Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

777 Cadet Training Program - Released!

I have re-flown the Hawaii flights several times because I have had the VNAV and Autothrottles do things I did not expect.     So I moved on to San Diego and I learned what the problem was when Myron explained it.    Switch from VNAV Path to VNAV speed.    That does not happen in what I currently fly.   DA-2000 always honors VNAV path and altitudes.  So that is a gotchya coming from a different auto flight system

I did touchdown in the the touchdown zone in San Diego, Ben  :) 

Am a bit late with this, so just a bit of late feedback. I`m enjoying the course as much as the Dash-8 training, just the latter felt more streamlined.

Watched the 4 part training flight yesterday and occasionally had a hard time not to fall asleep. There is sooo much talking. Sure it needs to serve a broad audience from beginner to long time simmer. So I don`t mean the amount of information. It`s just some stuff like the MCP entries or the departure brief get repeated over and over again, sometimes 3-4 times. Felt a bit too much talking for my taste.

Some streamlining (less repetitive) of further training courses would be great.

Anyway, just some feedback, not really meant as criticism.

Keep up the great work. 

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

7 minutes ago, mikealpha said:

Am a bit late with this, so just a bit of late feedback. I`m enjoying the course as much as the Dash-8 training, just the latter felt more streamlined.

Watched the 4 part training flight yesterday and occasionally had a hard time not to fall asleep. There is sooo much talking. Sure it needs to serve a broad audience from beginner to long time simmer. So I don`t mean the amount of information. It`s just some stuff like the MCP entries or the departure brief get repeated over and over again, sometimes 3-4 times. Felt a bit too much talking for my taste.

Some streamlining (less repetitive) of further training courses would be great.

Anyway, just some feedback, not really meant as criticism.

Keep up the great work. 

Mike

I'd agree with that (though, must admit that most tutorial videos by anyone tend to put me to sleep, so there's that :) ).  One thing I thought might be useful is, if you're doing a flow where there's a lot of talking, do a review of the entire flow afterward.  "So, for a VOR/DME, the steps are..."  Or, maybe a flow and, also beside it, an expanded flow with all the reasons, crosschecks, good to knows and everything else.  Capt Ashcraft is just a wonderful pick for this series. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

22 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Or, maybe a flow and, also beside it, an expanded flow with all the reasons, crosschecks, good to knows and everything else.  Capt Ashcraft is just a wonderful pick for this series. 

Yeah, that`s a good point. I felt Myron often gets interrupted explaining flows by lots of questions. Some of them reasonable of course, but some stuff was maybe unnecessary for an airplane specific training. E.g. questions like "what happens to an airplane if it flies too fast". I think that should be part of a general aviation course, so just focusing on the 777 would make it more streamlined.

So it was a bit difficult to extract the flows from the training flight.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

Great programs and enjoy them - my only suggestion would be some sort of chapter/bookmarking of the videos. Say a mark in the individual clip/video that you can click to that might be engine startup or shutdown etc etc. This will make it much easier if we can't watch a whole video at once or I want to skip to a particular part of a video to double check or practice.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Ben,

I've purchased the 777 Cadet program a couple of weeks ago and had not been able to watch those hours of flying since now.. My cousin has been a captain on the 737 for many years and has a 1 year experience on the 777 as a F/O. When she visited the family the last 2 weeks we decided to run a 777 marathon and we really loved it. The calm and relaxed/ing personality of Cpt Myron Ashcraft in combination with your curiousity really makes the perfect flight deck study crew. Perfect match!

First I was a little bit doubtful if it was worth paying 40$ for such a highly automated aircraft everyone thinks to know how to fly. But it was worth every Penny and I have learnt a massive amount, even though I know the 737NG very well thanks to my cousin. I am looking forward to get the other programs.

Great idea to create them! Thanks.

Greets,

Marc

On 12/08/2017 at 6:51 PM, sumnr5@yahoo.com said:

Very much enjoyed the cadet program. Do you have a target date for the cadet+ program? thanks

Sorry for the delay in replying- it’s still in the works. 

On 14/09/2017 at 1:20 PM, Ephedrin said:

Ben,

I've purchased the 777 Cadet program a couple of weeks ago and had not been able to watch those hours of flying since now.. My cousin has been a captain on the 737 for many years and has a 1 year experience on the 777 as a F/O. When she visited the family the last 2 weeks we decided to run a 777 marathon and we really loved it. The calm and relaxed/ing personality of Cpt Myron Ashcraft in combination with your curiousity really makes the perfect flight deck study crew. Perfect match!

First I was a little bit doubtful if it was worth paying 40$ for such a highly automated aircraft everyone thinks to know how to fly. But it was worth every Penny and I have learnt a massive amount, even though I know the 737NG very well thanks to my cousin. I am looking forward to get the other programs.

Great idea to create them! Thanks.

Greets,

Marc

Marc, thanks for the kind words. It’s only when you watch these videos do you realise actually how little most of us in the sim world really know...

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from flying your 777 with your new knowledge. 

• Upvote 1

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Hi guys,

Will I learn anything new that I already didn't by watching "Captain Nav" YouTube channel?

Looking for an honest answer here since going through 20h of videos just to learn one or two minor items is a bit overpriced for me (in terms of time - not money).

Wojtek

In all honesty, the site appears to be broken right now and has been for a couple of months.  (You can download the large files but can't really stream them.) I'm not sure what Ben's status is right now and I'm at least a bit concerned.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I realize Ben is not back yet, but maybe someone else can answer this question.  In the last video of the training flight they are flying in Heading Select mode after turning back to VECKI.  Then there is a pause and when it resumes, they are in LNAV mode.  I can't get that to happen correctly. If I press the SEL button, nothing happens.  If I press LNAV, it shows in white under Heading Select in the PFD.  How did the get rid of the Heading Select?

Bob Zolto

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg