Sign in to follow this  
AirProudPilot

Tweaking/getting more fps.

;-; you have beast pc's soo you can get more frames while a here with a crap HP computer :sad: any help i really want to fly my pmdg 777

In the PMDG performance menu in the FMC, change the fps setting to 10 for every display except the PFD to 15 in the 3D VC

Turn hyperthreading off in your bios. Make sure you have an updated bios, and all updated drivers.

Move your fsx.cfg file to your desktop and let it rebuild. Then only add the affinitymask section setting best for your cpu.

Did you run all the simconnect installers and follow the PMDG guide?

Did you setup fsx sliders according to that guide and the avsim guide? put mesh to 5m and autogen to normal. water to 1x high.

Many more things you can do after this but this should help get smooth fsx flying. AMD is not the first choice for fsx so search around for AMD guides to make changes using their software.

Tweaking is just that. Making small improvements to a solid installation. Sounds like you don't have that. Try backing up your fsx.cfg then deleting it and let fsx build a new one. Better or worse? The 777 is a beast sim in itself. Running it before your base fsx is stable and smooth will cause problems.

I didn't always have a beast pc. I had crappy ones too. When I first got the 737 ngx I had to turn down every setting to zero and fly only at night so the scenery wouldn't bother me. If the 777 is your main reason to fly you could try the same. Flying in the dark is better than a slideshow in the day!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

First thing is to go with Windows 7 Pro x64. Tried W10 myself but reinstalled W7, and I did not regret it.

Found that W7 is much more reliable on my system than W10.

:-)

I used Win 7 Pro since it intro. Switched to Win 10 After the deadline using the free ISO. I found it so good I purchased another copy for a different machine. I did a clean install of FSX-SE and let it install in Program Files(X86).

I found Win 10 to be much better at networking than Win 7. I run Aivlasoft Data provider on 1 machine and the EFB on the other.

Thru all the updates and so on I have had 0 problems, period. One night my son in-law tripped a circuit breaker by accident and killed my power, I was on a flight. With restoration of power and a reboot I found myself exactly where I was when the power went out. I know it's hard to believe but so help me god it's true. I couldn't believe my eyes for a minute! I do not for the life of me understand why some have so many problems with Win 10. MS is nosy and all that for sure. However you can shut out a lot of fluff and you may have to repeat with some updates. I don't find it a big deal, a few minutes of my time is worth the stability I see with Win 10.

With regard to FSX-SE, I found recently that Dovetails installation in Program Files(x86) you have no need to worry about user control, they fixed that. I would advise you to go into the exceptions of any anti virus apps to stop em from screwing around with FS files, including add-ons. 

With Win 10 and FSX-SE I have a much better experience with flying PMDG aircraft!

Best wishes

BaldyB

Have to add here that I am using FSX-SE and due to worsening frame rates and crashes I decided to delete fsx.cfg like I used to do back in the day with boxed edition to rebuild it. Now FSX SE crashes on load every time. It creates a new fsx.cfg then crashes leaving it blank.

So I restored from the back up I made and it loaded again.

I wonder if anyone else can confirm that with the Steam Edition deleting/renaming fsx.cfg is no longer an option? ie instant crash on load after?

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I wonder if anyone else can confirm that with the Steam Edition deleting/renaming fsx.cfg is no longer an option? ie instant crash on load after?

Hi Russell,

I wish I could confirm the issue, but I just deleted my FSX.SE.CFG and it was rebuilt without issue and FSX:SE started okay.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

So I restored from the back up I made and it loaded again.

Could be Russell

Where did you install FSX-SE. Like I said, It wants to be in Program Files(X86). No need to worry about user control/permissions etc. Don't forget about exceptions in virus and other spyware apps. If you installed in the root of your HD i.e. C:FSX it may make a difference. It may look for the .cfg file In the wrong place? Not sure what else to suggest. I do know that this is the best implementation of FSX I have ever had! Good frames, smooth as silk every where I fly with the PMDG aircraft and that was before I installed an AMD RX-480 for Oculus VR and Flyinside.

Best

BaldyB

Denis Bolduc

I installed it in its own steam/ folder on the ssd main drive. Fastest ssd in system (funny how once you go all ssd you want go even faster!)

I have a number of addons, ftx/global/vector/regions/airports as2016/rex and have no folder/permission conflicts.

The only thing I couldn't do was delete the cfg!

Don't want let steam verify/rebuild too many changes from default.

Well i went in and manually edited the cfg like the old days, removing highmem fix etc as no longer needed and got my PMDG/Orbx Airport (ex-dense settings) frames back to 20 from the appalling

9/10 I was getting last night (was a very late night).

Took me all morning but it was worth it. Backed up the GOOD cfg file too of course.

Thanks for suggestions and help!

Russ

I feel like fps rating all the Orbx airports and making a spreadsheet (like I did for the instrument aids available) as they do differ in complexity somewhat The above 20fps is PMDG 738 OrbX AS2016 Realtime Wx / KSEZ with All Global/Vector/Regions/Airports for all the world activated at once (for testing see if it makes a difference actually turning those not in use off - 86 Airports loaded at present)

(Tongass Fjords X loaded)

Also FS Global Next world map all regions.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

<----------- THIS IS FSX STEAM -------------->

With FSX Steam, i only use affinity mask and usepools=0(water at least at high 2x needed)tweaks. They help performance(fps). Texture loading is tweaked well by default with FSX Steam. In addition, i use  vsync tweak - 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia inspector with 30fps locked inside fsx(for smoothness)

Not so much need for tweaking these days. I'm sure most of us have decent rigs now. I don't run any now compared to some years ago with my old PC. Though it could be frustrating it was sort of a hobby in itself then.

Kind Regards

Simon.

??

I realised the problem it was of a setting in the fsx setting but i get higher frames any links for amazing tweaks i used kotfas one alredy is there a tool that could do it for you