Sign in to follow this  

Installation path in a txt file somewhere...?

I had some computer problems and probably will have to reinstall Windows 10. Now the great thing about XP is, afaik, that it is mobile so I can easily copy the entire XP on any disk I want and start using it after installing Windows 10. Right? That is a MAJOR advantage over for instance P3D where you have to spend hours getting everything installed again. 

Anyway, I do remember reading somewhere that you can indeed copy the XP folder to any place you want BUT it would be a good idea to update the path to that folder in some sort of text file that tells the computer where XP is installed so any future addons you want to install can find XP more easily. I can't however find that post about that txt file anywhere anymore... Is there indeed such a text file and if so, where is it? Or isn't this needed at all?

The idea of installing Windows all over again and then being able to use XP right away is truly awesome!

In your user directory there is a hidden AppData folder. There's a subfolder "Local", and in there are several X-Plane related files. One of these text files includes your X-Plane path. (For example on my PC this is under C:\Users\mario\AppData\Local").

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

In your user directory there is a hidden AppData folder. There's a subfolder "Local", and in there are several X-Plane related files. One of these text files includes your X-Plane path. (For example on my PC this is under C:\Users\mario\AppData\Local").

Ah, ok, thanks! But er... if I reinstall Windows entirely there won't be an X-Plane folder...? Or is that folder created as soon as you run XP? (Due to my problems I might not be able to access my current C drive anymore to make a copy of that hidden folder.)

This file really just includes the folder path. For example, on my PC the file x-plane_install_11.txt just has the following content:

D:\X-Plane 11/

That's it.

You can simply create this file with Notepad after you re-installed Windows.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

This file really just includes the folder path. For example, on my PC the file x-plane_install_11.txt just has the following content:

D:\X-Plane 11/

That's it.

You can simply create this file with Notepad after you re-installed Windows.

Ok, cool! Thanks too for the proper filename because without it it wouldn't work, I suppose.  :wink: