Sign in to follow this  
pbandpickleboy

Unable to Open FSX

Not exactly a CTD issue, but here goes.

I came hear about a year ago with a similar issue. When I go to open FSX, an error pops up saying it detected an error with FSCopilot.dll. Selecting "yes" to run it causes the simulator to crash and close. Selecting "no" allows the simulator to run just fine, but then I cannot connect to VATSIM. The initial error report showed FSCopilot.dll to be the faulting module, but I've also gotten ntdll.dll crashes, and a bunch of unkowns.

I've attempted to repair FSX, after which I got 2 simprop.dll crashes, repair Acceleration, uninstall and reinstall Acceleration while repairing FSX in between, and remove FSX.cfg (copying it to a safe location first) in order to let the simulator rebuild it. All of these have been unsuccessful. Removing FSCopilot.dll from the Modules folder solves the issue, but I need that file to connect to VATSIM.

The only change I made recently was installing the Project OpenSky 777, which is around when the issues started. I'm not sure if the two could be related, but I've since uninstalled the aircraft.

A few other things that could be worth noting. I run FSInn on two computers, hosting FSCopilot on my laptop (the sim computer) and running the UI on another laptop. I run Windows 10 which was upgraded from Windows 7 a long time ago before this happened.

I'm thinking my next attempt is going to be uinstalling and reinstalling FSInn and FSCopilot. I am aware that uninstalling and reinstalling FSX itself is a last resort. I remember deleting a line from the registry being a big help last time, but I don't know what line it was so I won't go messing around this time without help. I will also post this on the VATSIM forums in hope to get some combined wisdom. I appreciate any help I can get.

Shame on me for using the wrong "here." Maybe I should proofread before posting next time. I also just want to add that the issue I had last year was very similar. but with FSUIPC4.dll. The ntdll.dll crashes were also, I believe, solely when that aircraft was installed if that makes a difference.

The AVSIM CTD Guide (link in my signature) should help you.  For your information, the first thing FSX does when starting up is to load every module in via your dll.xml.  If there is an issue with any module, FSX will crash or not get to the setup screen.  If you move or rename the dll.xml, none of the modules will load and fsx should successfully startup.  This is important as, if fsx starts up successfully without the dll.xml, you know it is not fsx or Acceleration.  It is an addon module.  It will also tell you that your installation of Project Opensky 777 is not causing the crash.

I have seen a lot of crashes here involving fscopilot and/or fsinn.  The developer on the website says it has to be installed properly and it will work. 

An ntdll.dll crash can be caused by a missing or corrupted module being loaded by the dll.xml.  I have seen it if fsuipc.dll is not the proper version or ASN is not the proper version.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, Jim. Here's what I've got.

After moving dll.xml to a temporary folder, the simulator did indeed start  with no issues. When it asks to authorize all the modules, it crashes after FSCopilot.dll. Disabling that module allows the simulator to start with no issues.

I would think FSCopilot and FSInn would be installed properly since they worked just fine about a week ago, and long before that.

I believe the ntdll.dll crashes occurred while I had FSCopilot.dll out of the Modules folder.

It is currently in the Modules folder, so I'm thinking it somehow got corrupted somewhere. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling FSInn and FSCopilot.

Okay, I just uninstalled and reinstalled FSInn and FSCopilot. Nothing. Crash with an unknown module, but it occurred after authorizing FSZCopilot.dll.

Okay,

Check and make sure FSCopilot.dll is in the "Modules" folder of FSX.  Same place where the FSUIPC.dll file is located.  While I'm thinking of it, make sure something you installed...like the POSKY B777...didn't put an outdated version of FSUIPC.dll there. Some addons include a version of FSUIPC that no longer works.

Anyway, assuming those are there and "good", next open "dll.xml" with Notepad.  You can find it by typing on your windows start menu search bar "%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX" (without the quotation marks).

Inside that folder's location is where dll.xml will be.

Make sure this entry...

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FSCopilot</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Path>Modules\FSCopilot.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

...is the last entry in the xml list.  Then try to start FSX and log in to VATSIM again.

Also make sure FSX is running as administrator.

Randy

didn't put an outdated version of FSUIPC.dll there. Some addons include a version of FSUIPC that no longer works.

Good point!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10