. Also, you mentioned having watched the Q 400 Cadet training, so i'd like to suggest that you revisit that material as there is a flight which explains the Localizer approach in a bit more detail and the reason for it being given by ATC.

Also, just to briefly say that the glideslope intercept will be approximately 6.2 NM (position PERLY) from the approach end of the runway at PHNL. At 170 knots that distance will be covered in just over 2 minutes, so it is important to have the airplane slowed up and fully configured at a reasonable distance. Points to note as well, is that 170 is the flap 15 speed in that video. A flap 20 setting will require the landing gear to be down (increased drag) and since airlines like to save money, a min drag (minimum drag) approach is always a good idea.

Clearly a lot of real world procedures are at play here, but all cannot be explained as they will simply make the videos exceedingly long and also defeat the real purpose of the video, which is to teach a flight simmer how to fly the aircraft with a greater degree of realism, accuracy and appreciation.

Keep up the excellent work Ben and Myron.... :good:

Correction...position PERLY is the Final Approach Fix (FAF) as indicated by the Maltese cross (was typing too fast....lol)  :fool:  :P  :lol:

• Upvote 1