Sign in to follow this  
N9718

Issues with HD Mesh Scenery v3

I'm new to XPlane 10/11 and I'm beginning to dip my toe into the addons. One of the first addons I've tried is HD Mesh Scenery v3. So far, I'd say my reaction is mixed. The default XP10 scenery seems to be superior when it comes to displaying dense metropolitan areas (i.e. cities). I've flown over several metro areas, and with HD Mesh Scenery enabled many of the buildings disappear and make the metro area seem smaller than it actually is.

This morning I was flying just south of New Orleans and came upon this beauty...

cessna_172sp_1.png?w=676

Another view...

cessna_172sp_2.png?w=676

Not sure what this is, but it appears to be a bug with HD Mesh Scenery. At least, I don't remember seeing this landmark when I visited New Orleans recently.

Here's an example of downtown New Orleans, with Base XP10 mesh versus HD Scenery Mesh

Base XP10

cessna_172sp_7.png?w=680

With HD Scenery Mesh

cessna_172sp_4.png?w=680

FSX Gold SP2 (FSGen + GEX + UTX + REX) --- XP10 / XP11 --- MSFS 2020

Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz / 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo / MFG Crosswind v3

About New Orleans I recommend reading the "known issues" on the official HD Mesc Scenery v3 website ;-)

And cities. Haven't been the strength until now (its real strehgth is natural landscape). But cities should improve in the future (with coming version).

• Upvote 2

About New Orleans I recommend reading the "known issues" on the official HD Mesc Scenery v3 website ;-)

Is this what you describe as a "land bridge"?

Hmm .... sorry I am away from my computer ... and I mistakenly remembered it the wrong way.

Previously we had more issues with this spikes, but most should be gone (so no, this is not about land bridges).

But there are still a few such errors .... And they are simply related to data spikes (noise etc.) in the raw elevation data. Something I can never fully avoid / fix , and thus is an accepted side effect.

But there are still a few such errors .... And they are simply related to data spikes (noise etc.) in the raw elevation data. Something I can never fully avoid / fix , and thus is an accepted side effect.

Well, apparently the same "data spike" is present in XP11. I just flew the same route in XP11 (stock scenery) and it shows up there as well. Interesting.

Same raw data, same result ;-)

(or if you use the same HD Mesh Scenery v3, then the more you get the same result)

Happy new year by the way ;-)!

Same raw data, same result ;-)

(or if you use the same HD Mesh Scenery v3, then the more you get the same result)

Happy new year by the way ;-)!

Understand. No, I didn't load HD Mesh Scenery to XP11 yet. I'm lucky to get 10+ FPS with default and medium settings. Like I said in another thread, I'm not ready to spend $400+ on a new GPU. So, until then, I'll need to settle for FSX and XP10 for my regular flying.

Happy New Year to you as well.