Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

iPad apps for FSX:SE

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a good map following app for my iPad to work with FSX:SE. Basically I want to try my GA aircraft's flight plan on a map. The two apps I've seen recommended the most so far are FSXFollow and RemoteFlight.

Do these apps still work with FSX:SE are they still recommended or are their other apps that others prefer? 

Also, any other good FSX:SE apps to have for iPhone/iPad? 

What I'm using for FSX:SE now, and also for my real world training. Is Foreflight (well, I'm in US so Foreflight has lots of information). And use a freeware software to connect it with FSX:SE.

Not sure if this is the one that you are looking for.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Foreflight requires a pricey subscription though as good as it is and provides a lot of extra depth for the real pilot that might not be needed in sim.

Remote flight is great even though it's not the cheapest but I use it quite a lot. Can select map or satellite photo. Choose the aircraft icon to display and lock to aircraft following or free roaming and zooming. Also displays height, speed and heading. Can load flightplan in over the wifi and it will overlay the plan on the map.

Hope that helps

Chris

+1 for Remote Flight. Their HD radio stack is also excellent.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Little Navmap gets good reviews. Don't use it yet but will when I have time. Little Navconnect. allows networking and I believe you can use an I Pad. It's freeware. Has moving map flight planner and a slew of other good features. Well worth checking out.

Best wishes

BaldyB

Hi Folks,

If you live and fly in North America - FltplanGO - is the only FREE geo-referenced source of approach plates (your aircraft position is displayed on approach plates and taxi diagrams) I'm aware of... Normally - it's an expensive option to your RW EFB... FltPlanGO is a real world flight planner that includes connections to Apple, Android, and Windows tablets for FSX/P3D/XP - in addition - the website has flight planning profiles built for just about every GA and Biz Jet known to man... Best thing since sliced bread and it doesn't cost a dime...

In depth discussion:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/471387-fltplan-go-app-for-ipad-way-cool/page-1?hl=+fltplango

http://fltplan.com/

4d58c9ab107ea3a84af85ee38f240e31_zpshlw9

c25994186a9e02bbd71714f4417fe653_zpstpt5

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Members

1,517 posts

Posted Today, 07:22 AM

Hi Folks,If you live and fly in North America - FltplanGO - is the only FREE geo-referenced source of approach plates (your aircraft position is displayed on approach plates and taxi diagrams) I'm aware of... Normally - it's an expensive option to your RW EFB... FltPlanGO is a real world flight planner that includes connections to Apple, Android, and Windows tablets for FSX/P3D/XP - in addition - the website has flight planning profiles built for just about every GA and Biz Jet known to man... Best thing since sliced bread and it doesn't cost a dime...In depth discussion:http://www.avsim.com...1?hl= fltplango

Hi Scott

I believe I read somewhere that a guy can get in hot water because it is as you state, a real world flight planner.  I think I read that if you press the wrong button and actually file a flight plan, as a simmer, and the real world traffic controllers think your real then you could be in real trouble? I guess they have a very dim view of folks filing fake flight plans accidently or otherwise, they may also be prosecuted for doing so.

I will say it looks pretty damn nice!

Best

BaldyB

Hi Baldy,

It would be pretty tough to inadvertently file an FAA flight plan - I'm a RW pilot as well and file flight plans regularly (my fltplan account is not setup for this)... You would have to setup a profile in your account with all the pertinent information to do so and email FltPlan asking them to allow FAA filing... They also make it very clear when you're filing an FAA Flight Plan... FltPlan makes their money on small little advertisements for FBO's and such on some of their web pages - they're pretty unobtrusive... So they really WANT traffic to their site which is why I would assume they programmed their applications to be compatible with all the major sims (more traffic = more revenue)... If accidentally filing is the only concern you have preventing you from trying it - I'd suggest that it not be - it's safe - really...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Another recommendation for the FltPlan app.  I've been out of simming for a couple of years, but had previously used Foreflight.  While i HIGHLY recommend Foreflight, it is tough to justify the yearly cost for the incremental (from the simmer perspective) benefits and ease of use, especially given that I'm still not sure how much I'll get to fly, so I went with the cheaper (FREE!) solution.  While FltPlan isn't quite as good as Foreflight, it's still a very, very strong and professional offering - and did anyone mention it's free?  :-) 

BTW, as for the "getting in trouble" question - honestly it's absolutely NOT an issue.  As the other Scott mentions, it's very clear what you have to do to actually file, and it's not something you can do lightly or by accident.  And FltPlan directly supports sim use with built in settings for both FSX and Xplane, as well as a downloadable app (again directly from them) to provide the necessary link on the PC side of things.  They are 100% in support of sim usage, so cast that concern aside, get it and enjoy!  All you need to do is to register and create your (FREE!) account at FltPlan.com, download the PC app and pick up the mobile app from the App Store.

Once you've flown with an app like this, you won't want to fly any other way.

Scott

• Upvote 1

Not even sure I'm talking about the flight planners you guys mention. Just thought I would throw what I read in there as a safety  consideration. May apply to a different planner?

In any event it's good to know the planners you describe are safe to use!

Best

BaldyB

I use ForeFlight for both real world flying and simulated flying. As others have said it is not possible to accidentally file a flight plan, and even if you did, you would not "Be in trouble" unless you open the flight plan, which is a whole other step involving making a phone call or an actual radio call to an FSS. Flight plans are to flying as leaving an itinerary with a ranger is to hiking. When flying the thing that will really get you in trouble is if you file a flight plan, open it, and then forget to close it. If you do that the FAA assumes you have crashed and they start search and rescue procedures. You are not going to get in trouble using flight planning software for simulated flying especially if you don't file and open a flight plan.

Take a look at iGMapHD from FSWidgets.  You can track your flight over street maps, sectionals, low or high enroute maps. Using dropbox you can import a FSX flight plan and your route will be shown on any of the various maps.  It does not include approach and arrival charts.

Tom