Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Finally! Ian Broadbent's freeware Blackpool airport working.....

.....with collision detection on!

Being local to me, one of the first airports I searched for when I got FSX:SE last year was good old EGNH. Ian's scenery does a good job of creating a relatively modern EGNH (even though there's only GA & small tiny commercial flights happening there currently) and places a reasonable model of Blackpool Tower (no NOT the control tower, the 500ft tall tourist attraction) in the right place. Ideal for me seeing as I'm using photoreal scenery (no autogen). Anyhow, there was an issue when taking off on RWY28 heading out to sea. The invisible building crashes were happening despite being about 1000 feet up. No structure is remotely close to that height near the airport. Over the recent holidays I decided to have another look and see if I could cure the issue.

I think I tracked the issue down to the inskip.bgl. I've deleted that and everything seems fine. (Inskip IRL was an old wartime airfield (Royal Navy Air Station  - HMS Nightjar) a few miles away, now it's a military radio installation.) 

If only there was a freeware Big One - the famous rollercoaster on the nearby Pleasure Beach. I suppose I could have a go with ADE and place a generic FSX coaster there...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi Mark, have you looked at UK2000 and their Blakckpool airport. It seems decent to me, though I've never actually flown into/out of there. I wonder if Orbx has Blackpool tower? You've got me wondering, if not I migt have to drop a scaled down Eiffel tower in there using the wonderful Instant Scenery 3.

• Upvote 1

UK2000's version is fs2004 not FSX :) Thanks for the suggestion!

On the bright side - Ian's scenery does give me the Tower, just no coaster, or piers or Sandcastle complex.. However, that's a price to be paid for photoreal; no autogen :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

UK 2000 is supposedly having a stab at Blackpool for FS/P3D this year according to their website. Handy if anyone wants to do the virtual version of the Hundred Dollar Hamburger to the wild west diner on the Blackpool seafront - which is good place to eat actually if anyone really ever does go there :-)

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Blackpool is included in UK2000 Vol3 Airfields (FSX) (as is Warton EGNO) and very good it is blending well with Horizon photoscenery. I have V1 and am not sure whether the recently issued V2 reflects the recent downgrading.

Hi Mark, have you looked at UK2000 and their Blakckpool airport. It seems decent to me, though I've never actually flown into/out of there. I wonder if Orbx has Blackpool tower? You've got me wondering, if not I migt have to drop a scaled down Eiffel tower in there using the wonderful Instant Scenery 3.

Hi Paul, yes, Orbx England does portray Blackpool Tower, but don't hold your breath for the rest of the area.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776